[net.sport.hoops] NCAA RESULTS

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (03/11/85)

The earlier prediction is inoperable, I was unaware how soft the
softies would be.

EAST REGION

Round One:

Wichita State		94	Georgia			79 * (* is upset)
Illinois		86	Northeastern		70
DePaul			77	Syracuse		76 OT
Georgia Tech		80	Mercer			54
Southern Methodist	65	Old Dominion		62
Iona			83	Loyola, Ill		77 *
Temple			54	Virginia Tech		51 *
Georgetown		98	Lehigh			52

Round Two:

Illinois		102	Wichita State		70
DePaul			79	Georgia Tech		78 *
Southern Methodist	46	Iona			39
Georgetown		80	Temple			75

Round Three:

Illinois		102	DePaul			87
Southern Methodist	91	Georgetown		88 *

Final:

Illinois		80	Southern Methodist	71

SOUTHEASTERN REGION:

Round One:

Auburn			68	Purdue			63 *
Kansas			66	Ohio			57
Oregon State		71	Notre Dame		69
North Carolina		83	Middle Tennessee State	54
Maryland		63	Miami, Ohio		36
Louisiana State		56	Navy			48
Villanova		88	Dayton			82
Michigan		77	Fairleigh Dickinson	36

Round Two:

Kansas			63	Auburn			39
North Carolina		79	Oregon State		67
Maryland		53	Louisiana State		44
Michigan		50	Villanova		41

Round Three:

Kansas			60	North Carolina		59 *
Maryland		108	Michigan		96 *

Final:

Maryland		78	Kansas			63 *

MIDWESTERN REGION

Round One:

Texas Tech		88	Boston College		55
Duke			70	Pepperdine		64
Alabama Birmingham	83	Michigan State		69
Memphis State		97	Pennsylvania		48
Louisiana Tech		83	Pittsburgh		69
Ohio State		90	Iowa State		79
USC			77	Illinois State		74 OT
Oklahoma		96	North Carolina A&T	56

Round Two:

Texas Tech		68	Duke			61 *
Memphis State		98	Alabama Birmingham	69
Louisiana Tech		56	Ohio State		55
Oklahoma		95	USC			69

Round Three:

Memphis State		55	Texas Tech		52
Louisiana Tech		93	Oklahoma		78 *

Final:

Louisiana Tech		72	Memphis State		67 *

WESTERN REGION

Round One:

Tulsa			90	Texas El Paso		68
North Carolina State	88	Nevada Reno		71
Arizona			76	Alabama			74 OT
Marshall		57	Virginia Commonwealth	55 *
Kentucky		53	Washington		44 *
Nevada Las Vegas	84	San Diego State		81
Iowa			87	Arkansas		66
St. John's		63	Southern		43

Round Two:

Tulsa			52	North Carolina State	48 *
Arizona			66	Marshall		57
Nevada Las Vegas	75	Kentucky		55
St. John's		79	Iowa			61

Round Three:

Arizona			73	Tulsa			70 *
Nevada Las Vegas	79	St. John's		74

Final:

Nevada Las Vegas	74	Arizona			73

FINAL FOUR

Semifinal:

Illinois		59	Maryland		58
Louisiana Tech		60	Nevada Las Vegas	56

Consolation Game:

Nevada Las Vegas	58	Maryland		46

National Championship Game:

Louisiana Tech		83	Illinois		82

These do not necessarily represent my views, rather they are the results of
a simulation procedure I ran, based on strengths and trends.
--
James C Armstrong, Jnr.  { ihnp4 || allegra || mcnc || cbosgb } !abnji!jca

"Emotion is a weakness!"
"I don't think so"
"It brought you back for your friend and it will cost you your life!"

srt@ucla-cs.UUCP (03/15/85)

>These do not necessarily represent my views, rather they are the results of
>a simulation procedure I ran, based on strengths and trends.
>--
>James C Armstrong, Jnr.  { ihnp4 || allegra || mcnc || cbosgb } !abnji!jca

Okay, so let us in on the simulation.  How does it run, what does it base
its predictions on, etc.

					-- Scott Turner

cdh@ptsfc.UUCP (Chris Harvey) (03/16/85)

I understand how difficult it is to predict winners, and if you had said that
your predictions were based on personal preference, I would have smiled and
gone on. However, "strengths and weaknesses"??!!.

