[fa.laser-lovers] HP LaserJet discussion

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (laser-lovers) (10/04/84)

From: furuta@uw-june.arpa (Richard Furuta)
Recently, I've begun to see a certain amount of discussion of the HP LaserJet
printer on other lists.  This one comes from Usenet's net.text

					--Rick

From kentm@byucsa.UUCP (Montgomery Kent Melvin) Sat Feb  5 22:28:16 206
From: kentm@byucsa.UUCP (Montgomery Kent Melvin)
Newsgroups: net.text,net.periphs,net.micro.hp
Subject: HP LaserJet Answers (& remailing request)
Date: Thu, 13-Sep-84 13:20:22 PDT

    On Friday, Sept. 13 I posted an article titled "HP LaserJet Inquiries".
Thanks to those who responded.  Unfortunately though, problems with
disk failures here erased two days worth of unread mail.  The mail
replies I did receive were:

	  From beesvax!utah-cs!seismo!umcp-cs!mark
	  From beesvax!utah-cs!seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!lwt1
	  From beesvax!allegra!harpo!hp-pcd!hpcvln!tw
	  From beesvax!utah-cs!seismo!mcvax!vu44!tjalk!keie
	  From utah-cs!harpo!whuxb!ihnp4!gargoyle!toby

    If any others sent me mail, please remail to me.  The systems
programmers here assure me that the disk problems are fixed.

    The following are from the replies I have received to date:

------------------------------

-------------------------------

---------------------

>>     Finally, is anyone aware of any weaknesses or limitations of the
>>  LaserJet printer that the manual or promotional material does not reveal?

>  1) The 100 sheet paper tray will really take only 100 sheets (there just
>  	is no more room).
>  2) The output tray will properly stack only about 50 sheets.
>  3) You must reset the default vertical spacing (among other things) (via
>	escape sequences) if you want 66 printed lines per page.
>  4) The LaserJet does not expand tabs (they are ignored).
>  The paper feed is ONE U-turn.  This means that you put the paper upside down
>	in the tray (ok, big deal), AND that when a mulit-page job comes
>	out it is stacked in reverse order:

    We have gone ahead and ordered the LaserJet.  We will be writing a
driver for either troff or ditroff that mixes HP text with vtroff text
from the host VAX.  This driver will probably access a user-created
file that maps the troff output characters to either HP font characters
or UNIX vtroff font characters.  Typical lines in this file might be:

    map font=R,size=10,chars=[A-Z,0-9,a-z]  to  HP,size=9,style=bold,\
			orientation=portrait,...
    map font=S,size=8,chars=[^A,^D,\] to VTROFF,file=/usr/lib/vfont/S.12,\
			hp_resolution=300,...

    If anyone is interested in such a program (available in 3-4 weeks),
let me know and I will mail it (or post to net.sources if sufficient
interest).  If you would like to participate in the design, let me know.

    Thanks,

    Kent M. Montgomery        ...|harpo \
    Computer Science Dept.                 |utah-cs|beesvax|byucsa|kentm
    Brigham Young University  ...|seismo /
    (UPI #6, AP #8)