[net.sport.hoops] Class Act of the Week

bch@mcnc.UUCP (01/20/86)

N.C. State's Jim Valvano rushing to console a heartsick Mark Cline of
Wake Forest after Cline missed a 24 foot jumper that would have capped
a remarkable game by an outmanned Wake Forest and would have beaten
N.C. State.  Valvano continues to show he is one of the few coaches who
care more about what's happening to the players than about the W's and
the L's.
--

						Byron C. Howes
				      ...!{decvax,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!bch

tbridg@iuvax.UUCP (01/29/86)

I am sure that is why he is playing a convict on a college basketball
team.  If you think he is doing it for Washburn's sake and not W's you
live in the wrong century.

bch@mcnc.UUCP (02/03/86)

In article <10100008@iuvax.UUCP> tbridg@iuvax.UUCP writes:

>I am sure that is why he is playing a convict on a college basketball
>team.  If you think he is doing it for Washburn's sake and not W's you
>live in the wrong century.

First, Washburn has paid his debt to society and is not, therefore, a
convict in the reasonable sense of the word.  Second, if Valvano put
wins entirely first, he would have reinstated Washburn last year.
Finally, at the risk of taking a cheap shot (or at least cheaper
than yours) it is difficult to see how anyone from Bobby Knight land
has any business complaining about any other coaches behavior.

What does this have to do with Valvano's concern with Mark Cline,
anyway?

--

afb@pucc-i (Michael Lewis) (02/04/86)

In article <1137@mcnc.mcnc.UUCP>, bch@mcnc.UUCP writes:
> >I am sure that is why he is playing a convict on a college basketball
> >team.  If you think he is doing it for Washburn's sake and not W's you
> >live in the wrong century.
>
> First, Washburn has paid his debt to society and is not, therefore, a
> convict in the reasonable sense of the word.  Second, if Valvano put
> wins entirely first, he would have reinstated Washburn last year.
> Finally, at the risk of taking a cheap shot (or at least cheaper
> than yours) it is difficult to see how anyone from Bobby Knight land
> has any business complaining about any other coaches behavior.

      I'm from "Bobby Knight Land", and I'd like to say that Bob Knight has
more *integrity* (which is what we're talking about) in his left big toe than
Valvano will ever have.  By the way, I'm from Purdue, where the coach (Gene
Keady) also doesn't cheat and also wins a lot of games.  I wonder what
percentage of Valvano's players over the years have *gotten degrees*?
Knight may smash a few offending chairs and punch a few rude Puerto Rican
cops, but nobody plays ball at IU if they can't get a degree there.  The
same holds true at Purdue.

     The recent fantastic performances by Michigan State's Scott Skiles have
again caused me to have contempt for the NCAA's priorities.  I can't understand
why a guy that has *multiple* arrests and convictions (I believe the number is
two or three, no more) for Driving While Intoxicated and Posession of Marijuana
and Cocaine in "small amounts" is allowed to play, but Steve Alford has to be
suspended for the Kentucky game for appearing in a calendar for a charity.

     **RULES ARE RULES**

     Michael Lewis @ Purdue University

leads3@burl.UUCP (leads3) (02/07/86)

> I'm from "Bobby Knight Land", and I'd like to say that Bob Knight has
> more *integrity* (which is what we're talking about) in his left big
> toe than Valvano will ever have.
ect.ect. Then says....

> Knight may smash a few offending chairs and punch a few rude Puerto
> Rican cops, but nobody plays ball at IU if they can't get a degree there.

ect.ect.

>      Michael Lewis @ Purdue University

Yeah lots of integrity. I guess those chairs should be less offensive
and Puerto Rican law officers less rude.

so long,
Dave

bch@mcnc.UUCP (02/07/86)

In article <1270@pucc-i> afb@pucc-i (Michael Lewis) writes:
>In article <1137@mcnc.mcnc.UUCP>, bch@mcnc.UUCP writes:
>
>      I'm from "Bobby Knight Land", and I'd like to say that Bob Knight has
>more *integrity* (which is what we're talking about) in his left big toe than
>Valvano will ever have.

No. We're not talking about integrity.  We're talking about concern for
players -- both yours and opposing.  While we're at it, what evidence do
you have which impunes Jim Valvano's integrity?

>By the way, I'm from Purdue, where the coach (Gene
>Keady) also doesn't cheat and also wins a lot of games.  I wonder what
>percentage of Valvano's players over the years have *gotten degrees*?

So.  I'm a rabid UNC fan.  Dean Smith doesn't cheat either (or do you
also have secret knowledge which impunes his integrity.)  Degrees are
an issue.  I don't expect that Valvano's percentages are as good as Knight's.
Nor are they as poor as Tarkanian's.

>Knight may smash a few offending chairs and punch a few rude Puerto Rican
>cops, but nobody plays ball at IU if they can't get a degree there.  The
>same holds true at Purdue.

Again, degree's are not what we're talking about.  Stick to the subject.

(For those who were offended, I meant to cast no aspersions on Coach Knight.
I hold him in very high regard as a coach and as a teacher.  I do mean to
cast aspersions on those people, whether Bobby Knight fans or not, who
insist on demeaning other coaches and teams without evidence for reasons
having nothing to do with basketball and who refuse to recognize any good
in any but their favorite coach and team.)