[net.sport.hoops] Green Smugness

tbg@apollo.uucp (Tom Gross) (02/25/86)

> PS.  A great game at McNichols last night.  Very exciting.  Nuggets 102,
> Celtics 100.  The Celtics are undeniably a very fine team.  They were tired
> and injured and still took the Nuggets to the limit.  It was the second year
> in a row that the Nuggets have beaten an injured Celtics team here.  Larry
> Bird says he wants to try us out when they are healthy.  Well, it would
> certainly be our pleasure to have them back.  Sometime in May...
> --
> Charles Carrington	charlie@nbires.UUCP	(303) 444-5710
> NBI Inc,  Boulder CO

    It's refreshing to see some reportage from somebody outside
    of New England!  I was especially curious to know how a
    Denver fan would view that game against the Celts.  I watched
    the game on TV here and throughout the game Bob Cousy kept
    commenting on what an incredibly horrible team the Nuggets
    have.  One of those games where he just couldn't understand
    how the Celtics could possibly lose.  Frankly except for
    a couple series in the 4th quarter the Nuggets looked to me
    to have one of the worst defenses I have EVER seen.  Looked
    like they were playing a zone without floor assignments:
    five guys standing around with their hands by their sides,
    watching the Celtics pass the ball around.  Cousy kept
    wondering how the Nuggets could possibly be (as good as)
    a 2nd place team.  The Celts played without Mchale and Walton
    (sprained ankle), featured 25 minutes from Greg Kite, and had
    Scot Wedman just back from a trip to his chiropracter in Kansas City.
    This was the Celtics' 4th game in 5 days and the end of a west coast
    road trip.  What I remember most about the game was the expression of
    JOY on the faces of the crowd at the end of the game, and
    I wondered: what on earth are these people excited about?

    I don't mean to sound green and smug at all.  I only WISH
    the league were more competitive.  I think what comes across
    as "green smugness" here on the net is just a reflection
    of the vacuum the Celts are playing in.  Aside from the
    Lakers and "key injuries" I don't think any Celtic fan
    really worries about anything stopping the Celtics.
    And it's unfortunate: while it's true the Celts with
    Bird and Walton et al are exciting, I miss the days
    of Havlicek and Silas and Cowens against Debuscherre
    and Frazier and Monroe in regular season, back-to-back
    home and away 2 game weekend series.  Not to mention
    playoffs against the Sixers in the mid-sixties, or even
    playoffs against the Sixers 4 and 5 years ago.

    To me,  when I hear people say "DON'T FORGET THE SIXERS!"
    or "DON'T FORGET THE BUCKS!"  they might as well be saying
    "DON'T FORGET THE PACERS! THEY BEAT THE CELTICS EARLIER
    IN THE YEAR AND NOW THEY HAVE CLARK KELLOGG BACK!", or
    some such nonsense.  In my opinion, nobody aside from the
    Lakers today matches up against the Celts as well as Buffalo
    did in the early '70's.  And how many people remember Garfield
    Heard?

    If only the Bucks could merge with the Knicks!  Or the
    Rockets with the Nuggets!  Then maybe we Celts fans
    wouldn't feel so green and SMUG!

    Tom Gross
    Apollo Computer, INC.
    Chelmsford, MA.

jwg@teddy.UUCP (02/26/86)

In article <2c2838d8.2a75@apollo.uucp> tbg@apollo.uucp (Tom Gross) writes:
>    ... throughout the game Bob Cousy kept
>    commenting on what an incredibly horrible team the Nuggets
>    have.  One of those games where he just couldn't understand
>    how the Celtics could possibly lose.

Have you ever noticed that whenever Cousy says the Celtics have the game
in the bag the other team immediately goes on a run?
Often he says they have 'control of the game' when they are losing!
He's an excellent analyst of strengths, weaknesses, matchups, etc,
but the most die hard Celtic optimist I have ever encountered.

>    ... the Nuggets looked to me
>    to have one of the worst defenses I have EVER seen.  Looked
>    like they were playing a zone without floor assignments:
>    five guys standing around with their hands by their sides,
>    watching the Celtics pass the ball around.

How come the Celtics scored only 100 points?
Thats one of their lowest scores this season.
Maybe McHale and Walton were out, but they have a few other
decent players too.

