[net.sport.hoops] Predictabilty of the ACC?

leads3@burl.UUCP (leads3) (02/24/86)

> Sure beats the predictability of the Big East or ACC.
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^                    ^^^
Whoa now! You care to predict who is going to win the ACC regular
season or tournament? I'm all ears or is it eyes.

Face the facts. Some of the best games played this year have
been between ACC teams. Just like last years best games were
played between Big East teams. Maybe next year the Big Ten
will measure up. :-)

so long,
Dave

afb@pucc-i (Michael Lewis) (02/25/86)

In article <1051@burl.UUCP>, leads3@burl.UUCP (leads3) writes:
> > Sure beats the predictability of the Big East or ACC.
>                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^                    ^^^
> Whoa now! You care to predict who is going to win the ACC regular
> season or tournament? I'm all ears or is it eyes.
>
> Face the facts. Some of the best games played this year have
> been between ACC teams. Just like last years best games were
> played between Big East teams. Maybe next year the Big Ten
> will measure up. :-)
>
> so long,
> Dave

     Purdue was *predicted* by just about everyone for a lower division finish
in the Big Ten this year.  They are a half-game out of first now.  Illinois
was supposed to challenge Michigan for the title.  They are in fifth place.
Michigan State, without a decent inside player to their name, was supposed to
be 7th or 8th; they are a game out of first at 4th place.  Michigan was
supposed to dominate; they have lost 4 games, including one at Minnesota!
Indiana was picked as high as 4th or 5th in the pre-season, they are tied for
the conference lead.

    This is unpredictability and spontaneousness.

    In the ACC, on the other hand, UNC, Georgia Tech, and Duke were supposed
to be the top three teams.  They are the top three teams.  Georgia Tech has
lost to noone else but Duke and UNC.  Duke has lost to UNC and (I think)
Georgia Tech, or to UNC twice.

    There are few upsets.  Up until this last week, noone but these three teams
had beaten these three teams.  This is predictability.

    Did you happen to catch either of the Michigan-Illinois games?  How about
the Indiana-Purdue overtime game in Bloomington?  Or the Purdue-Iowa game in
January, when Purdue came back from a 6 point deficit with 50 seconds to go.
Or either of the Indiana-Illinois games.  The list goes on.

    The reason that you think that only the ACC has played and "good games"
this year is because you haven't seen (m)any Big Ten Games.  ESPN has yet
to realize that there are other conferences in the country besides the ACC and
Big East.

marc@bmcg.UUCP (Marc Lee) (02/26/86)

To add fuel to the fire of which conference is best:

Anyone see the Bobby Knight interview on Good Morning America recently?
He said that the ACC is without a doubt the strongest conference this
year, with the Big East next.  He had the Big 10 tied for 3rd; unfortu-
nately, I can't remember with whom, but it wasn't the Big 8.  Maybe the
SEC?

                                          Marc Lee
                                          Burroughs Corp
                                          San Diego

chen@gitpyr.UUCP (Ray Chen) (03/05/86)

In article <1308@pucc-i>, afb@pucc-i (Michael Lewis) writes:
> In article <1051@burl.UUCP>, leads3@burl.UUCP (leads3) writes:
>     In the ACC, on the other hand, UNC, Georgia Tech, and Duke were supposed
> to be the top three teams.  They are the top three teams.  Georgia Tech has
> lost to noone else but Duke and UNC.  Duke has lost to UNC and (I think)
> Georgia Tech, or to UNC twice.
>
>    There are few upsets.  Up until this last week, noone but these three teams
> had beaten these three teams.  This is predictability.

You're telling me that a conference is predictable (and hence, boring)
because the predicted 3 best teams (out of 8) seem to actually be
the 3 best teams.

I'd buy this argument if the number was 1.  Or even 2.  But 3???
I don't know about anyone else, but I got a kick out of watching at
least 2 ACC games that matched up the then #1 and #2 ranked teams
in the country (UNC vs. Ga Tech and UNC vs. Duke).

