[fa.laser-lovers] a problem with gating to usenet

reid@Glacier@uw-beaver (reid@Glacier) (12/02/83)

From: Brian Reid <reid@Glacier>
One problem with gating laser-lovers to usenet is that many usenet
people do not know the correct procedure for posting a note to the
list. Here, for example, is a message that was just inserted into the
usenet stream instead of being sent to laser-lovers. Rick, could you
insert here an appropriate statement as to the uucp address of
laser-lovers?

[Certainly.  First as background, laser-lovers is going to the Usenet
as what is known as a "fa" newsgroup.  This is supposed to mean that
people cannot post to it at their local sites but must, instead mail
the message to a central mailbox for redistribution.  However, the
latest version of the news software doesn't seem to check this as
strongly as it should.  In any case, if you are on the usenet and
reading this, do *not* just post to this group.  *Mail* your
contributions to uw-beaver!laser-lovers.  You can get to uw-beaver
from decvax, ihnp4, and via ucbvax!lbl-csam.  And on a related matter,
the addresses you have on the Usenet (with all the "!" and what nots
are meaningless to many of the net readers.  If you have a CSNet
address, please make sure to include it.		--Rick
Now, here's the message that went to the wrong place so the rest of
the list gets a chance to see it: ]

From: wm@tekchips.UUCP (Wm Leler)
Newsgroups: fa.laser-lovers
Subject: fonts for ditroff
Date: Tue, 22-Nov-83 16:03:04 PST

This may sound more like a software question, but I think it is of
interest to people with laser printers (like us, with a Symbolics).

Is there a good standard for bit-mapped font files?  I've seen umteen
different formats:  Berkeley vfont, PRESS format, TEX pixel format, and
so on.  We are leaning toward standardizing on the TEX pixel format,
but we still have some questions.

Is there any standard definition of where different characters go?  We
have a bunch of pixel format fonts where the greek characters are
stored in the italic font.  Also, special characters seem to be
scattered all over the place.  Most are in the special font, but some
others have different versions in each varient font (roman, bold or
italic), while a few are found only in the roman font.  And this seems
to change from font to font.  How in the world am I to write a program
that knows where to find a character if it is currently in Memphis
Medium Bold Italic, and that font file doesn't contain some character.

Is there some published specification for this?  Otherwise, the pixel
format seems to be well documented (in Knuth's typical style).  Where
can we find more information and/or discussion on this?

We are also looking for font files, if anyone has some that are
available, that we can use.  Free, expensive, whatever -- we're
interested.

			Wm Leler
			wm.Tektronix@Rand-relay
			{ucbvax|allegra|decvax}!tektronix!wm