[net.sport.hoops] Scott Ostler on Boston

srt@ucla-cs.UUCP (05/15/85)

From the Los Angeles Times, Tuesday, May 14, 1985, excerpts from Scott
Ostler's column:

Dear Boston Celtics:

Speaking on behalf of all the clear-thinking fans of the City of Angels,
I would like to cordially invite you to play the Lakers in the NBA
championship series...

Frankly, folks out here in Los Angeles don't much like you guys.  We
don't like your style of play, your attitude, your former general manager,
your Celtic tradition, your ugly green shoes, your fans, that grimy
garage you call an arena, or the gouged-up termite condo you call a
playing floor.

No offense...

How can the Lakers ever wipe out the stigma of crumbling after Kevin
McHale's tackle of Kurt Rambis - the cheap shot heard round the world -
if they play the 76ers? ...

We'll leave the porch light on and the front door open.

					Sincerely,

					Scott (Ostler)

We're waiting for the Boston Weenies, all right.

    Scott R. Turner
    ARPA:  (now) srt@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA  (soon) srt@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU
    UUCP:  ...!{cepu,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!srt
    SPUDNET: ...eye%srt@russet.spud

cv@linus.UUCP (Chris J. Valas) (05/17/85)

In article <5425@ucla-cs.ARPA> srt@ucla-cs.UUCP writes:
>From the Los Angeles Times, Tuesday, May 14, 1985, excerpts from Scott
>Ostler's column:
>

>How can the Lakers ever wipe out the stigma of crumbling after Kevin
>McHale's tackle of Kurt Rambis - the cheap shot heard round the world -
>if they play the 76ers? ...
>

>					Sincerely,
>
>					Scott (Ostler)
>

>    Scott R. Turner

Welcome to the NBA, 'Scotts'.   What I want to know is how the Lakers
will ever wipe out the stigma of Magic Johnson CHOKING (big-time) on
national television in the same game?  Yes, McHale plays a very physical
brand of basketball, but Rambis doesn't play patty-cakes out there either.

Why don't you guys move out to, say, Baltimore, and join a real conference?

Chris J. Valas         {decvax,utzoo,philabs,security,allegra,genrad}!linus!cv
-=-
"Sweep, sweep, sweep ...."
"Shut up you guys, it's only the third game."
("Allow us our fantasies....")

srt@ucla-cs.UUCP (05/23/85)

In article <382@linus.UUCP> cv@linus.UUCP (Chris J. Valas) writes:

>Welcome to the NBA, 'Scotts'.   What I want to know is how the Lakers
>will ever wipe out the stigma of Magic Johnson CHOKING (big-time) on
>national television in the same game?

I'm glad you admit that the Celtics only won because Magic choked.  I don't
know that there is a stigma attached to last year's series (after all, it
was a great series) but Magic is definitely more grim and determined this
year.  I don't think we'll see him choke again.  He got a lesson last year:
some guys (guess who) care more about winning than they do about basketball.
I don't think he's forgotten.

>Why don't you guys move out to, say, Baltimore, and join a real conference?

There isn't anything real east of Chicago, much less in Baltimore.