[fa.laser-lovers] Using Laser Printer as a Copier?

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (laser-lovers) (10/11/84)

From: allegra!emory!km@uw-beaver.arpa (Ken Mandelberg)
Are their any modern laser printers that can also be used
as an office copier?

I know the IBM 6670 can be used for both, but the 6670 is really
not competitive with the newer machines in several ways.

Ken Mandelberg
Emory University
Dept of Math and CS
Atlanta, Ga 30322

{akgua,sb1,gatech}!emory!km   USENET
km@emory                      CSNET
km.emory@csnet-relay          ARPANET

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (laser-lovers) (10/15/84)

From: ihnp4!tosca@uw-beaver.arpa (M. Cole)
Ken,
	The Xerox 5700, designed to compete with the IBM 6670,
can also be used as a copier.  Though it has more features than
the 6670, i've heard that it has a number of problems of its
own, and i don't see Xerox pushing it very hard.

	lyn cole (ihnp4!tosca)
	AT&T Bell Laboratories, Naperville, IL

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (laser-lovers) (10/16/84)

From: Brian Reid <reid@Glacier>
A combination laser printer and copier is a lot like a combination
automobile and speedboat--it will likely require too many engineering
compromises. My friends who understand the black magic of xerographic
reproduction tell me that when you tune a reprographic device for
optimum performance in laser imaging, it is substantially sub-optimal
for copying, and vice versa.

Also, I am told, the better-quality laser printers use a write-black
technology, while copiers must use (by definition) a write-white
technology.

Now what I really want is a laser printer with enough oomph to be a
printing press, something like the fabled Xerox Dover.

laser-lovers@uw-beaver.UUCP (10/17/84)

From: ihnp4!wlcrjs!marc@uw-beaver.arpa
>Are their any modern laser printers that can also be used
>as an office copier?

I think I recently read somewhere (perhaps in Byte or Computer & Electronics)
that Matsushita is introducing a combination laser printer/copier.
			Marc Lavine
uucp:	...ihnp4!wlcrjs!marc
MCI Mail:  MLavine  (174-4419)

laser-lovers@uw-beaver.UUCP (10/20/84)

From: hnij@BNL
The Royal 2800 is advertised as having an attachment that can make
it act like a copier.  I don't know if it actually exists (the
attachment, that is), or if it's still in design.

We just got a 2800 on Tuesday, and it's working really well.  It's
a 240dpi, 20ppm printer.  We're trying to get a bulk feeder and RAM
cartridge for it, but they haven't arrived.  The only problem is
that it only has about 20 available fonts, and all of them are
12pt or so.  Sorta limited.

		@ hnij @		John Labovitz <hnij@bnl.arpa>