[net.lang.f77] nonstandard fortran carriage control?

z@rocksvax.UUCP (Jim Ziobro) (04/12/85)

It looks like a VMS program (SYE actually) produces a '$' carraige control
character.  As best I can tell what it means is space one line, concantenate
the following lines up to and including a line with a '+' carraige control.
Does anyone have any info on this?  Fpr doesn't do what is right.

--
//Z\\
James M. Ziobro

carl@sdcsvax.UUCP (Carl Lowenstein) (04/16/85)

In article <1103@rocksvax.UUCP> z@rocksvax.UUCP (Jim Ziobro) writes:
>It looks like a VMS program (SYE actually) produces a '$' carraige control
>character.  As best I can tell what it means is space one line, concantenate
>the following lines up to and including a line with a '+' carraige control.

Making the rash assumption that most DEC Fortrans do the same thing with
carriage control, '$' means "don't make a <cr> at the end of this text."
The most common reason for doing this is an interactive situation where
you would like to prompt the user, and then wait on the same line for
the answer.

tihor@acf4.UUCP (Stephen Tihor) (04/17/85)

To quote from the DEC VAX-11 Fortran Language Reference Manual (all text
printed in blue ink, denoting a DEC extension to Fortran-77.)

	$	Prompting: starts output at the beginning of the next line
		and supresses carraige return at the end of line

Since SYE is the VMS error log analysis program I think that they can be
forgiven for using a DEC extension.