[net.sport.hoops] Danny Ainge

jwg@teddy.UUCP (11/11/85)

In article <1326@decwrl.UUCP> fredrickson@learn.DEC writes:
> ... [Ainge] can shoot,
>pass, play both point and big guard, runs the break and is
>extraordinarily quick for a caucasian.

Not to mention rebound.  His teammates call him "pocket moses".

--
->	    Jim Galbiati,  GenRad Inc,  Production Test Division	    <-
->USmail:   Mail Stop 6, 300 Baker Ave, Concord, Mass.  01742		    <-

msf@rayssd.UUCP (Michael S. Frank) (11/14/85)

> In article <1326@decwrl.UUCP> fredrickson@learn.DEC writes:
> > ... [Ainge] can shoot,
> >pass, play both point and big guard, runs the break and is
> >extraordinarily quick for a caucasian.
>
> Not to mention rebound.  His teammates call him "pocket moses".

This was only a joke nickname, caused by a game-saving rebound in the playoffs.
--
  -----------------------------
  |\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

schneider@2littl.DEC (DANIEL SCHNEIDER) (11/15/85)

>In article <1326@decwrl.UUCP> fredrickson@learn.DEC writes:
>> ... [Ainge] can shoot,
>>pass, play both point and big guard, runs the break and is
>>extraordinarily quick for a caucasian.

>Not to mention rebound.  His teammates call him "pocket moses".
>->	    Jim Galbiati,  GenRad Inc,  Production Test Division	    <-

I believe the nickname is a patronizing one, stemming from Isiah's
nickname of "pocket Magic" and resulting from Ainge's two big rebounds
in a playoff game last year.  As a regular Celtic viewer, I would
describe Ainge's talents as below par for the NBA.  He can get streaky
when shooting open jumpers, but his play is usually too immature when
this happens as he will start forcing shots and usually get yanked by
KC.  On the other hand, I could probably start in Ainge's spot and the
Celtics would still make it to the finals.

		Daniel Schneider
		{decvax}!dec-rhea!dec-2littl!schneider

PS.  That is if we can make it by the Nets!

plw@panda.UUCP (Pete Williamson) (11/15/85)

>                            As a regular Celtic viewer, I would
>describe Ainge's talents as below par for the NBA.  He can get streaky
>when shooting open jumpers, but his play is usually too immature when
>this happens as he will start forcing shots and usually get yanked by
>KC.

I disagree about his overall talents being sub-par.
Danny's defense last season was excellent. He's a smart "scrappy"
ballplayer and a fairly decent shooter.

My All Star Ballot:

EAST
        Moses Malone - Center
        Larry Bird - Forward
        Kevin McHale - Forward
        Mo Cheeks - Guard
        Dennis Johnson - Guard

        Subs:  Parish, Ruland, Cummings, B. King, M.R.Richardson, Jordan

WEST
        Kareem Abdul Jabbar - Center
        (any other four guys)

OUTCOME:
        I could care less as long as nobody gets hurt.

Incidently, I just love the way KC is using the bench this year. Hopefully
the Celts will be ready and rested for Philly and LA in the playoffs.

--
						Pete Williamson
"By hook or by crook, we will !!" ... #2

mk@linus.UUCP (Mike Kaplan) (11/18/85)

>My All Star Ballot:
>
>EAST
>        Moses Malone - Center
>        Larry Bird - Forward
>        Kevin McHale - Forward
>        Mo Cheeks - Guard
>        Dennis Johnson - Guard
>
>        Subs:  Parish, Ruland, Cummings, B. King, M.R.Richardson, Jordan
>
>WEST
>        Kareem Abdul Jabbar - Center
>        (any other four guys)
>
>OUTCOME:
>        I could care less as long as nobody gets hurt.
>
>Incidently, I just love the way KC is using the bench this year. Hopefully
>the Celts will be ready and rested for Philly and LA in the playoffs.
>

>--
>						Pete Williamson

Playing Philly in the playoffs is a rest for playing LA in the finals!

Mike Kaplan, Mitre Corp.

jm630@uiucuxa.CSO.UIUC.EDU (11/21/85)

Whatever you feel Danny's basketball attributes are....

Let us not forget that he is the League's MVW -- MOST VALUABLE WHINER!!!

Oh yeah, remember when good
                           'ol Danny Boy led the league

                           in most OFFENSIVE BITES IN A SEASON.

Yes indeed, Danny Ainge is a true MODEL player which ALL youngsters should
look up to with the highest respect.

                                      GO 76'ers

       "I hate the cigars, the color green, and the Celtics!"

