[net.sport.hoops] Celtics: 15 going on 16?

fredrickson@celica.DEC (02/18/86)

A mere three weeks after suffering through the Super Bowl, New
Englanders were treated to as delightful a Sunday afternoon as
the NBA schedule could possibly offer in February.

Although we must take great care not to overrate the importance
of regular-season games, the Celtics have undeniably reclaimed
whatever psychological edge the Lakers held after last year's
finals. The NBA's jinx on defending champions seems to have LA by
the throat.

Boston's 105-99 win in the Forum was accomplished without Kevin
McHale. Were it not for a sensational performance by James
Worthy, the game would have been a repeat of the Celts' blowout
earlier in Boston (when they led by 23 in the fourth quarter
before winning by 15). Worthy was LA's only second-half offense.
Like McHale, Worthy is the ultimate matchup nightmare -- the guy
the opposition can't figure out how to defend.

These two teams are so far above the rest of the league that only
major injuries will keep them from meeting in the finals for the
third year in a row. By major, I mean the only way the Lakers
won't reach the finals is without Jabbar (even then they might)
and the only way for the Celts to fail to get there would be
without Bird. Unless Houston, Denver (I don't care that they're
3-1 vs. LA), Philly or Milwaukee finds a way to improve itself
dramatically between now and the playoffs, I believe Boston and
LA could absorb the loss of any other single player.

A few choice morsels from Dan Shaughnessy's game story in
Monday's Boston Globe:

  Since Christmas, Boston is 20-2 and LA is 15-10.

  LA has not scored 100 points in either game against Boston;
  they have scored 100 or more in 46 of their other 50 games.
  They scored 12 fast-break points yesterday.

  Magic Johnson, who didn't have a single rebound in the earlier
  game in Boston, didn't have a field goal yesterday.

  Jabbar (two points in the fourth quarter) "again appeared very
  much intimidated by Mr. Bill Walton."

  Boston's bench outscored LA's bench in the two games, 62-53 --
  an unheard-of feat a year ago.

  Jabbar: "It was an important game for us to have won. If we
  had, we would have proved we were on a par with them. Now there
  is no reason for anyone to perceive us as a favorite."

  Magic: "Right now Boston is a much better team."

Having swept their two regular-season meetings, both rather
convincingly, I believe Boston has established several things:

1. They positively out-maneuvered LA in the offseason, adding
Bill Walton, Jerry Sichting and David Thirdkill while the Lakers
added Maurice Lucas (Sam Vincent and A.C. Green are
inconsequential right now). Lucas' absence on Sunday (6 minutes)
was a mystery. Walton makes an immense difference in this
rivalry, if for no other reason than forcing the aging Jabbar to
contend with a fresh, all-star-caliber center for four quarters.

2. With the above moves, Boston appears to have eliminated their
biggest weakness -- the bench.

3. As was pointed out numerous times by the CBS announcers, the
old tried-and-true way to beat the Celts -- sagging down and
giving the outside shot -- is history. Even with Danny Ainge in a
miserable shooting slump (which, if it continues much longer,
will bring Sichting into the starting lineup), the Celts possess
a variety of long-range weapons: Bird, DJ, Scott Wedman, Sichting
and even Rick Carlisle Sunday. If that shooting causes teams to
come out play some honest defense, McHale, Parish and Walton will
have a field day with man-to-man coverage inside.

4. They will have the home-court advantage, but with the 2-3-2
format it's questionable who really has the advantage. You
absolutely HAVE to win those first two at home. As we saw last
year, when the Celts could only split at home, it's almost
impossible to expect a team to win two out of three on the other
coast.

It is, of course, too soon to project what will happen in May and
June. When I look down LA's roster I still get frightened by the
talent -- guys like Cooper, McGee, Scott, Kupchak, Lucas. It
seems like two or three of them are always in the dog house or in
a slump or something. Byron Scott was awful Sunday. I thought
last year he was a future superstar, and now he's not even
starting. Everyone agrees they need muscle, yet Riley always goes
back to his greyhounds when the game's on the line.

This is an unfair time to analyze the Lakers, though. They are in
the midst of the midseason doldrums which plague everyone,
especially teams that don't have pennant races to worry about. I
have little doubt they will be in far better shape when it
counts.

Still, the midseason assessment yields this: If the finals were
to begin tomorrow, Boston would win it in five, perhaps even
four, games.

