[net.sport.hoops] Remember Couch Cunningham??

ccc@bu-cs.UUCP (Cameron Carson) (07/19/85)

>From: msy@siemens.UUCP
>Subject: SIXERS (Billy C.)
>Last night, I heard on the news that Billy Cunningham will be resigning
>as the couch of the Philadelphia 76ers.
>Billy C. was a very good couch, although he was not an EXCELLECNT one.
>All during the time when Billy was couching, the sixers had very good
>chance at the NBA title...
>Plus, Sixers only won NBA championship only once (with a somewhat better
>couching, they could've had at 3 or more in the last 7-10 years).
>
>>From: ccc@bu-cs.UUCP
>>BM: Hi, I'm Brent Musburger, live from the locker room of the Philadelphia
>>    76ers, to bring you player reaction to Billy Cunningham's
>>    resignation as couch.  Here with me now is Julius Erving.  Tell
>>    me J, what is the overall mood of the team after hearing
>>    the news...

Maybe the Sixers should've tried to get Rollie Massimino away from
Villanova--it sounds like he'd be just the man for the job:
(Sports Illustrated, July 1, 1985. Page 20)

	"Massimino is the rumpled couch of a coach who led Villanova
	to its stirring 1985 NCAA championship."

--
Cameron C. Carson
Distributed Systems Group

UUCP: ...!harvard!bu-cs!ccc