[net.sport.hoops] Where is Carl Tacy?

borodkin@uiucdcsb.Uiuc.ARPA (07/24/85)

     I heard that the Wake Forest coaching job was open.  Does anyone
know what happened to Carl Tacy?

                                Stephen L. Borodkin

        USENET:	...!{pur-ee,ihnp4}!uiucdcs!borodkin
        CSNET:	borodkin%uiuc@csnet-relay.arpa
        ARPA:	borodkin@uiuc.arpa

bch@mcnc.UUCP (Byron Howes) (07/29/85)

In article <22500006@uiucdcsb> borodkin@uiucdcsb.Uiuc.ARPA writes:

>     I heard that the Wake Forest coaching job was open.  Does anyone
>know what happened to Carl Tacy?

Tacy resigned abruptly and unexpectedly a couple of weeks ago to go into
private business or, more precisely, "to pursue other interests."  There
was no hint of scandal or dissatisfaction or any disagreement between he
and his administration.  Very odd.  Rumors in this area are as follows:

(1) Tacy has had some bad years recently and with his star performer
	(Kenny Greene) having gone pro was going to have a worse year
	this year.  Time to get out before they throw you out.
(2) Tacy has a mild heart condition and has been urged to quit before the
	worst happened.  (Coaching in the ACC is definitely not an occupation
	for those with misfiring hearts.)
(3) Tacy loves Winston-Salem and had a chance at a job which would
	allow him to retire there with better money than the 100K+ he
	was earning at Wake Forest.  Wake is a private school and times
	aren't good for private schools.

My own preference is for (3.)  Tacy has always been a cool customer and
I could very well see he might go for something more secure and less
demanding than basketball coaching.  It's hard to show the world what
you can do when you are perennially coaching against the likes of Dean
Smith, Jim Valvano, Lefty Dreisell, etc.  If you aren't going to be great,
be happy.
--

						Byron C. Howes
				      ...!{decvax,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!bch

wcfs@uvacs.UUCP (Will Summers) (08/03/85)

In article <659@mcnc.mcnc.UUCP> bch@mcnc.UUCP (Byron Howes) writes:
>In article <22500006@uiucdcsb> borodkin@uiucdcsb.Uiuc.ARPA writes:
>
>>     I heard that the Wake Forest coaching job was open.  Does anyone
>>know what happened to Carl Tacy?
>
>Tacy resigned abruptly and unexpectedly a couple of weeks ago to go into
>private business or, more precisely, "to pursue other interests."  There
>was no hint of scandal or dissatisfaction or any disagreement between he
>and his administration.  Very odd.  Rumors in this area are as follows:
>
>(1) Tacy has had some bad years recently and with his star performer
>	(Kenny Greene) having gone pro was going to have a worse year
>	this year.  Time to get out before they throw you out.
>(2) Tacy has a mild heart condition and has been urged to quit before the
>	worst happened.  (Coaching in the ACC is definitely not an occupation
>	for those with misfiring hearts.)
>(3) Tacy loves Winston-Salem and had a chance at a job which would
>	allow him to retire there with better money than the 100K+ he
>	was earning at Wake Forest.  Wake is a private school and times
>	aren't good for private schools.
>
>My own preference is for (3.)  Tacy has always been a cool customer and
>I could very well see he might go for something more secure and less
>demanding than basketball coaching.  It's hard to show the world what
>you can do when you are perennially coaching against the likes of Dean
>Smith, Jim Valvano, Lefty Dreisell, etc.  If you aren't going to be great,
>be happy.
>--
>
>						Byron C. Howes
>				      ...!{decvax,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!bch

Well Byron, I too would have opted for number 3 until I read that Tacy
is interested in the positions at ODU and Arizona (State ?).  It now
appears that number 1 may be the better choice.

Oh, by the way, I can see Deano and Valvano, but Lefty a Coach?
And this from Tobacco Road. :-)

						Will Summers

bch@mcnc.UUCP (Byron Howes) (08/04/85)

In article <2279@uvacs.UUCP> wcfs@uvacs.UUCP (Will Summers) writes:

>Well Byron, I too would have opted for number 3 until I read that Tacy
>is interested in the positions at ODU and Arizona (State ?).  It now
>appears that number 1 may be the better choice.

I agree.  Looks like you can't trust anyone any more.  I guess the adage
should have been "if you can't be great, go to a second-rate conference."
I predict Carl will disappear into the ranks of the unknown coaches.

>Oh, by the way, I can see Deano and Valvano, but Lefty a Coach?
>And this from Tobacco Road. :-)

Check the stats.  Lefty has the second winningest percentage in the ACC.
No, he doesn't win the big ones often, but he produces consistantly good
teams.  Sure, he's a good recruiter, but as you guys at Virginia should
know better than anyone else -- having the franchise players is not a
guarantee of greatness.  You got to be able to build a team as well.

Watch carefully.  Lefty's boys, despite their reputations as hotdogs, do
lots of little things like blocking out and setting screens very well.
Those things don't come naturally, they have to be coached in.