[net.sport.hoops] Celtix notes

dcoleman@2littl.DEC (10/10/85)

	"Sittin' plush with a royal flush, Aces back to back"

>><From: Roger Pannell
>>                                                      ...In fact in recent
>> years the Celts have traded away white players for black players Cowens for
>> Buckner, and Robey for DJ.
	With freckles on his face and a name like Dennis Johnson, you might as
well count DJ as one of the white guys.

>From: Mark C. Mudgett
>
>Q: Which NBA team was the first to draft a Black basketball player?
>Q: Which NBA team was the first to have a Black coach?
>
>Hint:  They wear green sneakers.

	Not this year.  They're all wearing these black sneakers that look
like they were dipped in driveway sealer.

>        My 10/7 prediction of who the 85-86 Celtics will be:
>
>        Bird		Wedman		Kite
>        McHale		S. Williams	Clark (or maybe Carlisle?)
>        Parish		Walton
>        Johnson	Vincent
>        Ainge          Sichting

	I've only seen 2 games so far - against LA, I didn't see Clark or
Carlisle play at all, but David Thirdkill looked real good for the last man on
the bench.  All 3 played against Washington.  Clark was very sloppy - he made
1 good play but 4 turnovers, and in one play he stood and watched a Washington
player grab a loose ball that could have been Clark's; he didn't play like
someone fighting for that last roster spot.  I don't remember Carlisle having
much effect on the game either way.  Thirdkill again looked good, he seemed to
be more into the flow of the game than either of the other two.  As the Cooz
said, "Turdkiwl reewry wrooked imprressive out thearw tonight"
	Judging from what I saw in the last 2 games, I figure it's between
Thirdkill and Carlisle - Thirdkill appeared to have more of a positive
influence on the team, but Carlisle is well-liked by the boys in the front
office.
	Other things I noticed in last night's game:
	- Bill Walton really enjoys playing with the Celts.  I hope to see him
again at the Centrum in a few weeks, probably with a bigger smile on his face.
	- Sam Vincent is a very good ballhandler, the first real point guard
on the Celtics since Tiny Archibald.
	- Danny Ainge has lots of screaming groupies rooting for him; the last
two games I've gone two I've been lucky enough to sit in front of some teenage
girl who sighs dreamily every time Danny does anything of note (such as
standing up from the bench).
	 - Manute Bol doesn't get pushed around as much as I thought he would;
For a 7'6 3/4" 208 pounder, he holds his position fairly well under the
boards.  Last night in about 20 minutes of playing time he had 9 blocks and 9
rebounds, 2 calls for illegal defense (most of the time he plays zone in the
middle), and lots of intimidation.  At one point Greg Kite got the ball 5 feet
from the hoop, but Manute was behind him; so Kite passed the ball out to the
ref, who was nowhere near any of the other Celtics (later, Kite said ~I
figured he could stick the jumper~).  Manute's biggest problem seems to be a
lack of court sense, being that he's only been playing the game for 3 years.
	- Johnny Most looked like he died two weeks ago.

>(Someday, I'd like to hear how Jerry Sichting pronounces his last name.
>I've heard three different versions so far from the sportscasters ...)
	I've read that it's supposed to be pronounced SEE-STING, but it might
have been in Bob Ryan's column.

				Dave Coleman