[net.sport.hoops] Dis n' dat

michaelf@ism780 (02/26/86)

		I'll get the Bird accolades out of the way and then
       we'll talk. Larry got his 5th trip-dub in eight games. Last night
       against the Knicks, he got 24 pts., 18 boards and 13 assists.
       WHAT NUMBERS! On we go to the college scene.

		I feel Duke has the best shot at the NCAA crown this year.
       Good big men and Johnny Dawkins is a tough combo.

       North Carolina seems to me to be too slow in the forecourt.
       Dougherty, Martin, Popson and Wolf are too deliberate in their
       moves and a team with a couple of quick big men will give them
       fits. One bright feather in their cap is they are perhaps the
       best team in the country at moving the ball around. Walker, Lebo
       and Hale are very sound fundamentally.

	       I don't feel Georgia Tech has as good of shot this
       year as they had last year. Sorry Y'Jacketeers.

		Memphis State is just too out of control for my liking.
       They have some of the best talent and almost all their players
       come from high schools in Memphis but they don't seem too smart.
       I'm not sure how well they'd hold up in a tie game with a few minutes
       to go against a team like Notre Dame, for example.

	       As much as I love Syracuse, they just seem too shaky
       in the big games. Rony Seikaly's hands seem to deteriorate each game.
       Pearl heard the whispers early in the season that he needed to
       fill it up more instead of just dishing off so he's been posting
       big numbers as of late. I think he's averaged about 25 pts. for the
       last eight games or so. But, when the Orangemen are on, no one is better.
       Next year they will be even better. Coach Jim Boeheim pulled
       the recruiting coup of the century a few weeks ago. He signed
       3 or 4 of the most sought after high schoolers in the
       country for next year, including a 6' 9" forward from Detroit who
       is touted as God-like. Boeheim must have been handing out car keys
       during recruiting.

	       Teams you should not count out:

	       St. John's
	       UNLV
	       Georgetown
	       Notre Dame
	       Purdue

          Getting back to the NBA, regarding the draft, it is
     impossible to tell who will be picked because nobody knows
     who is going to pick. It depends on who needs what. For
     example, if a team like Houston picks, they probably
     wouldn't pick a big man. Then again, maybe if they wanted a
     proven NBA guard, i.e., Sidney Moncreif, they would draft
     someone the Bucks would want so they could use their draft
     as a bargaining chip. A good big man is worth two good small
     men in most coaches eyes.

	   Probable first round picks:

	      William Bedford (Memphis State)
	      Reggie Williams (G'town)
	      Brad Dougherty  (NC)
	      Johnny Dawkins  (Duke)
	      Len Bias        (Maryland)
	      Walter Berry    (St. John's)
	      Kenny Walker    (Kentucky)

      Tonight is a biggie, #6 Syracuse at #9 St. John's in Madison
      Square Garden, I believe.

gkchappe@uokvax.UUCP (03/03/86)

    A pretty good list of 1st rounders.  However, Walter Berry just
announced yesterday that he will stay at St. Johns next year so he's
out of the running.

    Some more probable 1st rounders:

	Kenny Smith  UNC
	Nate McMillan NC State
	Danny Manning Kansas (he just may hardship)
	Anthony Bowie  Oklahoma
	Ron Kellogg   Kansas (Best shooter in the country)

    Both Bowie and McMillan are regarded as Pressey/Mike Cooper types
by the scouts which makes them quite valuable to any team.

    As far as Milwaukee giving up Moncrief for ANYBODY, this will only
happen if Ted Septien buys the Bucks and performs another total team
destruction like he did at Cleveland.  Another interesting item for
draft watchers to look at is that Boston has Seattle's 1st pick, and
Seattle looks like a sure bet to make the lottery.  It could become
dynasty time for the Celts if they can pick up a Bias or Walker.

			Geoff Chappell
			Univ. of Okla.

long@csvax.UUCP (03/03/86)

>/* Written  4:45 pm  Mar  2, 1986 by gkchappe@uokvax.UUCP in csvax.UUCP:net.sport.hoops */
>    Some more probable 1st rounders:
>
>	Kenny Smith  UNC
>	Nate McMillan NC State
>	Danny Manning Kansas (he just may hardship)
>	Anthony Bowie  Oklahoma
>	Ron Kellogg   Kansas (Best shooter in the country)

>			Geoff Chappell
>			Univ. of Okla.

