[net.sport.hoops] NBA All Star Poll

schneider@2littl.DEC (DANIEL SCHNEIDER) (11/09/85)

                                 EAST
                               Centers
Moses  Malone  with  Ewing off the bench. When he's concentrating he's quite
possibly  the  best center in the NBA. I'd say though that since donning the
championship  ring  he's  a  little  thicker  in  the  middle  and  somewhat
complacent.  He  used  to  go  after rebounds like a tiger on EVERY rebound.
He'll  score  twenty  against everyone, but suffers from poor shot selection
and  being TOO used to hitting free-throws. Patrick will be the best overall
center  in  the  NBA  either in a few years or when Kareem retires. Thompson
taught him exceptionally well at Georgetown.

                               Forwards
Larry  Bird  and  Buck  Williams  starting. Kevin McHale, Terry Cummings and
Charles  Barkley  off the bench. Bird can do everything except look good and
teamed  with  Buck can take it easier on his body. Williams defines the term
"power  forward"  today  and  has  added  offense  every year since he was a
rookie. I don't know of an NBA player who works harder than Buck and is more
tenacious on the boards. McHale is one of the sure things in the league when
he  gets the ball down low. He'll also help backup at center since I believe
three  centers  is  custom. Needs some helping defense, but is worth it also
because  of  the  blocked  shots  and  those  long arms turn up lots of easy
follows  on  the  offensive  boards.  Cummings has been a first-class player
since  he was at DePaul. Deserves much more acclaim but there's only so much
to  go  around  and  Bird  grabs most of it. Great moves inside and a deadly
short  range  jumper. Barkley may be around for comic relief as his style is
still  quite  unsettled.  His  strong board work may be why Moses takes some
time  off  though.  Forces the offensive game too much but can really finish
off a fast break.

                                Guards
Micheal  Ray  Richardson and Sidney Moncrief starting. Isiah Thomas, Maurice
Cheeks  and  Paul  Pressey  (from  the  forwards  list)  off  the  bench. My
reasoning is that this team needs versatility and some BIG guards to keep up
with  Magic.  Richardson  is  probably  the best defensive guard today, is a
gifted  ball-handler/passer  and has really tempered his offense in the past
two  years.  Aside  from  Magic,  no  guard can dominate a game as  he  can.
Moncrief  is among the most complete athletes today. Imagine that he led the
Bucks  in  almost every catagory (incl. Rebounds) before Cummings got there.
In  a  recent  magazine  article,  Nelson  said  that Moncrief plays so much
because  he  refuses to let the team lose. I like this type of player. Isiah
is  Isiah  as  much  as  Bird  is Bird. He needs to grow and a team where he
wouldn't take as many shots, but there's always room for creativity. Pressey
last  year  was  perhaps the first "point-forward" in basketball. I was very
impressed  with his game (all areas) and more when during the playoff series
against  the Celtics, the Boston announcers babbled about his lack of "talent
level".  My  logic  is  he  must be doing something right if the Cooz is his
critic. Pressey will also be handy when guarding Magic. Does anyone know why
Danny Ainge is on this ballot?

                                 WEST
                               Centers
Kareem  starting  with  relief  from  Akeem and Sam Bowie. There is still no
better  center in the NBA than the great goggled one. Parts of his game have
obviously  been  slowing in recent years, but he has parts to his game still
that  others have never had in history. My vote for best all-time center. In
years  to  come I think the three best centers in the NBA will be the two on
this  bench and Ewing. Bowie hasn't got the offensive touch he will probably
develop  but  you've got to love his defensive and rebounding games. Akeem's
greatness  can  be summed up by comparing him to his teammate, Sampson. He's
also  still  a  long way from polished, but he made a huge impact on the NBA
last  season and obviously on the Rockets. Has the most definitive slam dunk
in basketball.

                               Forwards
Take  Dr.J of the '70s and make him taller and stronger and you've got James
Worthy.  He  picked  McHale  to  pieces on offense in the playoffs. Needs to
develop  some hunger for the boards, but in the Lakers offense he's the most
potent  fast-breaking  forward  ever. Deadly jumper which he gets off before
his  defensive  man  can blink. For this team it seems a forward who can hit
the  longer  jumpshot  is  invaluable  and  thus  Mark Aguirre will make it.
Unfortunately  he  takes  too  many, but Magic will only put the ball in his
hands  at  the  right  time and of course no one picks out the open man like
Kareem.  I've  seen him have positively unconscious nights where he couldn't
miss  these  ridiculous-turn-around-25-footers-with-a-man-in-his-shirt. For
board  work, Calvin Natt is only 6'6", but he is the Western version of Buck
Williams. Has developed a great inside game if his knees hold out. Sampson's
too big to skip, and as last year's MVP deserves some notice. Anyway I don't
like Bill Fitch either.