Mark Fredrickson

plw@panda.UUCP (Pete Williamson) (02/20/86)

>giving the outside shot -- is history. Even with Danny Ainge in a
>miserable shooting slump (which, if it continues much longer,
>will bring Sichting into the starting lineup), the Celts possess

Danny's defense is far superior to Jerry's.  I'd be real surprised to
see Danny lose his starting job (unless he gets injured.)

I do agree that the Celtics thus far look better against LA then they
have for years.  But the playoffs are a different season altogether.

Thus far, the Celts (especially Larry and Wild Bill) really look hungry.
Dancing Barry's Team, on the other hand, look bored. If that keeps up,
it will be over very quickly.  Worthy is obviously one helluva great
offense ballplayer.  He'll get his 30+ points.  Magic, of course, is not
a winner.  He's a choker.  But it really all boils down to the GREAT ONE.
If Kareem really wants another ring, it will go seven games.

And PLEASE DON'T DISMISS THE SIXERS.  Boston has to beat them to advance.
LA on the other hand is a shoe in again this year.
--
						Pete Williamson
"By hook or by crook, we will !!" ... #2

wjm@teddy.UUCP (02/21/86)

In article <1423@panda.UUCP> plw@panda.UUCP (Pete Williamson) writes:
>Thus far, the Celts (especially Larry and Wild Bill) really look hungry.
>Dancing Barry's Team, on the other hand, look bored. If that keeps up,
>it will be over very quickly.  Worthy is obviously one helluva great
>offense ballplayer.  He'll get his 30+ points.  Magic, of course, is not
>a winner.  He's a choker.  But it really all boils down to the GREAT ONE.
>If Kareem really wants another ring, it will go seven games.

Remember the Lakers before Magic (when they had Kareem), they were a good
team that did not get to the finals.  Since he joined the team the Lakers
have missed 1 championship final (I may be wrong here but that is my memory).
Worthy is a great player in the Laker system, but I do not think he has the
same impact of Magic.

>And PLEASE DON'T DISMISS THE SIXERS.  Boston has to beat them to advance.
>LA on the other hand is a shoe in again this year.

And PLEASE DON'T DISMISS THE NUGGETS, last year the Lakers beat both the
Nuggets and the Celtics 4-2 in their last two series.  (The Celtics beat
the Sixers 4-1 before losing to the Lakers.)

Being in Boston it's hard to follow the Lakers and impossible to know what's
going on with the rest of the Western teams.  My impression is that Magic is
hurting and the rest of the team is getting bored.  Can anyone closer to LA
give me a summary of what's been happening.

						bill masek

charlie@nbires.UUCP (Charles Carrington) (02/22/86)

In article <1423@panda.UUCP> plw@panda.UUCP (Pete Williamson) writes:

>And PLEASE DON'T DISMISS THE SIXERS.  Boston has to beat them to advance.
>LA on the other hand is a shoe in again this year.
>--
>						Pete Williamson
>"By hook or by crook, we will !!" ... #2

ARRGH!  Have you forgotten about the Bucks?  Have you forgotten about the
entire Midwest Division?  Have you forgotten that there are any other
teams in the league besides the Holy Trinity?

Look, I don't deny that the Lakers and Celtics are odds-on favorites to
reach the finals, or that they are the best two teams in the league at this
point.  Regular readers of this newsgroup are reminded of this
daily, to the point of nausea.  But to suggest that either of them is
a "shoe in" (sic) is unjustified.  There are excellent teams in both
conferences that are capable of pulling off the upset.

Frankly, it seems to me that the Bucks, not the Sixers, will present the
stoutest challenge to the Celtics.  In the West, the Lakers will be pushed
hard by the Rockets and the Nuggets.  They will not yawn past either team.

Here's to rooting for ANYBODY besides the Celtics and Lakers to make
the finals.  Any Rockets fans out there?  Bucks fans?  Anybody?  Please
speak up.  We are drowning in green smugness here.

