[net.music] Pre-commercial Laurie Anderson

bermes@ihu1m.UUCP (Terry Bermes) (01/10/85)

  A recent article referred to "pre-commercial" Laurie Anderson. Does
anyone out there know of any recordings prior to "Big Science"?
                               Terry Bermes

gtaylor@lasspvax.UUCP (Greg Taylor) (01/11/85)

In article <> bermes@ihu1m.UUCP (Terry Bermes) writes:

>  A recent article referred to "pre-commercial" Laurie Anderson. Does
>anyone out there know of any recordings prior to "Big Science"?
>                               Terry Bermes

For information that's been recycled into US I-IV (most of her available
recorded stuff *does* show up in US I-IV), try the John Giorno "Dial-a-Poem"
series stuff...."You're the guy I want to spend my money with" has bout 1
1/3 sides. There's an Arch Records Compilation called "New Music for Electronic
and Recorded Media (Orange cover) with one piece. Michel Fingerhut here at
Cornell mentions that the NPR series "The Territory of Art" has some of her
work available as a part of a program, available from the programs producers.

If you're *really* into the rare and impossible to find, her 1978 installation
at the Holly Solomon gallery includes a single "It's not the Bullet that
Kills You, It's the Hole (for Chris Burden)". *That* one is hard to come by,
methinks.

There's also a box set called "Word of Mouth", recorded on a desert island
during a conference of artist held back in the mid seventies. LA is on that
too, but I don't know for certain what it is. The price is steep, and she is
only one of many people it, so only the hardcore Art fan would find that at
all interesting, I think.

Greg

ted@usceast.UUCP (Ted Nolan) (01/19/85)

The local college station (WUSC) has been playing several cuts (I hesitate
to call them songs) from the new Laurie Anderson album. I think I can safely
say she is STILL pre-commercial!

				Ted Nolan  ..usceast!ted
Ted Nolan                   ...decvax!mcnc!ncsu!ncrcae!usceast!ted  (UUCP)
6536 Brookside Circle       ...akgua!usceast!ted
Columbia, SC 29206          allegra!akgua!usceast!ted@UCB-VAX.ARPA (ARPA, maybe)

      ("Deep space is my dwelling place, the stars my destination")

Paul Tanenbaum <pjt@BRL-VOC.ARPA> (01/21/85)

'You're the Guy I Want to Spend My Money With' has Anderson with Jno Giorno
AND Wm Burroughs.  Fun album.
     +++paul