[net.sport.hoops] GREAT GAME THIS SATURDAY

michaelf@ISM780.UUCP (01/13/86)

			GAME OF THE WEEK

	  Syracuse Orangemen at Lousiville Cardinals,  Jan. 18, 1986

	  My favorite Orangemen will be taking on my second-favorite
    team, Denny Crum's Louisville Cardinals this saturday in Louisville.
    Although I'll be cheering at both ends of the floor, my heart is
    with 'Cuse. This may be their year.

          This will be a great test for the Orange. I'm sure it
    will be a great game as there are so many quality athletes on
    both teams. I'm interested in seeing a certain guard for
    Lousiville, I think his name is Kevin Walls.
    He was supposed to play last year but a broken foot
    sidelined him for the season (and broke Crum's 20-wins+
    streak). He was a highly recruited guard out of the New
    Jersey area.  Anyone who averaged 44 points a game as a
    senior is worth looking into.

	   Did anyone catch the end of that Bradley game on Saturday?
    Whew! Nuff said.

	  On an NBA note, those tough Celts are slowly catching up
    to the Lakers in terms of the best won-lost record. The Green
    was stumbling at the end of December and I'm not sure if I'm
    totally sold on Walton yet (his "O" or lack of it bugs me)
    but they do know how to win.

	  In all those years the Celtics were dominating in the 60's,
    they never had the league's leading scorer. I thought it was
    due totally to team ball, but I've been noticing something
    lately. The great teams usually yank their starters mid-way
    through the 3rd qrtr. Larry (no last name needed, kinda like Elvis)
    The Lakers and the Celtics keep their best players off the court
    when the game is in hand.

	  I heard a rumor that Isiah Thomas quit the Pistons. The next
    day I saw him playing against Philly. After all night of praying that
    Red Auerbach would somehow pick him up. Damn.

	  Next to the Lakers, the Hawks have the most exciting team
    in the NBA. Not only CAN all their players jam with authority,
    they DO. Even Spud.

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (01/15/86)

                                THE GAME OF THE WEEK

          without a doubt must be considered #1 North Carolina hosting  #3  Duke
     to open their new arena in Chapel Hill.  Both teams could be going into the
     game undefeated; this could be a preview of the national championship.  UNC
     has  dominated  many opponents this season (but was an 84 point win against
     Manhattan a sportsman-like gesture), but has had a weaker  schedule.   Duke
     won  the inaugural Big Apple NIT, including a victory over #9 St. John's in
     New York City (Isn't it interesting that  in  the  week  they  lost  to  an
     unranked  team they moved up one spot in the polls by beating the team that
     lost the #1 draft pick last year?).  At the  end  of  December  there  were
     three  teams  in  the Top Twenty, each with one loss to Duke as a result of
     that tournament.  I expect a tough game here with UNC coming out on top  by
     three, possibly with the score down in the 60's.

     I also expect that I will eat my words next Monday.
--
James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

"It's a sort of mini-clone!"  Who said them, what story?

brawn@mcnc.UUCP (01/17/86)

In article <1054@abnji.UUCP> nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) writes:

>                                THE GAME OF THE WEEK
>

>          without a doubt must be considered #1 North Carolina hosting  #3  Duke
>     to open their new arena in Chapel Hill.  Both teams could be going into the

The game is now #1 North Carolina hosting #2 Duke with Michigan's loss to
Minnesota.

>     game undefeated; this could be a preview of the national championship.  UNC
>     has  dominated  many opponents this season (but was an 84 point win against
>     Manhattan a sportsman-like gesture), but has had a weaker  schedule.

Dean Smith did not schedule this game.  They went into this tournament
expecting to play Miami.  Also, the reserves (collectively) played more
minutes than the starters, What else can you do?).  But it is true that this
season's December schedule has been the weakest one for the Tar Heels in
recent memory.

Andrew Brawn.  GO HEELS!

bch@mcnc.UUCP (01/20/86)

In article <1054@abnji.UUCP> nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) writes:
> I expect a tough game here with UNC coming out on top  by
> three, possibly with the score down in the 60's.
>
>  I also expect that I will eat my words next Monday.
>--
>James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

Impressive.  You called the spread but not the base.  Still....

I thought this was one of the best college basketball games I've seen
in a while -- a genuinely hard fought but fair contest between two
class programs.  Duke certainly has nothing to be ashamed of (I never
figured they would even though I bleed Carolinal Blue.)

The big winner was, of course, the Dean E. Smith Student Activities
Center which proved to be fairly intimate for 21,000+ seats.  A
remarkable building.  Even folks with stratospheric seats like ours
never feel removed from the game.
--

						Byron C. Howes
				      ...!{decvax,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!bch