[net.sport.hoops] Boston Celtics

haggerty@akov01.DEC (Doubleplus good) (05/03/85)

Well, it seems that the Detroit Pistons are going to avoid a sweep
after all.  On Thursday (5/2/85) night, they took advantage of 20
Celtic turnovers plus Tyler's 16 point 4th quarter to defeat the
Boston green in Joe Louis Arena.

Don't look for similar results on Sunday afternoon, or so says
Robert Parish, the Celts center.  I gotta agree.

Celts take this series 4-1 and meet Philly, who are on quite
a roll.  Speaking of rolls, how about the LA Lakers.
Victorious, but untested in my book.

We'll see.

Go Boston.

- kevin

UUCP:	{allegra, decvax, ihnp4, ucbvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov01!haggerty
ARPA:	haggerty%akov01.DEC@decwrl.ARPA

jmd@rduxb.UUCP (Joseph M. Dakes, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, Pa.) (05/06/85)

> Well, it seems that the Detroit Pistons are going to avoid a sweep
> after all.  On Thursday (5/2/85) night, they took advantage of 20
> Celtic turnovers plus Tyler's 16 point 4th quarter to defeat the
> Boston green in Joe Louis Arena.
>
> Don't look for similar results on Sunday afternoon, or so says
> Robert Parish, the Celts center.  I gotta agree.
>
> Celts take this series 4-1 and meet Philly, who are on quite
> a roll.  Speaking of rolls, how about the LA Lakers.
> Victorious, but untested in my book.
>
> - kevin

The Boston-Detroit series is now tied at 2.  Detroit played an excellent
game Sunday taking it right to the Celtics who looked a little exhausted
in the 4th quarter (but thats no excuse!).  Not even the luck of the
Birdman was able to help the Celtics pull it out.  He had a free 18ft.
jumper with about 10 sec. left and missed it.  Oh well, can't make them
all the time.

Seems like the Celtics just don't have it lately.  They had a tough time
with the Cavs and are being pushed to the limit by the Pistons and with
the Sixers rested and hungry waiting down the road it could be a long
summer for the boys in green.

Celtics will take Detroit in 7 but get blown out by the Sixers 4-1.  So
let it be written; so let it be done.

						Joseph M. Dakes
						AT&T Bell Laboratories
						Reading, PA
						rduxb!jmd

P.S.  I can't wait to see Andrew Toney burn Danny "Cry Baby" Ainge for about
      30 points a game.

douglas@noscvax.UUCP (Douglas S. Dickerson) (05/06/85)

The Pistons evened their playoff series with the Celtics on Sunday
(5/5/85) by virtue of an incredible fourth quarter performance by
third guard Vinnie Johnson, scoring 22 of Detroit's last 26 points,
while Boston could manage only 12 points (three field goals) in the
last 12 minutes.  Four Piston non-starters scored a total of 58
(of 102) points playing 80 minutes, while four Celtic non-starters
scored 13 (of 99) points playing a total of 32 minutes.  Could the
thin bench of Boston be catching up with them?

Go Motown!
--
Doug Dickerson  UUCP !sdcsvax!noscvax!douglas  MILNET douglas@nosc

haggerty@akov01.DEC (Doubleplus good) (05/07/85)

Well, it's hard to believe that the Detroit Pistons have won
two in a row from the Celtics.  The Celtics had them buried,
but let them up again.

Now I'm a bit nervous.  It may go seven, much to everyone's
chagrin in and around Boston.

Even if it doesn't go 7, Boston's next opponent is the
very-well-rested Philadelphia 76ers.  Gonna be tough.

Meanwhile, the LA Lakers proved they are human by losing to
Portland the other night.  Just a fluke though; it's gonna
be a 4-1 series.

cv@linus.UUCP (Chris J. Valas) (05/08/85)

In article <2062@decwrl.UUCP> haggerty@akov01.DEC (Doubleplus good) writes:

>Well, it's hard to believe that the Detroit Pistons have won
>two in a row from the Celtics.  The Celtics had them buried,
>but let them up again.

The Celts are gonna romp.

srt@ucla-cs.UUCP (05/09/85)

In article <2062@decwrl.UUCP> haggerty@akov01.DEC (Doubleplus good) writes:

>Well, it's hard to believe that the Detroit Pistons have won
>two in a row from the Celtics.  The Celtics had them buried,
>but let them up again.
>
>Now I'm a bit nervous.  It may go seven, much to everyone's
>chagrin in and around Boston.

What?  You think Detroit will lose another game?  I expect them to take
it in six.

>Even if it doesn't go 7, Boston's next opponent is the
>very-well-rested Philadelphia 76ers.  Gonna be tough.

Huh?  Boston and Philly are playing in a summer league?  Or does Boston
open next season against the Phillies.

Let's face it, the Celtics are a bunch of cry-baby weenies, and if Detroit
doesn't destroy them, Philly will.

    Scott R. Turner
    ARPA:  srt@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU
    UUCP:  ...!{cepu,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!srt
    SPUDNET: ...eye%srt@russet.spud