[net.music] Electronic music

levasseur@morgan.DEC (01/05/85)

  I originally got turned on to Milke Oldfield in college. I have all his
albums and wonder what happened to him after the QB album. Since then I
have collected most of the Pink Floyd lp's, Jean Michael Jarre, Vangelis,
and a couple of Klaus schultz imports. One cut from K. Schultz in part-
icul is interesting, "Silent Running" from the Transcefer album. A friend
who smokes pot borrowed the lp and told me he had never heard anything
like Silent running before (blew him away!) I gave into his request to give
it a try and listened to Silent Running while stoned (I had given up get-
ting stoned 13 years ago as an adolescent phase). The cut has conscious-
ness altering qualities all by itself. If anyone else has heard this piece
I'de appreciate hearing your opinions.
  Before closing I'de like to bring up Tangerine Dream. I first heard them
3 years ago while on vacation in San Francisco. I bought one album which was
pure trash. I've heard their music in the movie soundtracks to "Wavelength"
and "Firestarter" and enjoyed both. Could anyone give me suggestions as to
which T.D. albums are good and worth purchasing. At $8-9 a shot, I hate
taking a gamble on just buying T.D. albums at random.

         "Nipper never heard it so good"

                         Ray

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (01/07/85)

>	From: levasseur@morgan.DEC

>	One cut from K. Schultz in particul is interesting, "Silent
>	Running" from the Transcefer album. A friend who smokes pot
>	borrowed the lp and told me he had never heard anything like
>	Silent running before (blew him away!) I gave into his request
>	to give it a try and listened to Silent Running while stoned (I
>	had given up getting stoned 13 years ago as an adolescent
>	phase). The cut has consciousness altering qualities all by
>	itself. If anyone else has heard this piece I'de appreciate
>	hearing your opinions.

I have the album "Trancefer" and think it is incredible.  Strangely,
it's not "Silent Running" that I like so much, but the other side "A Few
Minutes After Trancefer", which is a completely hallucinogenic piece of
music.

Unfortunately, I liked this album so much that I went out and bought a
bunch of other Klaus Schulze albums and none of them are nearly as good.
"Cyborg" in particular is a hundred minutes of sonic torture.  "Dune"
and "Timewind" are okay, I guess, but not worth N bucks.

I also bought an album "Mosaique" by Robert Schroder that is quite good.
It is produced by Klaus Schulze and is in many ways very similar to
"Trancefer".

P.S.  Go buy "Zoolook" by Jarre right now or else!

P.P.S.  Kate Bush's fifth album is finished and due out in February.  Oh
frabjous day!  Callooh, callay!

P.P.P.S.  And suposedly Pink Floyd has decided to do another album after
all.  Maybe there is a god!
--
				-Doug Alan
				 mit-eddie!nessus

				"What does 'I' mean"?

dave@rocksvax.UUCP (01/07/85)

As for good Tangerene Dream, I like the TANGRAM album quite a bit.
This was used as the soundtrack for the movie "Risky Business".

Speaking of electronic music, have you ever noticed that Vangelis
never seems to know how to end anything.  He usually starts out real
nice but then kind of gets carried away with a particular series and
about the time it seems to have come to its logical end, he just kind
of does a JMP 0 and starts using that theme again and again and again
until you are sick of it.

Other good electronic stuff is from Kitaro.  Most everything of his
I have heard was good.  Walter/Wendy Carlos does some interesting
interpretations.  Try listening to the Switched on Brandeburgs in an
altered state of conciousness!!

Dave

arpa: Sewhuk.HENR@Xerox.ARPA
uucp: {allegra,rochester,amd,sunybcs}!rocksvax!dave

mfs@mhuxr.UUCP (SIMON) (01/08/85)

> Could anyone give me suggestions as to
> which T.D. albums are good and worth purchasing.
>
>                          Ray

You might try "Stratosfear" and/or "Encore", a live concert double.
They are both from 1977-78 and may be out of print, I have not checked
lately. However, TD is remarkable for its consistency. Most of hteir
import LPs (The above were domestic releases and should be cheaper)
are worth listening. Good luck.

Marcel.

bermes@ihu1m.UUCP (Terry Bermes) (01/08/85)

    I used to be into Tangerine Dream but at the moment any titles escape
me. One thing I would suggest is to try the albums before they used drums
or a vocalist (maybe they only did this for one album).

darryl@ISM780.UUCP (01/14/85)

My favorite Tangerine Dream album is Force Majeur.  Especially good if you
like Pink Floyd -- they have a drummer and guitarist on this one.  Comes
in clear vinyl, for those who collect that sort of thing.

	    --Darryl Richman, INTERACTIVE Systems Inc.
	    ...!cca!ima!ism780!darryl
	    The views expressed above are my opinions only.

mkb@cmu-ri-rover.ARPA (Mike Blackwell) (01/21/85)

One of my favorites for electronic medatative music is Synergy (Larry Fast).
The 'Audion' album is particularly good. Other albums include 'Electronic
Relaizations for a Rock Orchestra' and 'Games,' which are enjoyable. Larry
Fast has a private LP, also (which I ordered from a slip inside of one of
the other albums, and took 6 months to arrive), which has some some of his
experimental music, a small description of the work he's done, and pointers
to some magazine articles on his work (which I've never gotten around to
looking up). Neat stuff.

I also like John Michel Jarre 'Equinoxe' and 'Oxygene'. 'China Concerts' is
okay, but 'Magnetic Fields' is more like supermakrket music... 'Essential'
and 'Musik Aus something or the other in german' are collections of stuff
from is other albums, so only interesting if you want to get a preview of
his stuff without buying all the albums. I've heard his new album (Zoolook)
once, and it was interesting (vocals by Laurie Anderson), but I'll wait for
the CD (not available in the US yet, alas).

		cheers, -m-	(mkb@cmu-ri-rover.arpa)