I wonder how much ACC b-ball you've watched.  The scores may indicate
a 10 point spread between winner and loser, but 10 points is nothing
in the ACC.  A lot of ACC games have been closer than the scores would
indicate.

I don't mean to say that the ACC is the center of the basketball
universe.  It isn't, but it's fun to watch.

Now if the ACC is so predictable, do you want to tell us who'll
take the tournament??  And try to limit yourself to less than
3 teams...

	Ray Chen
	gatech!gitpyr!chen

win@gatech.CSNET (Win Strickland, Jr.) (03/05/86)

In article <1308@pucc-i> afb@pucc-i (Michael Lewis) writes:
(commenting on predictability of the ACC)
>    In the ACC, on the other hand, UNC, Georgia Tech, and Duke were supposed
>to be the top three teams.  They are the top three teams.  Georgia Tech has
>lost to noone else but Duke and UNC.  Duke has lost to UNC and (I think)
>Georgia Tech, or to UNC twice.
>
>    There are few upsets.  Up until this last week, noone but these three teams
>had beaten these three teams.  This is predictability.
                                        ----------------------

This is nonsense!  Georgia Tech lost its second game of the year against
Michigan.  UNC has lost to Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina State, and
finally Duke.  Most of these were "before this last week".

Perhaps you should check your facts, it would help your case to be
accurate.

As another poster has mentioned, having three of the best teams in the
country end up tops in their conference can hardly be used as a
knock again the ACC.

We'll all just have to wait for a couple of weekends to see what really
happens in the NCAA's.
--
Win Strickland Jr
School of Information & Computer Science, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332

afb@pucc-i (Michael Lewis) (03/06/86)

In article <1497@gitpyr.UUCP>, chen@gitpyr.UUCP writes:

> You're telling me that a conference is predictable (and hence, boring)
> because the predicted 3 best teams (out of 8) seem to actually be
> the 3 best teams.

     Yes, because (up until quite recently) none of the other teams seemed to
be up to beating any of these three teams.  None of the other teams have
managed to beat Duke or Ga. Tech yet.  One little irresistable dig, though,
since you're from Ga. Tech...how 'bout them Illini?  It warmed my heart to
the cockles to listen to Billy PACCer during the Tech vs. Illinois game....

     But seriously, here's what I mean.  Duke beats UNC at home, loses at
Chapel Hill.  Ga. Tech beats Duke at home, loses at Durham.  UNC beats Ga.
Tech at home, should've lost at Atlanta, but Tech chokes and UNC breaks the
home-team stranglehold.

     In contrast, Big Ten teams are actually known to lose at home (even
big, bad Michigan).  Illinois is *tied for fifth* in the Big Ten, but
manages to beat mighty ACC foe Ga. Tech on the road.

> I wonder how much ACC b-ball you've watched.  The scores may indicate
> a 10 point spread between winner and loser, but 10 points is nothing
> in the ACC.  A lot of ACC games have been closer than the scores would
> indicate.

     Because of ESPN's blanket coverage of the Big East and ACC, I've had the
pleasure of taking in such epic matchups as Wake Forest vs. Duke, Seton Hall
vs. St. Johns, and Pittsburgh vs. Providence.  When there's a game on, I
watch it.  The answer to your question is...lots!!

> Now if the ACC is so predictable, do you want to tell us who'll
> take the tournament??  And try to limit yourself to less than
> 3 teams...
>
> 	Ray Chen
> 	gatech!gitpyr!chen

     At last, an easy one...that depends on where it is being played this year.
If I recall correctly, the home team has one that tournament for at least the
last 3 years...Ga. Tech, Maryland, and NC State.  I suspect that it will be
held in Chapel Hill, what with the new arena and all...therefore, my pick is
North Carolina.  Wait, I feel confident on this one...that's my pick wherever
it's being played.

