[net.sport.hoops] NBA Playoffs

kovalsky@trwspp.UUCP (05/14/84)

{slam dunk}
OK, you want fans of the NBA to speak? Here goes...

I'm putting my money on the L.A. LAKERS to win it all. They have
demolished each team they have played to this point and I expect them
to finish off Phoenix fairly soon (up 1-0 at this writing). Their 8-1
record in the playoffs is 3 losses less than any other team still in and
I expect them to make a run at Phillys' record (12-1) last year.

Boston should take Milwaukee and then we'll see the series everyone is
waiting for: LAKERS vs. CELTICS. L.A. beat them twice in the 2 games they
played this year but it should be a tough series. But if the Lakers get their
fast break going, it'll be no contest. Remember, the Lakers won in '80 and
'82, and this is an even year, so...you know what the result will be.

	Bruce Kovalsky (the OTHER Magic Man)
	<!sdcrdcf!trwrb!trwspp!kovalsky>

kovalsky@trwspp.UUCP (05/22/84)

{slam dunk}
The Bucks win over the Celtics last night, putting their series at 3-1
(same as Lakers-Suns) means that neither team should have a rest advantage.
Remember last year the Lakers had to travel on their one day off to Philly
and played like a tired team all series (had an edge at halftime each game
but lost).

I fully expect the Lakers and the Celtics to each wrap up their series in 5
games with home victories this week, and on Sunday the finals will begin. I
agree that both teams are capable of great things and the team that gets in a
groove will probably prevail.

My Prediction: LAKERS in 6 games.

djvh@drutx.UUCP (VanHandelDJ) (04/11/85)

>> Why doesn't the NB of A just skip the long playoff schedule
>> and play the final between Boston and Denver.
>>

> Because the final just might be between Milwaukee and Denver.

							or LA.
				(yes, I saw the game last night)

        			 ___
       				/. .\
      		               q  "  p     Dave Van Handel
       				\ - /      drutx!djvh

kovalsky@spp2.UUCP (Bruce Kovalsky) (05/07/85)

Time to add my ramblings on the subject.

Philly did look good in dismantling Milwaukee - they definately are a
different team tham the one that lost 8 of its last 14 regular season
games. Remember, this is basically the same team that won it all year
before last, plus they have Barkley. Watch out for the 76ers.

Boston did not impress me Sunday at Detroit. They had a 11 point lead
halfway thru the 3rd quarter, seemingly cruising, and then the determined
Pistons fought their way back to win it and knot the series at 2-2. Now
it's 2 out of 3 and anyone's bet. Vinnie Johnson of the Pistons put
on a phenomenal show in the 4th quarter of that game, scoring 22 points (!!)
and hitting almost everything he put up. Truly the finest moment of his
career as he pulled out the game for them. Mr. Bird put up quite a few
bricks at the end of the game, showing the world that he is human after
all. He CAN be stopped.

Lakers are breezing thru the West as expected - their loss at Portland
Sunday is probably good for them. If they had not lost at all it would have
kept more pressure on them when they reached the finals. After they
win the Portland series in 5, they should have no problem with Denver or
Utah.

My prediction: Lakers over Philly in 6.

-----
	Bruce "Magic Man" Kovalsky

	** MESS THIS LINE WITH YOUR REPLACEAGE **

gowie@hplvla.UUCP (gowie) (05/08/85)

>You must mean Dunn and Turner. Hanzlik(an overrated defensive player
>in my opinion) has played nothing but forward.

>Go Nugs. Please don't make me eat crow. I've had too much blind faith.

>roy

/* ---------- */

	Roy,

	If I remember right Moe was considering starting Hanzlik at
point in game 2 ( ahhhhhh the sweet game 2 ) against the Lakers.  Luckily
he went with Turner which I considered the obvious choice.  Turner has
came through for the Nuggets all year.  Also I've never heard Hanzlik
as being rated as a great defensive player ( just once I'd like to see a call
go his way ) ,  most people just complain about
him.  I will qualify him as grest in hustle, but then again anyone could
play as hard as he does if there was as much stoppage of play as there is
when he is in there (-: .

	And speaking of great, has anyone ever seen Alex shut down
offensively.  I've watched him dozens of times and is still amazed
at the acuracy and softness of his shot.

			And as Ernie said back in 69
			The Nuggets will shine in 85

			gowie

roy@hpmtla.UUCP (roy) (05/08/85)

Come on gowie,

I like Hanzlik too, but face it, if he wasn't a hack
he wouldn't be in th NB of A.

roy

charlie@opus.UUCP (Charles Carrington) (05/08/85)

In article <575@spp2.UUCP> kovalsky@spp2.UUCP (Bruce Kovalsky) writes:

>Lakers are breezing thru the West as expected - ...
>
>... After they win the Portland series in 5, they should have no problem
>with Denver...