                                Guards
The  biggest  difference  between  the  leagues occurs at this position, but
Danny  Ainge  is  still  by far the worst player on the list. Its not out of
line  to  choose  three Lakers at guard, but I will refrain. Magic of course
has brought new meaning to the position. I'd say he's probably been the most
valuable  player  of  the '80s and definitely the most influential. Team him
with  Rolondo  Blackman  who is another Maverick who can't miss a jump shot.
Ditto  Walter  Davis,  who should be still coming back from knee surgery; he
made  a bad Pheonix team into a very good team with his shooting and desire.
Add  Michael  Cooper  if  only  to defend against Bird. Of course Cooper has
improved  his  game  every  year  and features a potent jump-shot and gifted
play-making  abilities.  The  last roster slot shall be filled by Fat Lever,
narrowly  over  Clyde  the Glide. Both are great playmakers, but Drexler too
often  seems  out of control and may indeed set records for turnovers before
his  career  is  through. Lever is one of those players who helped transform
Denver to a team that went deep into the playoffs.

		Daniel Schneider
		{decvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-2littl!schneider

sdp@chinet.UUCP (steve d. pruitt) (11/22/85)

In article <1340@decwrl.UUCP> schneider@2littl.DEC (DANIEL SCHNEIDER) writes:
>				  EAST
>                               Forwards
>Barkley may be around for comic relief as his style is
>still  quite  unsettled.

Why have an "unsettled comic" around (taking up a lot of room) when you have
the most explosive forward in the East available in Orlando Woolridge (sorry
Dominique, you're too inconsistent and Bernard is hurt) who should be a clear
choice when it's time to pick the fifth best forward in the conference.

>Forces the offensive game too much...

You don't have this problem with the third leading scorer in the LEAGUE.

>...but can really finish off a fast break.

Obviously you haven't seen 'O' come down on a berak with one of his
"MONSTER" dunks (they'ed leave Barkley breathless).

>                                Guards
>Richardson  is  probably  the best defensive guard today...

Don't say that too loud in Milwaukee!

>Aside  from  Magic,  no  guard can dominate a game as  he  can.

Surely you jest.  Give me Michael Jordan any day of the week
when we're talking most dominant guard in the East (even with his limited
pro experience).  When we talk about impact on the LEAGUE, not just one team,
comming into the pro's, the only (non centers) other players of this magnatude
are Magic, Doc and Bird (in that order) for at least the past decade (maybe of
all time if you want to streach it a bit).
After all he's only going to be out six or eight weeks
with that bad ankle and that's enough time to be back before the mid winter
clasic. If I was a gambling man I'd wager that the majority of the fickle fans
that vote for players won't even consider the fact that Michael J. has missed
so many games and that he'll get the nod along side Isiah as the starting
guards in the East.

>Pressey...I was very impressed  with his game (all areas)...
>Does anyone know why Danny Ainge is on this ballot?

I strongly agree, if Paul wasn't on the same team with Sid he'd probably
be recognized as one of the leagues most versitle players and best athletes.
As for Danny boy, he's in the only place where he could be tolerated outside
of the state of Utah.

>                                 WEST
>                               Centers
> Akeem'greatness  can  be summed up by comparing him to his teammate, Sampson.

I keep thinking how silly it is to have a 7'4 "small forward" (even a 7'4
power forward sounds pretty dumb) until I remember who's REALLY playing center
down in Texas (Akeem the dream and not Ralph the joke).

> ...Has the most definitive slam dunk in basketball.

Remember a guy named Darryl D. and the IN-YO-FACE-DISGRACE Thunder dunk?

>                               Forwards
>Take  Dr.J of the '70s and make him taller and stronger and you've got James
>Worthy.

Now you've gone too far to dare compare James Worthy with a living legend!
your fingers must be numb from typing and it has effect your power of reason.
In one word "Dr.J of the '70s" was AWSOME.  Please remember the NBA has only
seen him since '76 and he had to tone down much of his game to fit in with
the, uh, talented Sixers.  DID YOU SEE HIM IN THE ABA where he carried not
a whole team, not just a division or conference but AN ENTIRE LEAGUE!!!
James is just a good player on a very good team.  Poor comparison.

>Mark Aguirre...
>I've  seen him have positively unconscious nights where he couldn't
>miss  these  ridiculous-turn-around-25-footers-with-a-man-in-his-shirt.

That's why Dick Motta begged the Dallas brass to draft him (Dick loves a
forward who can flat out shoot).  On the west side of Chicago He's
affectionately known as "Big Mark"  and in the day of the 6'9 to 7'4
"small forward" he's a gem, probably one of the best 6'5 forwards to
ever play the game.
		. "Living forever isn't just a dream!"	.
		.					.
		.	     Steve Pruitt		.
		.	  !ihnp4!chinet!sdp		.