[net.sport.hoops] Joubert, Grant the BEST guard combo in the country?

afb@pucc-i (Michael Lewis) (02/21/86)

claiming that Antoine Joubert and Gary Grant are the best guard combo in the
country led me to thinking...will either of those two excellent guards even
make all-Big Ten?

     Obviously, the first team is occupied.  I don't think anyone would consider
keeping Scott Skiles (26 ppg) or Steve Alford (23 ppg) off of it.

     The second team guards are a little tougher to pick.  One of my picks is
Troy Lewis (19 ppg) from, you guessed it, Purdue.  The other guard could be one
of several good ones.  Dennis Hopson of Ohio State (20 ppg) is one.  Rick Olson
of Wisconsin (18 ppg ?) is another.  Joubert and Grant are also candidates.

     As good as Joubert and Grant are, I think my pick for best guard tandem in
the country is...Scott Skiles and whoever is playing with him (it doesn't
really matter who).  After hearing about MSU SWEEPING Michigan last night, who
else could it be.

     BTW, isn't the Big Ten funny?  I mean, INDIANA alone atop the conference
after 13 games?  Michigan State sweeping Michigan?  This is craziness!!  Sure
beats the predictability of the Big East or ACC.

     Here is my prediction for the final Big Ten Standings:

     TEAM            W   L

     Michigan        14  4
     Indiana         13  5
     Purdue          12  6
     Michigan St.    12  6
     Illinois        11  7
     Iowa            10  8
     Ohio St.        7   11
     Minnesota       6   12
     Wisconsin       2   16
     Northwestern    2   16

chen@gitpyr.UUCP (03/02/86)

In article <1304@pucc-i>, afb@pucc-i (Michael Lewis) writes:
>      BTW, isn't the Big Ten funny?  I mean, INDIANA alone atop the conference
> after 13 games?  Michigan State sweeping Michigan?  This is craziness!!  Sure
> beats the predictability of the Big East or ACC.

What ACC predictability???  The only thing predictable about the
ACC is that on any given day, any ACC team can beat any other ACC team.
Witness Maryland beating UNC for example who was ranked #1 at the time.
And Maryland isn't even .500 in ACC conference play.  Then, they almost
beat Georgia Tech.  (Tech has been ranked in the top 5 for the entire
season and ended up shooting 70% from the field to win that game.)

Whoops.  There's one more thing predictable about the ACC.  Dean Smith
*will* have UNC in the thick of things every year.  They may not win
(I hope not, at least), but they'll be right there.

(This is high praise coming from a Tech fan... but deserved.)

The ACC tournament should be interesting.  And unpredictable.
It's going to take some great play by the top seeds just to get
to where they're supposed to be.  I think 2 of the top 3 seeds
(UNC, Duke, and Tech -- order to be determined this weekend)
will make it to the final four.  I'll be really suprised if all
3 do.  I've got this bad feeling...

	Ray Chen
	gatech!gitpyr!chen