	I'll agree with you on Kellogg, but for Manning (declaring hardship,
	no way).

	Danny's father, Ed Manning, is the assistant coach and a good friend
	of Larry Brown.  The entire Manning family lives here in Lawrence, and
	they enjoy the togetherness.

	From the information we get here in Lawrence, Danny
	will be around one, and maybe two more years.  I think the talk of
	him going 'hardship' was made at about the same time as the rumor
	that Larry Brown was going to New York to coach the Niks.

	A noteable that is missing from your list is Greg Dreiling.  He is
	a physical 7 footer that could do well in this years draft.

	Well, enough of my biased views.  (Go Jayhawks).

					Dave Long
					University of Kansas
					Computer Science Dept.

			CSNET: long@ukans
			UUCP: ...ihnp4!uokstate!uokvax!csvax!long

ccalille@ihlpf.UUCP (Calille) (03/04/86)

>     Some more probable 1st rounders:
>
> 	Kenny Smith  UNC
> 	Nate McMillan NC State
> 	Danny Manning Kansas (he just may hardship)
> 	Anthony Bowie  Oklahoma
> 	Ron Kellogg   Kansas (Best shooter in the country)
>
>     Both Bowie and McMillan are regarded as Pressey/Mike Cooper types
> by the scouts which makes them quite valuable to any team.

Your list is accurate but I believe you have left out the two players who
will be drafted in the top five of the draft.  Those players are ROY TARPLEY
from Michigan and JOHN SALLEY from Georgia Tech.  Even though their stats may
not be too impressive, they are usually double or triple teamed which makes
the other players open for a shot.  This is why Michigan and Georgia Tech
are doing so well.  If Roy was not double teamed or if a team could not play
zone, he would score around 28.0 points a game and about 12.0 rebounds a
game.

Also, the refs stink in the Big Ten.  They call picky fouls on the big men
inside which gives them less freedom.  Just watch a Big Ten game this week
and you will see what I mean (i.e. the Michigan vs. Indiana game this
Saturday on national TV).  One ref even admitted on TV, that he gave a
foul to the wrong person when he went up to the scorers table.  He gave a
foul to number 42, Roy Tarpley instead of number 40, Richard Rellford.
Thats how bad the refs are in this conference.  The Big Ten definitely needs
to review their officiating during the off season and get new officials
to replace the old ones (i.e. get rid of Jim Bains, Ed Hightower,
London Bradley, Phil Bova etc.).

brawn@mcnc.UUCP (03/06/86)

>    Some more probable 1st rounders:
>
>	Kenny Smith  UNC
>	Nate McMillan NC State
>	Danny Manning Kansas (he just may hardship)
>	Anthony Bowie  Oklahoma
>	Ron Kellogg   Kansas (Best shooter in the country)
>
>			Geoff Chappell
>			Univ. of Okla.

Kenny Smith is a junior and no doubt will go first round in a year.
If Danny Manning goes hardship it wouldn't be very smart.  He is good
but he can get much better, and therefore go much higher in the draft.

smithrd@gc49.UUCP (Randy D. Smith) (03/06/86)

In article <12500001@csvax.UUCP> long@csvax.UUCP writes:
>	Danny's father, Ed Manning, is the assistant coach and a good friend
>	of Larry Brown.  The entire Manning family lives here in Lawrence, and
>	they enjoy the togetherness.

Larry Brown "steals" away such a prize as Manning, and you people
don't even have the decency to be embarrassed about the matter.
Wait til North Carolina gets the extradition papers signed, and
Brown gets hauled back here to face up to the charges.  We'll show
him. What I don't understand is how he managed to show up for the
UNC-Dook game, and the local constables didn't even try to hold him!!
I bet the Puerto Rican police would never allow Bobby Knight to get
away if he ever went back!!  (Those Dookies must have used some pull
to get the cops to protect Brown, just to rub it in.)

And Brown even had the nerve to play the Dean-worshiping alumni-player!!

Oh, yes, I almost forgot.... :-) :-)

Sorry about the foolishness; I guess I'm just feeling a bit giddy about
the news that the "real" J. R. has decided to transplant himself to the
Southern Part of Heaven (Chapel Hill, to you heathen).  How sweet it is!!
--
				Randy D. Smith	(919) 279-5312
			AT&T Technologies, Guilford Center, NC