[net.sport.hoops] This years Lakers the GREATEST?

mlt@mb2c.UUCP (Mark L. Tompkins) (01/20/86)

Both major Detroit papers carried articles in Sunday's editions comparing
the 85-86 Lakers with the greatest teams of all time ( the 71-72 Lakers,
the 72-73 Bucks, the 64-65 Celtics, the 70-71 Knicks, and the 66-67 Warriors ).
After all, the mighty Lakers were coming to town to play the Pistons, losers
of 15 of their last 20, on national TV.

Final score: Pistons 118, Lakers 115.

So much for the "greatest team of all time" ( although I will admit they do
have a decent shot at winning 70 games this season, but if they can't beat a
struggling Detroit team, who knows... )

  -- Mark

plw@panda.UUCP (Pete Williamson) (01/22/86)

>Both major Detroit papers carried articles in Sunday's editions comparing
>the 85-86 Lakers with the greatest teams of all time ( the 71-72 Lakers,
>the 72-73 Bucks, the 64-65 Celtics, the 70-71 Knicks, and the 66-67 Warriors ).

They must have meant the 1957-1965 Celtics !!

This year's edition of the Lakers could indeed win 70 games; they are
playing in the Western Conference.  This year's Celtics are not too
shabby either.

--
						Pete Williamson
"By hook or by crook, we will !!" ... #2

lor@ucla-cs.UUCP (01/22/86)

In article <442@mb2c.UUCP> mlt@mb2c.UUCP (Mark L. Tompkins) writes:
>Both major Detroit papers carried articles in Sunday's editions comparing
>the 85-86 Lakers with the greatest teams of all time ( the 71-72 Lakers,
>the 72-73 Bucks, the 64-65 Celtics, the 70-71 Knicks, and the 66-67 Warriors ).
>After all, the mighty Lakers were coming to town to play the Pistons, losers
>of 15 of their last 20, on national TV.
>
>Final score: Pistons 118, Lakers 115.
>
>So much for the "greatest team of all time" ( although I will admit they do
>have a decent shot at winning 70 games this season, but if they can't beat a
>struggling Detroit team, who knows... )
>

>  -- Mark

        How can this Laker team be considered the greatest if it
fails to win the championship? All talks about their greatness
are baloney right now!
I am afraid all the Laker hype, like the CBS's half-time feature
(Dynasty II?) last Sunday, will just irritate and fire up the Celtics.
I hope I won't see Auerbach saying this in June: "This Celtic team
is the greatest of all time!"

--
                                        Eddy Lor
                                        ...!(ihnp4,ucbvax)!ucla-cs!lor

michaelf@ISM780.UUCP (01/24/86)

	      The 1985-86 Celtics just beat them by 15 points.
	  Celtic haters beware...........
					 .
					  .
					   .
					    .
					     .
					      .
					       Larry is back.

asp@hao.UUCP (Advanced Studies Project) (01/26/86)

> In article <442@mb2c.UUCP> mlt@mb2c.UUCP (Mark L. Tompkins) writes:
> >Both major Detroit papers carried articles in Sunday's editions comparing
> >the 85-86 Lakers with the greatest teams of all time ( the 71-72 Lakers,
> >the 72-73 Bucks, the 64-65 Celtics, the 70-71 Knicks, and the 66-67 Warriors ).
> >Final score: Pistons 118, Lakers 115.
> >
> >So much for the "greatest team of all time" ( although I will admit they do
> >have a decent shot at winning 70 games this season, but if they can't beat a
> >struggling Detroit team, who knows... )
> >

> >  -- Mark
>
> 	How can this Laker team be considered the greatest if it
> fails to win the championship? All talks about their greatness
> are baloney right now!
> 					Eddy Lor

     Agreed.  Having lost 4 or their last 5 games, the Lakers no longer
have a decent shot at winning 70 games, and they no longer have the best
record in the NBA this season.  It amazes me how people can start calling
a team one of the greatest of all time (or Dynasty II) in the first half
of the season, long before they've had a chance to defend their title.
The season is only half over -- a lot could happen.  Right now the Celtics
are playing the best ball in the NBA.

       allegra!nbires
      ucbvax!hplabs  \                  Chuck D'Ambra
                    \ \                 Advanced Study Program
      mcvax!seismo - hao!asp            National Center for Atmospheric Research
                    /                   P.O. Box 3000
 {decvax|ihnp4}!noao                    Boulder, CO 80307

gates@bdmrrr.UUCP (Al Gates) (01/27/86)

If this years Lakers are the greatest, and the Nuggets have won three out
of four games against them (which they have), does this make

       THE NUGGETS EVEN BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--

Al Gates
BDM Corporation       ^   ^   ^   ^   {seismo,rlgvax}!bdmrrr!gates

plw@panda.UUCP (Pete Williamson) (01/27/86)

>	How can this Laker team be considered the greatest if it
>fails to win the championship? All talks about their greatness
>are baloney right now!
>I am afraid all the Laker hype, like the CBS's half-time feature
>(Dynasty II?) last Sunday, will just irritate and fire up the Celtics.
>I hope I won't see Auerbach saying this in June: "This Celtic team
>is the greatest of all time!"

Of course a week ago, this year's edition of the Lakers were being
considered as potentially the greatest team of all time.  This week
it seems that they now have to win 40 odd games in a row to reach
the 70 mark. (like all the rest of the regular season games!)

Now this edition of the Celtics has a better record than the Lakers thus
far, but I would never consider them as a candidate for the greatest team
of all time.

By the way, Red never talks dynasty until a team wins three or four
world championships in a row.

--
						Pete Williamson
"By hook or by crook, we will !!" ... #2

mom@sfmag.UUCP (M.Modig) (01/28/86)

> 	How can this Laker team be considered the greatest if it
> fails to win the championship? All talks about their greatness
> are baloney right now!
> I am afraid all the Laker hype, like the CBS's half-time feature
> (Dynasty II?) last Sunday, will just irritate and fire up the Celtics.
> I hope I won't see Auerbach saying this in June: "This Celtic team
> is the greatest of all time!"

Only time will tell, but right now the Lakers look like anything but
the greatest, due to some fairly poor recent performances.  The
Celtics are doing better, though I'd hardly say they were the
greatest.  Maybe if one of them beats the other four straight in the
championship series you might be able to start putting together some
sort of argument about the winner being the greatest.

As far as the hype is concerned, my reaction ranges from being
annoyed to becoming infuriated.  Although I am a diehard Lakers fan,
I became heartily tired of that little vignette they showed last
year in the playoffs where Magic called that guy out of the stands.
That sort of garbage really upsets me, even if it does involve my
team.  What's next, the In-Your-Face Full Court Shuffle?

Mark Modig
ihnp4!attunix!mom