                                      Joe "Philadelphia" Matthews

sdo@faron.UUCP (Sean David O'Neil) (11/26/85)

In article <20100015@uiucuxa> jm630@uiucuxa.CSO.UIUC.EDU writes:

>Whatever you feel Danny's basketball attributes are....
>
>Let us not forget that he is the League's MVW -- MOST VALUABLE WHINER!!!
>
>Oh yeah, remember when good
>                           'ol Danny Boy led the league
>
>                           in most OFFENSIVE BITES IN A SEASON.
                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>Yes indeed, Danny Ainge is a true MODEL player which ALL youngsters should
>look up to with the highest respect.
>

>                                      GO 76'ers
>
>       "I hate the cigars, the color green, and the Celtics!"
>
>                                      Joe "Philadelphia" Matthews

While I agree that in spite of all his efforts, Ainge is a mediocre
basketball player at best (for the NBA) I think your posting is
rather unfair.  Let's not forget that Ainge never bit anyone, rather
it was Tree Rollins who bit Ainge's finger down to the bone.

Whatever his failings as a basketball player, I see no reason to
excoriate Ainge.  Especially when one considers some of the
rather colorful characters inhabiting the league (anyone remember
what Quentin Dailey of the Bulls did in college?).  So what if
Ainge is as bland as boiled flounder?  At least he's off drugs
and out of jail which, if you believe the incredible tripe that
emerges from the pens of most sportswriters, makes him almost
fit for canonization.

                                       Sean O'Neil

plw@panda.UUCP (Pete Williamson) (11/27/85)

>Oh yeah, remember when good
>                           'ol Danny Boy led the league
>
>                           in most OFFENSIVE BITES IN A SEASON.

Why is it that so many people have this backwards??

The man gets bitten quite badly in the hand by an animal in the
Playoffs last year, and somehow people think Danny bit the animal.
Incredible!!

--
						Pete Williamson
"By hook or by crook, we will !!" ... #2

page@ucla-cs.UUCP (11/27/85)

>Let's not forget that Ainge never bit anyone, rather
>it was Tree Rollins who bit Ainge's finger down to the bone.
>

>                                       Sean O'Neil

That's not the way I remember the incedent.  Has Sean's brain selectively
altered the memory or has mine?

				         Tom Page

lor@ucla-cs.UUCP (11/27/85)

In article <7788@ucla-cs.ARPA> page@ucla-cs.UUCP (Tom Page) writes:
>>Let's not forget that Ainge never bit anyone, rather
>>it was Tree Rollins who bit Ainge's finger down to the bone.
>>

>>                                       Sean O'Neil
>
>That's not the way I remember the incedent.  Has Sean's brain selectively
>altered the memory or has mine?
>
>				         Tom Page

	This is what happened in that 1983 Celtics-Hawks playoff game:

i) Ainge shoved/elbowed Rollins underneath the basket.

ii) Rollins punched Ainge at the top of the key when running downcourt.

iii) Ainge tackled Rollins and resulted in a bench-clearing brawl.

iv) Rollins bit Ainge in the melee.

	Well, so you know who was to be blamed for the incident.

--
					Eddy Lor
					...!(ihnp4,ucbvax)!ucla-cs!lor

dickman@uwmacc.UUCP (Alan Lloyd Dickman) (11/29/85)

In article <7788@ucla-cs.ARPA> page@ucla-cs.UUCP (Tom Page) writes:
>>Let's not forget that Ainge never bit anyone, rather
>>it was Tree Rollins who bit Ainge's finger down to the bone.
>>                                       Sean O'Neil
>That's not the way I remember the incedent.  Has Sean's brain selectively
>altered the memory or has mine?
>				         Tom Page

Yours has....

                                          Alan Dickman

plw@panda.UUCP (Pete Williamson) (11/30/85)

>	This is what happened in that 1983 Celtics-Hawks playoff game:
>i) Ainge shoved/elbowed Rollins underneath the basket.
>ii) Rollins punched Ainge at the top of the key when running downcourt.
>iii) Ainge tackled Rollins and resulted in a bench-clearing brawl.

>iv) Rollins bit Ainge in the melee.

I thought Rollins bit Ainge in the finger !!

>	Well, so you know who was to be blamed for the incident.

Yep. Tree Rollins and Danny Ainge !!

--
						Pete Williamson
"By hook or by crook, we will !!" ... #2

schneider@2littl.DEC (DANIEL SCHNEIDER) (12/02/85)

>>                            As a regular Celtic viewer, I would
>>describe Ainge's talents as below par for the NBA.  He can get streaky
>>when shooting open jumpers, but his play is usually too immature when
>>this happens as he will start forcing shots and usually get yanked by
>>KC.

