[net.sport.hoops] Danny

fredrickson@learn.DEC (02/04/86)

I hate to stir up a topic that has been peacefully dormant for some time
now, but I saw some statistics on Danny Ainge which might interest people.

He continues to lead all NBA starting guards with a .541 field-goal
percentage (through Feb. 3). This figure is particularly meaningful in
light of his shot range, which consists almost entirely of 18-20 footers.

His .904 free-throw percentage would be second in the league (to Bird's
.927) if he had enough to qualify for the list (he is 66 for 73).

Ainge's per-game averages look like this: 11.5 points, 5.6 assists, 1.5
steals and 3.3 rebounds. I do not have turnover statistics in front of me,
but as of a month or so ago, Ainge's assist-turnover ratio (a commonly
used statistic for point guards) was among the league's best. He takes
very good care of the ball.

I also don't have minutes, but my sense is that his minutes are down from
last year with the presence of Jerry Sichting (a .546 shooter, also mostly
bombs).

Dan Shaughnessy, the Boston Globe's outstanding Celts beat writer, recently
wrote that Ainge has reached the point where he would undoubtedly be a
20-ppg all-star on a lesser team.

From a team perspective, those who have followed the Celts-Lakers rivalry in
recent years know that Boston must have consistent outside shooting from the
guards to win. With Ainge, Sichting and Dennis Johnson's big-game tendencies,
they appear better equipped in this area than ever.

I am not calling Ainge an all-star, just a very solid player a lot of teams
would love to have. He has a tendency to heat up early in the game, quite
often while Bird, McHale and Parish are still trying to get the ol' engines
started. I can't count the number of times Ainge has 10 points in the first
quarter, all from outside, and Celts lead by two or three while Bird is 1 for
5 or something. It happens a lot.

I found it fascinating a few months ago when I first came out in support of
Ainge, to see how many people actually thought he bit Tree Rollins (it was
the opposite). He is an unusually disliked player, which I think comes from
his scrappiness and his cry-baby look. But Magic is a chronic complainer,
too. He just smiles more. I admit I'd probably dislike Ainge if I weren't
a Celtic fan.

I hope I haven't started this up again, but hell, what else is there to talk
about between now and May?

Mark Fredrickson

fredrickson@learn.DEC (02/05/86)

Thanks to alert reader Chris DeSisto, I must amend my posting on Danny
Ainge.

Ainge's .541 field-goal percentage is second among NBA starting guards, to
Magic Johnson's .545 (statistics through Monday Feb. 3). Derek Smith of the
Clippers is at .552, but has played in only 11 games. While Magic is by
far the superior player, it should be pointed out that his shot variety is
probably closer to that of a froncourt player than any NBA guard; i.e. lots
of fast-breaks, drives and post-ups. Ainge, as I said before, shoots almost
entirely from the outside.

Other guards with high shooting percentages: Alvin Robertson .534, Mo Cheeks
.530, and a pair of Bucks: Ricky Pierce .517, and Randy Hodges .526.

plw@panda.UUCP (Pete Williamson) (02/06/86)

>He continues to lead all NBA starting guards with a .541 field-goal
>percentage (through Feb. 3). This figure is particularly meaningful in
>light of his shot range, which consists almost entirely of 18-20 footers.
>
>His .904 free-throw percentage would be second in the league (to Bird's
>.927) if he had enough to qualify for the list (he is 66 for 73).
>
>Ainge's per-game averages look like this: 11.5 points, 5.6 assists, 1.5
>steals and 3.3 rebounds. I do not have turnover statistics in front of me,
>but as of a month or so ago, Ainge's assist-turnover ratio (a commonly
>used statistic for point guards) was among the league's best. He takes
>very good care of the ball.

I think Danny is very good guard .  You've highlighted his good stats, most
of them offensive, but I particularly like him for his defensive play.  He
is adept at team defense and doubling down on the Jabbars and the Malones.
Surprisingly, he'll come up with a few defensive rebounds now and then.

Don't get me wrong ... he's is certainly not a Maurice Cheeks or a Dennis
Johnson (my personal favorites in the East).  But like many of the Celtics,
he is that much better a player for belonging to the Celtics than he would
be on a lesser team.
--
						Pete Williamson
"By hook or by crook, we will !!" ... #2

tbridg@iuvax.UUCP (02/07/86)

Yes, Tree Rollins bit Ainge but, if you watched the tape Ainge was
trying to gouge Tree's eye out.  I am a Piston fan and would have to
put Ainge at the top of the NBA's list of crybabies along with Kelly
Tripuka.

sdp@chinet.UUCP (steve d. pruitt) (02/08/86)

>...pair of Bucks: R...and Randy Hodges .526.

That's Craig Hodges; I know because I played against him in
high school (I still can't believe he's in the bigs).

Wonder what Michael Jordan's fg pct would be at this point
if not for the broken ankle (probably about .650 :-) ).

I don't like the Celtics but they are a little more tolarable
now that ML (hackman)Carr has turned in the towel (literally!)
and to my suprise Walton seems to be doing fairly well and I am
(choke) impressed with the current 13 game win streak.
		. "Living forever isn't just a dream!"	.
		.					.
		.	     Steve Pruitt		.
		.	  !ihnp4!chinet!sdp		.

lin@cad.UUCP (Sheng Lin) (02/21/86)

In article <925@decwrl.DEC.COM>, fredrickson@learn.DEC writes:

> ......and a pair of Bucks: Ricky Pierce .517, and Randy Hodges .526.

Randy Hodges, RANDY Hodges?

		 Alex Lee