[net.sport.hoops] Green, Black, and White

mm@vaxine.UUCP (Mark Mudgett) (10/08/85)

>From: gersh@dartvax.UUCP (Jeff A. Gershengorn)
>
>    The Celtics acquired Jerry Sichting yesterday (10/2) from the Indiana
>Pacers.  That gives them yet another white ballplayer.  I've always
>wondered about the disproportionate number of white Celtics.  Does anybody
>else have any thoughts concerning the *possible* racist policies of the
>Celtic front office? Or is this a completely unfounded claim?

Q: Which NBA team was the first to draft a Black basketball player?
Q: Which NBA team was the first to have a Black coach?

Hint:  They wear green sneakers.

If the Celtics' choice of players, coaches, etc. were based on racist
policies, they probably wouldn't have so many NBA Championship flags
flying over the court at the Garden.  NBA history shows that Red Auerbach
helped to break down the racist policies that once pervaded the league.

        My 10/7 prediction of who the 85-86 Celtics will be:

        Bird		Wedman		Kite
        McHale		S. Williams	Clark (or maybe Carlisle?)
        Parish		Walton
        Johnson		Vincent
        Ainge           Sichting

(Someday, I'd like to hear how Jerry Sichting pronounces his last name.
I've heard three different versions so far from the sportscasters ...)
         _TT    /|    |~           Mark C. Mudgett
    >====+++===< |   O|   |~       uucp:  ...!decvax!encore!vaxine!mm
       {_|||_}  \|       O|        617-667-7900x2394
    All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental;
    and should not be construed.

milos@inmet.UUCP (10/11/85)

>Hint:  They wear green sneakers.

Guess again!