     Answer me this perplexing question...what does the regular season mean if
your conference has a tournament as well?  Do they actually play 14 games just
to decide what the seedings are in the tournament?

     Michael Lewis @ Purdue University

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (03/10/86)

>> Now if the ACC is so predictable, do you want to tell us who'll
>> take the tournament??  And try to limit yourself to less than
>> 3 teams...
>>
>> 	Ray Chen
>> 	gatech!gitpyr!chen
>
>     At last, an easy one...that depends on where it is being played this year.
>If I recall correctly, the home team has one that tournament for at least the
>last 3 years...Ga. Tech, Maryland, and NC State.  I suspect that it will be
>held in Chapel Hill, what with the new arena and all...therefore, my pick is
>North Carolina.  Wait, I feel confident on this one...that's my pick wherever
>it's being played.

Yes, it is a very predicatble conference, as seen here.

(Funny thing is, the team picked to finish third in the ACC actually
won both the regular season and the tournament.  Wasn't Michigan the
pre-season pick for Big Ten champion?)
--
James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

"But Doctor, we're on that island!"
"Oh my word!"			who said them, what story?

slb@uvacs.UUCP (sandy) (03/11/86)

In article <1344@pucc-i> afb@pucc-i (Michael Lewis) writes:
>In article <1497@gitpyr.UUCP>, chen@gitpyr.UUCP writes:
>> Now if the ACC is so predictable, do you want to tell us who'll
>> take the tournament??

>     At last, an easy one...that depends on where it is being played this year.
>If I recall correctly, the home team has one that tournament for at least the
>last 3 years...Ga. Tech, Maryland, and NC State.  I suspect that it will be
>held in Chapel Hill, what with the new arena and all...therefore, my pick is
>North Carolina.  Wait, I feel confident on this one...that's my pick wherever
>it's being played.

1986 ACC Tour.
		Duke beats Wake
r1:     UVA beats NC St.
	    Ga. Tech beats Clemson
		Maryland (6th in reg. season) beats UNC

r2:     Duke squeaks by UVA (4th or 5th in reg season)
	    Ga. Tech beats Maryland on last min. shot

champ.  Duke beats Ga. Tech

Oh well, Michael, you win some, you lose some.

slb@uvacs

chen@gitpyr.UUCP (Ray Chen) (03/13/86)

In article <1344@pucc-i>, afb@pucc-i (Michael Lewis) writes:
> In article <1497@gitpyr.UUCP>, chen@gitpyr.UUCP writes:
> > take the tournament??  And try to limit yourself to less than
> > 3 teams...
> >
> > 	Ray Chen
> > 	gatech!gitpyr!chen
>
> held in Chapel Hill, what with the new arena and all...therefore, my pick is
> North Carolina.  Wait, I feel confident on this one...that's my pick wherever
> it's being played.

Maryland knocked out North Carolina in the first round -- as in blew
them out the arena.  True, Carolina lost some people who were injured, but
the way UNC just fell apart towards the end and the MD was playing, I think
MD would have taken them anyway.  They almost beat Tech: the game went down
to the last second -- literally.

NC State (which I believe had the home field advantage) got knocked out by
a then lower-ranked Virginia in the first round.

Virginia came *this* close to beating Duke (and was ahead most of the
game).

And Duke beat Tech by 1 point in a final that was so even it was insane.
One of those games where you hate to see either team lose.

The ACC is predictable, huh?  I rest my case.

>      Answer me this perplexing question...what does the regular season mean if
> your conference has a tournament as well?  Do they actually play 14 games just
> to decide what the seedings are in the tournament?
>
>      Michael Lewis @ Purdue University

Good question.  Tune up, I guess.  (And let us not forget TV money.
That was why Tech had to play 3 tough games in about 4 days -- one
of them totally meaningless as far as Tech was concerned -- against
Illinois.)  What happens in the Big East, SEC, etc. that also have
end-season tournaments?  Who gets the automatic bid to the NCAA?

	Ray Chen
	gatech!gitpyr!chen