[net.sport.hoops] Game 2, and looking ahead to game 3

gersh@dartvax.UUCP (Jeff Gershengorn) (06/01/85)

**REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR BASKETBALL**

Well, game three has come and gone, and we all now know that Kareem is not
too old (wait til next year), and that a home court advantage is not going to
make all the difference between two teams as talented as these. However, playing
the next three games in the Forum should be interesting to watch, because if,
for example, L.A. takes two out of three (and don't try and tell me they'll win
all three games), they'll have the Celts in a 3-2 hole heading back to the
Garden. (and have we talked about the fact that the team with the better record
during the regular season has the "home court advantage" in the series, for
whatever that's worth?--I think it's not worth much)

I think I'll go with the Celts in 7, though. Their bench is a bit stronger than
the Lakers, I think, and they proved in game 1 that they know how to beat the
purple and yellow men from Inglewood. We shall see.

(I can't wait to go home and watch the rest of the series on a wide screen)

                                -Jeff
                (a Golden State Warriors turned Celtics fan)

  "Eternal nothingness is okay if you're dressed for it."
                                                   -Woody Allen

Jeff Gershengorn '88        ihnp4!dartvax!gersh
Hinman Box 1772     Dartmouth College       Hanover, New Hampshire 03755
Real World:   5 Fairway Drive    San Rafael, CA 94901

jmd@rduxb.UUCP (Joseph M. Dakes, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, Pa.) (06/04/85)

> I think I'll go with the Celts in 7, though. Their bench is a bit stronger than
> the Lakers, I think, and they proved in game 1 that they know how to beat the
> purple and yellow men from Inglewood. We shall see.
>
>                                 -Jeff
>                 (a Golden State Warriors turned Celtics fan)

The Celtics bench?  Stronger than the Lakers?  That's as funny as the Celtics
in 7.  The Celtics do have good back court depth with Ray Williams but who do
they have to backup McHale, Parrish or Bird?  Greg Kike(sp?)?  When he's out on
the court he looks like a little kid lost in a candy store.  Sorry, but the
Celtics bench will be they're downfall in this series.  Parrish, McHale and
Bird will not be able to repeat their Game 1 performances (required for a Celt
victory) 3 out of the next 4 games.

Remember the Celtic-Piston series and how exhausted the Green's big men were
from having all that court time?  Why?  No bench.

						Joseph M. Dakes
						AT&T Bell Laboratories
						Reading, PA
						rduxb!jmd

srt@ucla-cs.UUCP (06/04/85)

In article <3203@dartvax.UUCP> gersh@dartvax.UUCP (Jeff Gershengorn) writes:

>I think I'll go with the Celts in 7, though. Their bench is a bit stronger than
>the Lakers, I think, ...

Huh?  'Doo, Cooper, Spriggs, Kupchak, McGee  vs. ...Kite?

    Scott R. Turner
    ARPA:  (now) srt@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA  (soon) srt@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU
    UUCP:  ...!{cepu,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!srt
    SPUDNET: ...eye%srt@russet.spud