[net.sport.hoops] Replies to IU folks...

ab3@pucc-h (Darth Wombat) (03/08/84)

> From tischler@ihuxv:
>
> Wombat,
> 	You seem to have a short memory.  Purdue, you'll remember, lost
> by about 25 points at Illinois earlier in the year -- considerably more
> than IU lost by.  Stuff that down your pants!

	Duly stuffed.

	You, too, seem to have a short memory...I'm "Darth Wombat", and
am not related to "Wombat" ( uicsl!wombat) who is a different marsupial netter.

>	I think Illinois played a fantastic game, and IU didn't play badly
> aside from having butter fingers most of the game.

	Well, IU didn't have any enthusiam; they played like zombies,
especially Blab...and IU has a hard time winning when Blab only plays
every other game.

>	You also don't seem to know your own team's schedule, Wombat.  You
> just won a game at Mackey Arena last night.  You now play at Minnesota this
> weekend.  Your welcome for the information.  Illinois has the same 2 foes,
> home vs. Minn. and at Wis.  Illinois will be crowned Big Ten champs due
> to their better overall record.  You can stuff that one down your pants, too,
> Wombat.

	We played *at* Wisconsin.   I'm not sure about the way the Big Ten
resolves ties, though; I wonder if they might not declare Co-champions...it's
a little early for this though, since either Illinois or Purdue might dump a
game before it's all over....

>	As for Knight's treatment of his players, he was the calmest I've
> seen for a long time.  He knew the type of game his team was having and the
> type of game Ill. was playing.  There isn't an awful lot you can do sometimes.
> When Alford turned the ball over early in the game, Knight simply patted him
> on the back.

	Did you see Knight and Alford when Alford made a dumb foul with
about 4:00 to go?  He didn't pat his back...

> 	IU WILL be in the tournament -- there's no doubt about that.  And I
> hope we play you guys.  We've got your number.  Go ahead and stuff that one
> down your pants.  I'm sure there won't be any problems with finding the room
> down there, since you probably don't have much there to begin with.

	Actually, it's getting quite crowded down there, what with all the
other things I put down there at your request...

> From: rkp@drufl.UUCP (Pierce)
>
> Where were you when Indiana beat Purdue!  Was your keyboard out of
> order, news down, or something like that?  I have never seen someone
> jump all over one team or school so much in my life.  I guess your
> coach at Purdue never makes an a** of himself.  BULL!  If the coach
> can't be intense, how can he expect to get the same intensity out of
> his players.  I can't condone (sp?) Bobby Knight for everything he
> does, but he sure gets the most out of his teams, no matter the
> talent or lack of talent.

	I was right here, and absorbed my fair share of gloating, via news
and mail.   Gene Keady hasn't made an ass of himself since I've been following
the Boilers (all 4 years he's been here).

	If I tend to single out IU, it's because they are our intrastate
rival in the Big Ten...and because I feel that while Bobby Knight may be an
excellent tactician/strategist, he has no class whatsoever.  My idea of a
coach who manages to be intense without being a jerk is Jim Valvano(N.C. State).

	If I figure these standings and the remaining schedule correctly,
then Indiana has been eliminated from any chance at the Big Ten Championship.
--

"Oh dear...I believe you'll find that reality is on the blink again."
Darth Wombat