Maryland beating Michigan?????? I just watched maryland squeeze by Miami
of Ohio in overtime. There is no chance that maryland will get close to
Michigan, and you may personally remind me to eat these words if this was
to happen.

The only other pick that levelled me was UNLV beating St. John's, and then
going on to win the region. Tarkanian has never won more than one tournament
game a year since he coached at Long Beach St. UNLV simply does not have the
consistency (or the defense) to survive in the tournament.

But just so I don't appear as critic, I'll go out on a limb myself.

My top teams:  GEORGETOWN (surprise!!!!!)
               MICHIGAN
               ST. JOHN'S
               OKLAHOMA
               MEMPHIS STATE

Others:        SYRACUSE
               N.C STATE (purely on coaching)
               NORTH CAROLINA  (ditto)
               ILLINOIS
               SOUTHERN METHODIST

Fairly safe to say the national champion is listed above.

Opinions (raging or otherwise) encouraged.
--
Chris Harvey,Pac Bell,SF
"Joke 'em if they can't take a ....  " (dual!ptsfa!ptsfc!cdh)

ccc@bu-cs.UUCP (Cameron Carson) (03/27/85)

>From: cdh@ptsfc.UUCP (Chris Harvey)
>                           Tarkanian has never won more than one tournament
>game a year since he coached at Long Beach St. UNLV simply does not have the
>consistency (or the defense) to survive in the tournament.

This is from memory, so correct me if I'm wrong:
In the 1975 tournament, when Reggie Theus and Glen Gondriezak (sp?) were
seniors, UNLV won at least two tournament games: University of San
Francisco (30-0, ranked #1 at the time), and Idaho St. (upset winners over
UCLA).  However, I don't remember if Tark was the coach at the time.

--
Cameron C. Carson
Distributed Systems Group

UUCP: ...!harvard!bu-cs!ccc
ARPA:  ccc%bu-cs.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

bch@mcnc.UUCP (Byron Howes) (03/30/85)

In article <302@bu-cs.UUCP> ccc@bu-cs.UUCP (Cameron Carson) writes:
>>From: cdh@ptsfc.UUCP (Chris Harvey)
>>                           Tarkanian has never won more than one tournament
>>game a year since he coached at Long Beach St. UNLV simply does not have the
>>consistency (or the defense) to survive in the tournament.
>
>This is from memory, so correct me if I'm wrong:
>In the 1975 tournament, when Reggie Theus and Glen Gondriezak (sp?) were
>seniors, UNLV won at least two tournament games: University of San
>Francisco (30-0, ranked #1 at the time), and Idaho St. (upset winners over
>UCLA).  However, I don't remember if Tark was the coach at the time.

Close, but no cigar.  In 1977 UNLV was defeated in the national semifinals
by UNC.  Theus and Gonzo were on that team.  They would have had to have
won *three* games to have gotten that far.  UNC went on to be defeated by
Marquette (coached by Al Maguire in his final game) in the finals.

That was the last of the great UNLV teams (although there have been some
good ones since then.)  Like most Tark-coached teams, defense was the thing
that runs around de yard and the team survived by a combination of running
its opposition to death and blistering shooting.

The big problem with UNLV is a lack of class competition during the regular
season.  It's hard for us Easterners to regard the PCAA as a serious
conference.

--

						Byron C. Howes
				      ...!{decvax,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!bch

lor@ucla-cs.UUCP (04/01/85)

>This is from memory, so correct me if I'm wrong:
>In the 1975 tournament, when Reggie Theus and Glen Gondriezak (sp?) were
>seniors, UNLV won at least two tournament games: University of San
>Francisco (30-0, ranked #1 at the time), and Idaho St. (upset winners over
>UCLA).  However, I don't remember if Tark was the coach at the time.

UCLA won the NCAA tournament in 1975. How could they be upset?
I remember almost all the teams that eliminated us since the dynasty:

1974 NC State (final four)
1976 Indiana (final four)
1977 ?
1978 Arkansas
1979 DePaul
1980 Louisville (final)
1981 Brigham Young
1982 did not play
1983 Utah
1984 did not play
1985 did not play

	So if Idaho St upset us, it must be in 1977.

--

					Eddy Lor
					...!ucbvax!ucla-cs!lor