[fa.laser-lovers] [chris@maryland

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (laser-lovers) (10/30/84)

From: Richard Furuta <Furuta@WASHINGTON.ARPA>
   1) 29-Oct chris@maryland (Chri Imagen 8/300 bug?
   2) 29-Oct chris@maryland (Chri Sigh... (more on 8/300 bug)
   3) 29-Oct chris@maryland (Chri Aha! (final words on 8/300 bug)

Message 1 -- ************************
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 84 15:37:21 est
From: chris@maryland (Chris Torek)
To: laser-lovers@washington
Subject: Imagen 8/300 bug?

I have discovered what appears to be a bug in the 8/300's impress
language driver.  I have various files that consistently crash the
machine in one way or another.  The same file, reorganized slightly,
works.  I think the key is that the files that break the Imagen have
lots of glyph definitions interspersed with the text of a page; I
suspect that there is a bug in the memory allocator.

The moral of the story is:  if you write a program to talk to the
Imagen, try to download fonts outside of pages; it seems to work
better.

(``I have no doubts that we shall hear from Imagen momentarily'', he
said dryly.  ---Seriously, Imagen has been very good about fixing
things [not that we've had much that needed fixing], but this note
may save someone else hours of hair-pulling.)

Chris

Message 2 -- ************************
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 84 17:02:50 est
From: chris@maryland (Chris Torek)
To: laser-lovers@washington
Subject: Sigh... (more on 8/300 bug)

another nice theory shot to h*ll: to test my "glyph allocation" 8/300
bug hypothesis, I changed the code to download glyphs before starting
each page, and it didn't fix things.  Oh well, back to the drawing
board.  (I guess others get to tear their hair out too.)

Chris

Message 3 -- ************************
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 84 20:40:42 est
From: chris@maryland (Chris Torek)
To: laser-lovers@washington
Subject: Aha! (final words on 8/300 bug)

Well, it turns out it's not much of a bug.  If you define a glyph with
a size of zero, it does various random nasty things to the Imagen.  That
was the whole problem.

Now if I can only get this hair back onto my head....

Chris
-------