[net.lang.f77] INTEGER*2 in f77

cmoore@amdimage.UUCP (06/27/86)

Help!  I'm not much of a fortran person, so this may be
a dumb question, but I'm having problems getting something
to work in IBM's Fortran 77 for the IBM PC.  The IBM manual
says that an INTEGER*2 must be in the range of -32767 to 32767.
What happened to -32768???  The manual says that this is an
invalid integer.  Is there really no way to get 8000 hex into
a 2 byte value?  Is this something weird in IBM's implementation,
or is this standard f77?

Any project can be built with a handful of parts if you have
big enough hands.

 Chris Moore (408) 749-4692
 UUCP: {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra}!amdcad!amdimage!cmoore

steve@jplgodo.UUCP (Steve Schlaifer x43171 156/224) (06/30/86)

In article <18@amdimage.UUCP>, cmoore@amdimage.UUCP (chris moore) writes:
> [ summary: IBM/PC Fortran doesn't allow -32768 in INTEGER*2.  Is this
>            standard? ]

There is no INTEGER*2 in the ANSI standard for Fortran '77.  This is a
vendor extension to the language.  Unfortunately, it sounds like they
didn't do a very good job.
--

...smeagol\			Steve Schlaifer
......wlbr->!jplgodo!steve	Advance Projects Group, Jet Propulsion Labs