[net.sport.hoops] strategy, technique, etc.

roy@qvax2.UUCP (Roy Gordon) (01/30/86)

I'm an avid basketball fan, especially inclined to the professional game.
My knowledge of basketball is limited, however, and I would like to increase
it.  Can anyone recommend books, magazines, video tapes, etc. that deal
with strategy, coaching, technique, or whatever.  I'm looking for meaty
stuff.  I have no interest in the usual adulatory writing about sports figures.

Thanks in advance.

		Roy Gordon

srt@ucla-cs.UUCP (02/02/86)

In article <3@qvax2.UUCP> roy@qvax2.UUCP (Roy Gordon) writes:
>I'm an avid basketball fan, especially inclined to the professional game.
>My knowledge of basketball is limited, however, and I would like to increase
>it.  Can anyone recommend books, magazines, video tapes, etc. that deal
>with strategy, coaching, technique, or whatever.

I liked Wooden's book.  I forget the exact title.  It's really a coach's
primer on all aspects of the game, though less is said about offense than
defense.

Listening to Al McGuire can be an education, too.  Does this guy know some
hoop or what?  Maybe there are some Billy Packer fans out there, but for my
money Al is the best color man in any sport.   With John Madden a close
second.

                                                        -- Scott Turner

bch@mcnc.UUCP (02/03/86)

In article <3@qvax2.UUCP> roy@qvax2.UUCP (Roy Gordon) writes:
>I'm an avid basketball fan, especially inclined to the professional game.
>My knowledge of basketball is limited, however, and I would like to increase
>it.  Can anyone recommend books, magazines, video tapes, etc. that deal
>with strategy, coaching, technique, or whatever.

For pure X's and O's I'd recommend "Basketball:  Multiple Offense and
Defense" by Dean Smith.  (Who, me biased?)  Unfortunately, the book is
more dense than some math textbooks I've encountered and it really ought
to have a illustrative video tape.  It is not for the basketball novice.

I don't know, particularly with its emphasis on many defenses that are
simply not allowed in pro basketball, that it would be terribly useful
in understanding that less disciplined environment.
--

						Byron C. Howes
				      ...!{decvax,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!bch