Do not underestimate the Nuggets in the Western Conference finals against
the Lakers.  I'm not predicting a Denver win, mind you, but I guarantee
that the Lakers will have plenty of problems getting to the championship
round.

This is a very tough Denver team that has proved it can play against the best
in the league.  (Two wins in the Forum during the regular season, and a split
in the season series against both Boston and Philadelphia)

The Nuggets aren't as talented as the Lakers, but they are tougher and more
together and have refused to lose the big games.  I'm looking forward to an
excellent series that will go a minimum of 6 games.  Also looking forward to
watching Dunn and Hanzlik handcuff the Magic Crybaby.

Go Nuggets!
Charlie

wbs@cybvax0.UUCP (William B. Solomon) (05/09/85)

Q: What's the only thing more arrogant than a Boston Celtic ??

A: A Boston Celtic Fan!

Playoff Observations :

	Cleveland played with playoff intensity, Boston did not.
	Only a couple of bad calls and bad bounces prevented the
	Celtics from possible early elimination.

	My Vote for Coach of the Year:
			George Karl.

	Why?
	Milwaukee played at their peak for most of the year. They
	have a great team, but come the playoffs they couldn't turn
	it up that extra notch that is necessary to win in the playoffs.
	For this reason , Don Nelson failed.

	Philly and Detroit did the opposite. Cunningham concede the
	division title to Boston and rested his key players down the
	stretch. Erving is playing incredible ,along with Malone, Barkley,
	Toney, Cheeks, and Richardson. They are peaking NOW!  They look
	like the only team that can possibly stop the Lakers.

	Detroit is getting close to their potential. they've really
	cut down their turnovers. Their problem is that I don't be-
	lieve a team that relies on perimeter shooting can go much
	farther.

	Isiah Thomas led the league in assists with Earvin Johnson
	second, but I'd take Johnson because his assists lead to lay-
	ups and dunks. Thomas' assists lead to 20 foot jumpers.

	Detroit-Boston series:
	Bostons style off the court has been atrocious.  They think
	that the series is to be won by giving intimidating quotes
	to the media.  A Detroit victory might teach them something
	about humility.  The current state of this series (2-2) is no
	surprise (except to arrogant celtic fans).
	Around here after game 1 the press was playing up the perf-
	ormance of Cedric Maxwell.  What they failed to realize is
	that the opposition had practically not shown up.  Anyone can
	score 16 points when nobodys playing defense.  Since that game
	Maxwell has looked bad and is almost a non-factor.

	As for the Lakers, they will be in the finals.  Just wait until
	they turn their game up a notch or two!!

			William Solomon
			Brighton, Ma.

djvh@drutx.UUCP (VanHandelDJ) (05/16/85)

Did you believe the way LA played against the Nuggets Tuesday night?
Ewing going to New York isn't the only thing fixed in the NBA .
Jabbar looked like he was missing 2 footers on purpose . . .
^	^	^	^	^	^	^	^	^
:-)	:-)	:-)	:-)	:-)	:-)	:-)	:-)	:-)

I heard that LA was looking past Denver and that they will not let an
embarrassment like Tuesday night happen again.  If they keep one eye on
the Nuggets and look ahead with the other they should still be in good
shape.
	I still look for LA to win this one in 6 or less, and then take
the Celtics (hopefully 76ers) in 7 games.
	Flame all you want; I'm a Bucks fan so I probably deserve it.

						Dave Van Handel

wed@drutx.UUCP (DeibertWE) (05/17/85)

In <2792@drutx.UUCP>
@ Thu, 16-May-85 11:08:58 MDT

Van Handel says:

> Did you believe the way LA played against the Nuggets Tuesday night?
> Ewing going to New York isn't the only thing fixed in the NBA .
> Jabbar looked like he was missing 2 footers on purpose . . .
> ^	^	^	^	^	^	^	^	^
> :-)	:-)	:-)	:-)	:-)	:-)	:-)	:-)	:-)

> I heard that LA was looking past Denver and that they will not let an
> embarrassment like Tuesday night happen again.  If they keep one eye on
> the Nuggets and look ahead with the other they should still be in good
> shape.
>	I still look for LA to win this one in 6 or less, and then take
> the Celtics (hopefully 76ers) in 7 games.
> 	Flame all you want; I'm a Bucks fan so I probably deserve it.

>						Dave Van Handel

Stapleton has regularly scheduled flights back to Wisconsin, PAL!!!!
Please stop whining about the Bucks!

Am I supposed to be using one of these, :-)    ?

William D.