Go celtics.

--
	Jim Galbiati,  GenRad Inc,  Production Test Division
	Mail Stop 6, 300 Baker Ave, Concord, Mass.  01742

plw@panda.UUCP (Pete Williamson) (02/27/86)

>Have you ever noticed that whenever Cousy says the Celtics have the game
>in the bag the other team immediately goes on a run?
>Often he says they have 'control of the game' when they are losing!
>He's an excellent analyst of strengths, weaknesses, matchups, etc,
>but the most die hard Celtic optimist I have ever encountered.

The MOST die hard Celtic optimist I have ever encounter is JOHNNY MOST.

I really can't stand the TV commentators.  Celtics basketball is all the
more enjoyable with "the voice of the Boston Celtics", but
only if you like the GREEN.

--
						Pete Williamson
"By hook or by crook, we will !!" ... #2

lor@ucla-cs.UUCP (03/01/86)

In article <2c2838d8.2a75@apollo.uucp> tbg@apollo.uucp (Tom Gross) writes:
>    To me,  when I hear people say "DON'T FORGET THE SIXERS!"
>    or "DON'T FORGET THE BUCKS!"  they might as well be saying
>    "DON'T FORGET THE PACERS! THEY BEAT THE CELTICS EARLIER
>    IN THE YEAR AND NOW THEY HAVE CLARK KELLOGG BACK!", or
>    some such nonsense.  In my opinion, nobody aside from the
>    Lakers today matches up against the Celts as well as Buffalo
>    did in the early '70's.  And how many people remember Garfield
>    Heard?

	Finally, a Celtic fan admitted it. The Sixers and the Bucks
do not really give the Celts a fight in the Eastern Conference.
Does it mean the Celts have an easy path to the finals?
or in other words, they play in an easy conference?

	To me, it is just nonsense to say the Lakers have an
easier route to the finals. The Nuggets and Rockets give
as much problems to the Lakers as the Sixers and Bucks
give to the Celts (though it's not that much). Remember,
we are not talking about the 76ers of 1983 (one of the
greatest team ever.) Malone has already lost his fire.
--
					Eddy Lor
					...!(ihnp4,ucbvax)!ucla-cs!lor

djvh@drutx.UUCP (VanHandelDJ) (03/06/86)

>                        The Celts played without Mchale and Walton
>     (sprained ankle), featured 25 minutes from Greg Kite, and had
>     Scot Wedman just back from a trip to his chiropracter in Kansas City.
>     This was the Celtics' 4th game in 5 days and the end of a west coast
>     road trip.  What I remember most about the game was the expression of
>     JOY on the faces of the crowd at the end of the game, and
>     I wondered: what on earth are these people excited about?
>
>     I don't mean to sound green and smug at all.  I only WISH
>     the league were more competitive.  I think what comes across
>     as "green smugness" here on the net is just a reflection
>     of the vacuum the Celts are playing in.  Aside from the
>     Lakers and "key injuries" I don't think any Celtic fan
>     really worries about anything stopping the Celtics.
>     And it's unfortunate: while it's true the Celts with
>     Bird and Walton et al are exciting, I miss the days
>     of Havlicek and Silas and Cowens against Debuscherre
>     and Frazier and Monroe in regular season, back-to-back
>     home and away 2 game weekend series.  Not to mention
>     playoffs against the Sixers in the mid-sixties, or even
>     playoffs against the Sixers 4 and 5 years ago.
>
>     To me,  when I hear people say "DON'T FORGET THE SIXERS!"
>     or "DON'T FORGET THE BUCKS!"  they might as well be saying
>     "DON'T FORGET THE PACERS! THEY BEAT THE CELTICS EARLIER
>     IN THE YEAR AND NOW THEY HAVE CLARK KELLOGG BACK!", or
>     some such nonsense.  In my opinion, nobody aside from the
>     Lakers today matches up against the Celts as well as Buffalo
>     did in the early '70's.  And how many people remember Garfield
>     Heard?
>
>     If only the Bucks could merge with the Knicks!  Or the
>     Rockets with the Nuggets!  Then maybe we Celts fans
>     wouldn't feel so green and SMUG!
>

>     Tom Gross
>     Apollo Computer, INC.
>     Chelmsford, MA.