Date: 4 Dec 83 10:54:21 PST (Sunday)
From: Wiseman.pa@PARC-MAXC.ARPA
Subject: Re: new device
To: Rich $alz <DCB.TECH%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA>
cc: Brian Reid <reid@SU-GLACIER.ARPA>, laser-lovers@WASHINGTON.ARPA
ReSent-date: Sun 4 Dec 83 16:37:56-PST
ReSent-from: Richard Furuta <Furuta@WASHINGTON.ARPA>
ReSent-to: "Laser Lovers": ;

Agfa has demoed the P400 being driven by a Lisa at the Hannover Faire,
however, the system required a VAX mini inbetween.  Compugraphic (which
is owned by Agfa) is already marketing the Personal Composition System
with Lisa directy driving an 8400 CRT-based phototypsetter.  But the
only images that can be produced on Lisa can be output (2 pgs/min).
Therefore none of CG's fonts are available.

The company has told analysts that it will implement all the functions
of its MCS-10 composition system on LISA by 1H/84. The new software
would maintain the Lisa interface and "what you see is what you get" The
P400 printer will probably be available by then.

Right now the CG/LISA package is pretty limited.  Since LISA is  running
flat out now on the 68000, they may have trouble driving the P400
without more hardware (i.e. the microVAX chip set recently announced).

The company/product combination clearly has potential, but I think the
deliverables will be weak through 84.

Appreciate anything more you may hear about the products

Ben Wiseman
Xerox OSD
415-494-4759

Wiseman.pa@PARC-MAXC.ARPA@uw-beaver (12/05/83)

Date: Mon, 5-Dec-83 12:14:09 EST
Sender: root@uw-beave

 individually Pushed segments because normal TCP stream transmission
 timed out.  This probably indicates a problem with the receiving TCP
 or SMTP server.  See your site's software support if you have any questions.
Date: 4 Dec 83 10:54:21 PST (Sunday)
From: Wiseman.pa@PARC-MAXC.ARPA
To: Rich $alz <DCB.TECH%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA>

laser-lovers@uw-beaver.UUCP (01/27/84)

From WMartin@SIMTEL20.ARPA Fri Jan 27 12:33:47 1984
Date: Fri 27 Jan 84 13:15:41-MST
From: William G. Martin <WMartin@SIMTEL20.ARPA>
Subject: Cheap laser printer reported
To: Laser-Lovers@WASHINGTON.ARPA
cc: WMartin@SIMTEL20.ARPA
ReSent-date: Fri 27 Jan 84 12:26:21-PST
ReSent-from: Richard Furuta <Furuta@WASHINGTON.ARPA>
ReSent-to: "Laser Lovers": ;

The enclosed showed up on Info-Micro, so I thought I'd forward them on
to Laser-Lovers for your info.

                ---------------

   1) 23-Jan hplabs!hao!seismo!ut Laser Printer for
   2) 24-Jan hplabs!sdcrdcf!darre Re: Laser Printer for 695 dollars

Message 1 -- ************************
Date: 20 Jan 84 19:44:44-PST (Fri)
To: info-micro@brl
From: hplabs!hao!seismo!ut-sally!cyb-eng!shell!starr@ucb-vax
Subject: Laser Printer for

     Normally  I  skip	over articles about laser printers, since they
     cost an arm and a leg. But this one caught my eye. Reprinted from
     1/12/84 issue of Electronics Magazine:

	  The LBP-CX, a desktop laser printer, uses cartridges to hold
	  its  dry  single-component   electrophotographic-development
	  system.  The	cartridges are easily removed so that the unit
	  can print in black, blue or  brown.  Up  to  8  letter-sized
	  pages  per minute can be printed; paper is supplied manually
	  or automatically from a cassette.

	  The electrophotographic  images  may	be  transferred  to  a
	  variety    of    stocks,   including	 colored   paper   and
	  transparencies. Two preset resolution  levels  are  offered-
	  240 and 300 dots/in.

	  With an appropriate image processor, the printer can produce
	  a number of styles, forms, and scientific symbols as well as
	  graphics.  To  be available in the second quarter, the laser
	  printer will sell for  about	$695,  comparable  to  better-
	  quality daisy wheel printers.

	  Canon  USA  Inc.,  One Cannon Plaza, Lake Success, NY 11042.
	  Phone (516)488-6700.

     $695?? That's what it said. A laser printer that costs  the  same
     as an Epson FX-80? Wow!

     This  was in the "New Products" section, and that means info came
     from the manufacturer. I have visions of the "up  to  8  pages  a
     minute"  translating  into "2 or 3 pages at best". If anyone sees
     any real output of this device, or can  vouch  for  the  manufac-
     turers  speed  claims,  I'm sure others would be interested. This
     sounds like a bargain, and if it is true, I will hold onto my NEC
     printer a little longer.

     RF Starr

Message 2 -- ************************
Date: 22 Jan 84 8:17:22-PST (Sun)
To: info-micro@brl
From: hplabs!sdcrdcf!darrelj@ucb-vax
Subject: Re: Laser Printer for 695 dollars

Note that a raster-style printer of this resolution and speed uses about
700k to 1 megabits per second, plus one ten point font requires about 10 or
15 kilobytes for the font template.  Preformatting an entire page in memory
as a bitmap requires almost a megabyte of scratch space (needed only if
document hasn't been presorted in page order, a daisy-wheel simulator could
reasonably be limited to a 32Kbyte buffer to hold subscript/superscript
excursions.

--
Darrel J. Van Buer, PhD
System Development Corp.

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (laser-lovers) (02/06/84)

From obrien@Rand-Unix Sun Feb  5 19:37:01 1984
Date: Sunday,  5 Feb 1984 14:53-PST
To: Doug Kingston <dpk@BRL-VGR>
Cc: Christopher A Kent <cak@PURDUE>, laser-lovers@WASHINGTON
Subject: Re:  Re:  IBM 6670p?
From: obrien@Rand-Unix (Michael_OBrien)
ReSent-date: Sun 5 Feb 84 19:27:48-PST
ReSent-from: Richard Furuta <Furuta@WASHINGTON.ARPA>
ReSent-to: "Laser Lovers": ;

	On the other hand, let us note that we got in a 2700 to see if we
could possibly flush our 6670 (we hate it too) and found that the 2700 was
just so egregiously slow that we couldn't live with it.  We bought another
6670.  *sigh*