[fa.laser-lovers] Controlling a QMS

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (laser-lovers) (07/23/84)

From: Charles Hedrick <HEDRICK@RUTGERS.ARPA>
Does anyone have a good way of organizing a spooler for a QMS 1200?
We don't want to reload fonts for each printout, since many of
our printouts will use the same set.  However if someone powers
the printer down, it will (I assume) lose its fonts.  I don't see
any obvious way to know when this happens.
-------

mac@tesla.UUCP (Michael Mc Namara) (07/26/84)

    QMS provides a command, called qstate, which is the remembered state
of your laserprinter.  Here (In /usr/spool/qpd/state) it records each
font as it down loads it.

    qcat checks qstate to see if the desired font has been downloaded or
not, and will define a previously undefined font if need be.

    If you turn off your laser printer, you lose.

    Checking for ^Q's every ten seconds or so seems to be a cpu intensive
way of insuring the printer is on.  Why not just educate your users not
to turn the switch off?   Put a piece of tape on the switch, if need be.
Put the laser printer in a locked room.

    I speak of the latest release of qtroff, dated May 14, 1984.

laser-lovers@uw-beaver.UUCP (07/27/84)

From: Bob Brown <rlb@RIACS.ARPA>
The business with the QMS is messier than all that.  We have two
programs that use the state file - qcat and a ditroff driver.  No
matter how careful we are about managing the state file and the
printer, we still get occasional fubarlike output.  Our procedure to
clean up after errors is to (a) stop the queue, (b) kill the filter,
(c) power down and up the printer (using the trick so that it skips the
multiminute L1 wait), and (d) run reset-laser-printer which contains
	/usr/local/lib/qcat -p >/dev/laser
	/usr/local/lib/qcat -s >/dev/laser
This usually does the trick, but since we use the 4.2BSD spooler,
killing the filter or daemon isn't always so easy.

QMS has told us that status queries will exist in a future release of
their QUIC system, but if you use a parallel line, there's no return
path.

Bob Brown
RIACS/NASA Ames

----------

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (laser-lovers) (08/01/84)

From: allegra!cmcl2!rna!dan (Dan Ts'o)
Hi,
	We are also looking into the problem of receiving status information
from the QMS 1200 but don't have as yet a satisfactory solution. Please let
us know of any you find.
	Currently, our qtroff command assumes it needs to load all fonts. The
user can supply an option which directs qtroff to use the host-maintained
font state.
	I put a scope on the QMS and found that it spits out an XON (^Q) every
10 seconds. This "feature" might be used to detect if the QMS was ever powered
down or if the QMS is powered down, first being important for the font info and
the second for the printer spooler to determine whether the printer is up at
all. This was, of course, only the RS232 interface.
	Lets push QMS to providing better status information from the printer.

					Cheers,
					Dan Ts'o
					Dept. Neurobiology
					Rockefeller Univ.