[net.sport.hoops] Dean E Smith SAC?

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (01/21/86)

Am I the only one who finds it a bit off to name a building after an
active coach?

I personally who have named the building the University of North
Carolina SAC, and when Coach Smith retires, then rename it.  It just
strikes me as a bit tacky to name it such while he is active.

Really, it is better to name it after Frank McGuire, after all, he
won as many NCAA titles in fewer attempts! :-)
--
James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

"It's a sort of mini-clone!"  Who said them, what story?

bch@mcnc.UUCP (01/24/86)

In article <1060@abnji.UUCP> nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) writes:
>Am I the only one who finds it a bit off to name a building after an
>active coach?

No, but there is a long tradition in North Carolina of naming buildings
After living people.  Louis Round Wilson had an office in Louis Round
Wilson library up until his death.  Walter R. Davis didn't contribute
enough to the SAC to have it named after him, so he got the new library
instead (or so the story goes.)  Grey Culbreath was alive when they named
a local Junior High after him and Senator B. Everett Jordan was alive
when they planned Jordan Lake.  I guess there are just regional differences
about these sorts of things.

>Really, it is better to name it after Frank McGuire, after all, he
>won as many NCAA titles in fewer attempts! :-)

Um, Frank McGuire left UNC as a direct result of the point shaving scandals
surrounding the "Dixie Classic" in the late '50s and early '60s.  That is
something that we'd just as soon not be reminded of.  Besides, it isn't the
winning record that marks Smith, but the tone he has set for athletics in
addition to a winning record.  If you aren't a Carolina fan you simply do
not understand how much reverence is held for Coach Smith in Chapel Hill.
--

						Byron C. Howes
				      ...!{decvax,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!bch