[net.sport.hoops] Celts's win but --- I'm not impressed

del@t4test.UUCP (Del Duncan) (06/12/84)

=== REFERENCED ARTICLE =============================================

From: ken@whuxk.UUCP (KVIDAHL)
Newsgroups: net.sport.hoops
Subject: Celts's win but --- I'm not impressed
Date: Thu, 7-Jun-84 07:25:30 PDT

Last night the Celtics beat the Lakers in overtime, but the
tactics they used were, at best, questionable. They are trying
to win basketball games the way the Flyers won hockey games.
Intimidation -- They seemed to surprise the Lakers by pushing,
shoving, grabbing and fighting. I expect this kind of play
from Ainge and Carr but when Bird and Maxwell (of all people)
started it, I was surprised. Somebody should do something about
Carr. (in case you missed the game he tried to start a fight,
from the bench, with Magic after Maxwell had all but thrown
Johnson onto the floor) Now don't start up with me about sour
grapes, true I am a Knicks and a Nets fan, but I feel I am
neutral since I dislike both the Celtics and Lakers evenly.

Ainge has taken the practice of grabbing players going in for
a layup and turned it into a license to attack anyone he wants.
Last night he did it for no reason to Worthy, there were two
Celts between him and the basket but Ainge still tried the
open field tackle. Bird seems to be upset because Cooper is
playing good, not great, defense on him. (I noticed Bird
getting a little chipie in the New York series when King
was outplaying him)

Possibly, last nights game was a result of the blowout on
Sunday, I hope so, but I don't think so. I hope that the
Lakers come back and win this series, otherwise we may see
teams begin to emulate the Celtics style (much like hockey and
the Flyers) and this would further hurt the NBA.

                                    Ken Kvidahl

Well, now that we've seen a couple of more games, I think there is
more than enough evidence that Boston isn't the only one who likes
to play hockey on the basketball court.  Although, I agree that
McHale should have at minimum been given a technical for the flag-
rant foul that he commited upon Rambis's *** ugly *** body ( as
you can see, I'm a diehard Celtic fan), Worthy's foul of Cedric
Maxwell in game six was equally as nasty, if not worse.  It would
be real easy for someone to break a neck on the basket's support
pole being pushed from behind as he was.

Anyway, nothing personal, really.  It is just a basketball game, and
no matter who wins it, it's been a great series.  Neither team is
going to be intimidated, and having played a lot of basketball, my-
self, I can appreciate this from both teams.  Game 7 will say all
that needs to be said.

has been