>I disagree about his overall talents being sub-par.
>Danny's defense last season was excellent. He's a smart "scrappy"
>ballplayer and a fairly decent shooter.

Excellent?!? Be serious.  Sidney Moncrief plays "excellent" defense; so
does Michael Ray Richardson, Darrel Walker and usually Maurice Cheeks.
(This list is by no means complete.)  Ainge pales in comparison to these
players.  "Fairly decent" is on the high end of how I'd refer to the player
who spent two of his first four years at or near the bottom of the ENTIRE
league in shooting percentage.  He has improved somewhat since then but
we should keep in mind that his job is to shoot wide open jump shots because
of the Celtics inside strength.  "Below par" seems quite appropriate.

		Daniel Schneider
		{decvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-2littl!schneider

pannell@dosadi.DEC (Roger D. Pannell 229-6893) (12/03/85)

>>Let's not forget that Ainge never bit anyone, rather
>>it was Tree Rollins who bit Ainge's finger down to the bone.
>>

>>                                      Sean O'Neil
>
>That's not the way I remember the incedent.  Has Sean's brain selectively
>altered the memory or has mine?
>
>				         Tom Page

What I remember about the incident was, the Celtics had just scored, Ainge was
back on defense at about half court.  As Tree Rollins crossed half court he
forearmed Ainge to the floor.  Of course Ainge retaliated as anyone would do
and tackled Rollins.  The replay of the fight clearly showed Rollins grasp
Ainge's hand and pull it to his mouth, and he bit it.  What must have
"selectively altered" peoples memory could have been the fact that later that
year a sporting publication listed their all-dirty team and Ainge was selected
as guard because he had bitten someone.  That was unfortunate because it was
untrue.

					-- Roger Pannell

ARPA:    pannell%dosadi.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA, pannell%dosadi.DEC@Purdue-Merlin.ARPA
UUCP:    {allegra, decvax, ucbvax}!decwrl!rhea!dosadi!pannell

schneider@2littl.DEC (DANIEL SCHNEIDER) (12/05/85)

[Incident where Tree Rollins bit Danny Ainge's finger.]

>What I remember about the incident was, the Celtics had just scored, Ainge was
>back on defense at about half court.  As Tree Rollins crossed half court he
>forearmed Ainge to the floor.  Of course Ainge retaliated as anyone would do
>and tackled Rollins.  The replay of the fight clearly showed Rollins grasp
>Ainge's hand and pull it to his mouth, and he bit it.  What must have
>"selectively altered" peoples memory could have been the fact that later that
>year a sporting publication listed their all-dirty team and Ainge was selected
>as guard because he had bitten someone.  That was unfortunate because it was
>untrue.
>					--  Roger Pannell

Tain't hard to figure out what team you root for.  The way it was announced
and the way it was reported outside of Boston (and the way the television
showed  it)  was  Ainge throwing HIS forearm towards Rollins face as the two
were jogging upcourt, Rollins sort of hip-checked Danny, and then the melee
ensued.  Ainge was the clear aggressor, BUT did suffer the bite.

Ainge's reputation for "dirty" play preceeded this and continued after this.
In time, BECAUSE OF HIS REPUTATION, the incident with Rollins sometimes got
switched around. It should be noted that the next series (Boston vs. Atlanta
was  the  first playoff series for the Celtics), Milwaukee coach, Don Nelson
made  it  news  to reporters that he considered Ainge the dirtiest player in
the league for incidents just like the one he instigated vs. Rollins.

Nelson probably resorted to this as much for "psyching" his team as for
fingering Ainge, as Ainge (and the rest of the Celtics) had a lot of trouble
with a hostile crowd, bad press and the Milwaukee Bucks.  Red Auerbach
jumped to Ainge's defense with an attack on his ex-player Nelson,
basically making some stupid statement about Nelson no longer being part
of the Celtic "family".  As Celtic fans know, the final part of this
episode was the Milwaukee fans bringing brooms to the final game as the Buck's
swept in four straight.

djm@rayssd.UUCP (Dan R. Murphy) (12/12/85)

> >it was Tree Rollins who bit Ainge's finger down to the bone.
> >

> >                                       Sean O'Neil
>
> That's not the way I remember the incedent.  Has Sean's brain selectively
> altered the memory or has mine?
>
> 				         Tom Page

Sorry Tom, but it was Rollins who bit Ainge.

                                         Dan Murphy