[net.sport.hoops] The Laker Dynasty

pannell@dosadi.DEC (Roger D. Pannell 229-6893) (10/07/85)

>> Hasn't LA been to the finals at least four times in a row? If memory
>> serves:

>> 1980	Philadelphia	LA Lakers
>> 1981	Boston		Houston
>> 1982	Philadelphia	LA Lakers
>> 1983	Philadelphia	LA Lakers
>> 1984	Boston		LA Lakers
>> 1985	Boston		LA Lakers

>It is dominance such as this which lends creedence to the notion that
>if there is a dynasty in basketball today, it resides in LA.  Don't
>let all the Boston press fool you, they are not the team to beat.
>Kareem, Magic & Co. are the defenders of the crown, not the
>pretenders to it.

That only proves that thus far in the decade of the 80's, there have only been
three teams capable of competing for the championship.  It only appears that
LA was dominant, when in reality they have little competition out west.  The
fact of the matter is, Boston IS the team to beat to be champion (that's why
the Lakers are defending champs).  LA certainly can't be considered a champion
by defeating the likes of Denver or Houston.

>		Daniel Schneider
>		{decvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-monty!dec-2littl!schneider

>P.S. Lucky for me I managed to tape games 5 and 6 of last years
>     championship.  Its just a pleasure to watch the Lakers beat
>     the Celtics in every phase of the game.  Again and again.

I almost wish I had taped those two games, because they are certain to become
a collectors item, since it was a once in a lifetime experience.

					-- Roger Pannell

ARPA:    pannell%dosadi.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA, pannell%dosadi.DEC@Purdue-Merlin.ARPA
UUCP:    {allegra, decvax, ucbvax}!decwrl!rhea!dosadi!pannell

srt@ucla-cs.UUCP (10/11/85)

In article <734@decwrl.UUCP> pannell@dosadi.DEC (Roger D. Pannell   229-6893) writes:

>>P.S. Lucky for me I managed to tape games 5 and 6 of last years
>>     championship.  Its just a pleasure to watch the Lakers beat
>>     the Celtics in every phase of the game.  Again and again.
>
>I almost wish I had taped those two games, because they are certain to become
>a collectors item, since it was a once in a lifetime experience.
>
>					-- Roger Pannell

Let's all get out the violins and play Roger a sad song.

As far as all this crap about how easy the West is, can someone compile and
post the win/loss record for West vs. East teams for the last couple of
years?  Seems to me that would give us some sort of an idea if either
conference was dominant.

                                                -- Scott

lor@ucla-cs.UUCP (10/11/85)

In article <7078@ucla-cs.ARPA> srt@ucla-cs.UUCP (Scott Turner) writes:
>In article <734@decwrl.UUCP> pannell@dosadi.DEC (Roger D. Pannell   229-6893) writes:
>
>>>P.S. Lucky for me I managed to tape games 5 and 6 of last years
>>>     championship.  Its just a pleasure to watch the Lakers beat
>>>     the Celtics in every phase of the game.  Again and again.
>>
>>I almost wish I had taped those two games, because they are certain to become
>>a collectors item, since it was a once in a lifetime experience.
>>
>>					-- Roger Pannell
>
>Let's all get out the violins and play Roger a sad song.
>
>As far as all this crap about how easy the West is, can someone compile and
>post the win/loss record for West vs. East teams for the last couple of
>years?  Seems to me that would give us some sort of an idea if either
>conference was dominant.
>
>                                                -- Scott

	Roger Pannell's message is certainly sour grape. The point
is, who really cares whether the Lakers are playing in the weakest
division/conference at all. As long as they beat the Celtics/
76ers in the finals, they are the best team in the League.
The performance of the Sonics, Warriors, Clippers and so has no
bearing on the Lakers' honor as champions. Face the fact,
the Lakers' triumph over the Celts is not an upset.
As Bill Russell said, "in a seven-game series, the best team ALWAYS
wins".

--
					Eddy Lor
					...!(ihnp4,ucbvax)!ucla-cs!lor