[net.sport.hoops] NBA ALL-Star Poll

schneider@2littl.DEC (DANIEL SCHNEIDER) (12/02/85)

>In article <1340@decwrl.UUCP> schneider@2littl.DEC (DANIEL SCHNEIDER) writes:
>>				  EAST
>>                               Forwards
>>Barkley may be around for comic relief as his style is
>>still  quite  unsettled.

>Why have an "unsettled comic" around (taking up a lot of room) when you have
>the most explosive forward in the East available in Orlando Woolridge (sorry
>Dominique, you're too inconsistent and Bernard is hurt) who should be a clear
>choice when it's time to pick the fifth best forward in the conference.

You're right.  Woolridge deserves much more exposure, but unfortunately I don't
get to see many Bulls games.  Any nephew of Willis Reed's is a friend of mine.

>>Forces the offensive game too much...

>You don't have this problem with the third leading scorer in the LEAGUE.

>>...but can really finish off a fast break.

>Obviously you haven't seen 'O' come down on a berak with one of his
>"MONSTER" dunks (they'ed leave Barkley breathless).

Ya'know, before this weekend (when I first read this opinion) I would have
been inclined to switch my vote, but then I saw Barkley take apart the Celtics
and then the Knicks.  He has turned into a great player and perhaps the new
leader of the '76ers.  He has a comic appeal but don't let that fool you.
I predict great things for him.  He deserves to be an All-Star.

>>                                Guards
>>Richardson  is  probably  the best defensive guard today...

>Don't say that too loud in Milwaukee!

>>Aside  from  Magic,  no  guard can dominate a game as  he  can.

>Surely you jest.  Give me Michael Jordan any day of the week
>when we're talking most dominant guard in the East (even with his limited
>pro experience).  When we talk about impact on the LEAGUE, not just one team,
>comming into the pro's, the only (non centers) other players of this magnatude
>are Magic, Doc and Bird (in that order) for at least the past decade (maybe of
>all time if you want to streach it a bit).

Nobody can dominate the game like the man with the ball, so a point guard
has an unfair advantage if he's any good.  And I was interested in picking
a team to win, not just impact the league.  Jordan  is  already  perhaps
the  best  offensive  guard  in  the  NBA, but Richardson does it all.

>> Akeem'greatness  can  be summed up by comparing him to his teammate, Sampson.

>I keep thinking how silly it is to have a 7'4 "small forward" (even a 7'4
>power forward sounds pretty dumb) until I remember who's REALLY playing center
>down in Texas (Akeem the dream and not Ralph the joke).

>> ...Has the most definitive slam dunk in basketball.

>Remember a guy named Darryl D. and the IN-YO-FACE-DISGRACE Thunder dunk?

There's something different about the way Akeem dunks, though.  Has anyone
noticed?  One moment he gets a rebound under the basket and the next he's
ramming it through, BUT there doesn't seems to be any time in between the two
acts.  Quickest leaping big man I've ever seen.

>>                               Forwards
>>Take  Dr.J of the '70s and make him taller and stronger and you've got James
>>Worthy.

>Now you've gone too far to dare compare James Worthy with a living legend!
>your fingers must be numb from typing and it has effect your power of reason.
>In one word "Dr.J of the '70s" was AWSOME.  Please remember the NBA has only
>seen him since '76 and he had to tone down much of his game to fit in with
>the, uh, talented Sixers.  DID YOU SEE HIM IN THE ABA where he carried not
>a whole team, not just a division or conference but AN ENTIRE LEAGUE!!!

You're talking to an ex-New Jerseyite who used to listen on the radio (they
were almost never televised) to Nets teams BEFORE the Doctor (Rick Barry and
Willie Sojourner, Bill Melchionne, etc. etc.) There's no news you can tell me
about Doc in his prime that I don't know.  Did you listen to the series against
San Antonio (1975 I believe) which went to seven games.  I'd say that was
the absolute peak of his career.  He was scoring 40+ points a game, and won
a  couple  of  games  with  last-second  long  range  jumpers when the whole
building knew he was shooting!

>James is just a good player on a very good team.  Poor comparison.

Worthy  will  never  do  what  Erving has done (no one will), but he has the
talent  and  that  is  what I was pointing out. He doesn't have to carry the
Lakers.

>		.	     Steve Pruitt		.

It should be noted that Steve and I agreed on as many points as we disagreed
on, but that's just not news...

		Daniel Schneider
		{decvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-2littl!schneider