[net.lang.f77] Unit number limit?

stever@tekgen.UUCP (05/23/86)

Does anyone know a way to get around the limit of 20
unit numbers in UNIX 4.2 FORTRAN?

I understand that C allows 31 or so.

--thanks in advance

   Steve Rogers
 ....tektronix!tekgen!stever

david@ztivax.UUCP (06/16/86)

>stever@tekgen
>Does anyone know a way to get around the limit of 20
>unit numbers in UNIX 4.2 FORTRAN?
>
>I understand that C allows 31 or so.

Nope, that is a function of the file descriptors you can have open in
UNIX 4.2: 0-19 (maybe 1-20 in f77, i dunno).

(flame me not - this is NOT some magic UNIX standard limit, , but it IS
a common implementation limit, and its for all the UNIXes I have
seen).

If you want lots of files open, use FILE pointers (is there a way to
get them from f77?  in C we use fopen() instead of open() ).

david@ztivax.UUCP (06/16/86)

Ooops!  I just checked the sources, and fopen() DOES still use
descriptors (it actually calls open()), so you can still only open 20
files on your vanilla 4.2 or sysV implementation.

In article <8300002@ztivax.UUCP>, david@ztivax.UUCP writes:
>Ooops!  I just checked the sources, and fopen() DOES still use
>descriptors (it actually calls open()), so you can still only open 20
>files on your vanilla 4.2 or sysV implementation.

I would HOPE that fopen() still uses descriptors (the OS provides no other way
to stuff input into a file, except maybe mucking with the device con-
taining the files [look ma, several files, one descriptor, system crash!] :-)).

No need to "check the sources" to know THAT!
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!{akgua,homxb,ihnp4,ltuxa,mvuxa,
						vax135}!ttrdc!levy