PS.  A great game at McNichols last night.  Very exciting.  Nuggets 102,
Celtics 100.  The Celtics are undeniably a very fine team.  They were tired
and injured and still took the Nuggets to the limit.  It was the second year
in a row that the Nuggets have beaten an injured Celtics team here.  Larry
Bird says he wants to try us out when they are healthy.  Well, it would
certainly be our pleasure to have them back.  Sometime in May...
--
Charles Carrington	charlie@nbires.UUCP	(303) 444-5710
NBI Inc,  Boulder CO

tonti@ptsfc.UUCP (Guy Tonti) (02/24/86)

> Being in Boston it's hard to follow the Lakers and impossible to know what's
> going on with the rest of the Western teams.  My impression is that Magic is
> hurting and the rest of the team is getting bored.  Can anyone closer to LA
> give me a summary of what's been happening.
>
> 						bill masek

Various ramblings include the following:

Bill, you're feelings are pretty close to the situation.  Magic is not
really 100%, and is not playing "happy."  What I mean is that the whole
team does not seem to being having fun like in previous years.

In part, I feel it is attributed to the Lakers losing Big Mac.
His calm attitude and off-the-bench quick points really gave the Lakers
a boost, usually at the end of both the 1st and 3rd quarters, and if
needed down the stretch.  He was the link that lessened the sagging on
Kareem, kept the guards in a little closer freeing up Byron Scott, and
he could occasionally hit the boards on offense (something Worthy seems
to disdain).

Also, Mack filled the role of the "older leader."  Kareem also seemed
distant from the rest of team (the father-type), while Mac seemed to
be the more accessible type for the younger players.  Maybe Lucas will
take up some of this slack eventually, but he hasn't yet.  From a
psychological viewpoint, Lucas is a fairly hyper-type of player,
and the Lakers need calming (Magic does not like to be shown up).

Anyway, they'll probably gel around playoff time, and get semi-lucky
again with other team misfortunes (the only time the have not played
a team with an injured star/player in the West finals in the last few
years was when they lost to the Moses Rockets, when admittedly they
were hurt).  Also, playing in the patsy Pacific Division, they finish
the season against comparitively weaker teams, which can do nothing
but build up the old momentum.

signed
An admitted Phoenix Suns fan
(I'm seeing a doctor for my condition)

akers@oliven.UUCP (Rob Akers) (02/28/86)

> > Being in Boston it's hard to follow the Lakers and impossible to know what's
> > going on with the rest of the Western teams.  My impression is that Magic is
> > hurting and the rest of the team is getting bored.  Can anyone closer to LA
> > give me a summary of what's been happening.
> >
> > 						bill masek
>
> Various ramblings include the following:
>
> Bill, you're feelings are pretty close to the situation.  Magic is not
> really 100%, and is not playing "happy."  What I mean is that the whole
> team does not seem to being having fun like in previous years.
>
> In part, I feel it is attributed to the Lakers losing Big Mac.
> His calm attitude and off-the-bench quick points really gave the Lakers
> a boost, usually at the end of both the 1st and 3rd quarters, and if
> needed down the stretch.  He was the link that lessened the sagging on
> Kareem, kept the guards in a little closer freeing up Byron Scott, and
> he could occasionally hit the boards on offense (something Worthy seems
> to disdain).
>
> signed
> An admitted Phoenix Suns fan
> (I'm seeing a doctor for my condition)

Are you talking about Bob "take 10 outside shots in the last three minutes
of the championship series and miss them all" Mc Adoo?  You can't be
serious! I saw him do this so many times that I began to wonder if he
was being paid by the Celtics.  The Lakers may be having problems lately,
but getting rid of Mc Adoo was the best move they have made in a long time.

signed
An admitted L.A. Lakers fan

afb@pucc-i (Michael Lewis) (03/03/86)

In article <520@oliven.UUCP>, akers@oliven.UUCP (Rob Akers) writes:

> Are you talking about Bob "take 10 outside shots in the last three minutes
> of the championship series and miss them all" Mc Adoo?  You can't be
> serious! I saw him do this so many times that I began to wonder if he
> was being paid by the Celtics.  The Lakers may be having problems lately,
> but getting rid of Mc Adoo was the best move they have made in a long time.
>

> signed
> An admitted L.A. Lakers fan

I agree!  McAdoo rarely failed to disappoint me in a playoff situation.  Maurice
Lucas is much more of what the Lakers needed...The Enforcer!  Someone else to
crash the boards like Rambis is what was needed...and that's what they got.

The reason Walton is turning out to be more important to the Celts is his
infectious enthusiasm and love for the game.  He really is a new man.  It warms
my heart to see him thus...even if he is a damn Celtic!

Oh if Bird were not a Celtic!

signed
an admitted Celtic hater
(going back to Russell, Heinsohn, etc.)