[net.sport.hoops] Billy Cunningham

ccc@bu-cs.UUCP (Cameron Carson) (05/30/85)

>From: msy@siemens.UUCP
>Subject: SIXERS (Billy C.)
>Last night, I heard on the news that Billy Cunningham will be resigning
>as the couch of the Philadelphia 76ers.
>Billy C. was a very good couch, although he was not an EXCELLECNT one.
>All during the time when Billy was couching, the sixers had very good
>chance at the NBA title...
>Plus, Sixers only won NBA championship only once (with a somewhat better
>couching, they could've had at 3 or more in the last 7-10 years).

BM: Hi, I'm Brent Musburger, live from the locker room of the Philadelphia
    76ers, to bring you player reaction to Billy Cunningham's
    resignation as couch.  Here with me now is Julius Erving.  Tell
    me J, what is the overall mood of the team after hearing
    the news?

DR J: Well Brent, we were all a bit shocked at first, but we
      realize now that we should have seen it coming.  Billy's
      nap has been rather worn-looking since the start of the
      season, and after the first three losses of the Celtics
      series, he became downright shiny.

BM: You've been with him as long as anybody: how do you respond
    to those who claim that though Billy was a good couch, he
    was not an excellent one?

DR J: Those comments come from people who don't really know our
      team.  It's true that we are the smallest team in the
      league, so at 6'7" Billy was a great couch for us.  Almost
      no one hung over the end and he was a real player's
      couch--always available.  Nobody walked on him, but then,
      most of us learned to respect our couches from our
      mothers back home in our living rooms.

BM: Moses, could you step in here a minute a tell our viewers
    how Billy's resignation will effect the team?

MM: I think that the younger players will be effected most of
    all.  The experienced veteran relies less on the couch's
    support.  Over the years he acquires his own loveseat or
    maybe a recliner-rocker.  But a rookie coming to the NBA
    with little more than a stool or a lawn chair will really
    feel the loss.

BM: With us now is the general manager of the 'Sixers.  GM,
    your couch has just resigned, your team has suffered a
    surprisingly quick elimination from the playoffs, and
    morale is bound to be low.  Where do you go from here?

GM: Well, Brent, it will be very difficult to replace Billy
    Cunningham.  He was a contemporary couch, flexible,
    unassuming, and nothing like his colonial predecessors who
    always had their backs up about something.  We are
    considering two options:  we'll first look among the ranks
    of the assistant couches--your padded armchairs, your
    ottomans, your hassocks, your hide-a-beds--but we may
    decide that the game is due for a drastic innovation and
    bring in a radically different piece of furniture, say, a
    chaise lounge or even a hammock, to take over Billy's
    couching duties.

BM: Thank you very much, GM, Moses, J, for speaking with us.
    Now let's go back to Pat O'brien in our New York studios
    for more "At The Half."

--
Cameron C. Carson
Distributed Systems Group