[fa.laser-lovers] Question about QMS Print Quality

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (laser-lovers) (10/31/84)

From: Mark Johnson <MHJohnson@HI-MULTICS.ARPA>
  We have been having a problem reproducing the output of our QMS 1200
laser printer output.  The repro people use a Kodak 150 copier & find
that the text rubs off onto the glass of the copier.  The original looks
ok, but the next N copies have smudges on them.  The smudges come in
nice regular patterns & appear to me to be related to some feet that
hold the page feeder up from the glass.

  Is there something that we can do to the QMS so the print won't rub
off so easily?  I am looking for some adjustment like changing paper,
having the CE fix the QMS, or holding the paper overnite before sending
it to repro.  If not, I'll ask repro to get a different copier (ha ha).

  --Mark Johnson @ HI-MULTICS

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (laser-lovers) (10/31/84)

From: William LeFebvre <phil@rice.ARPA>
The QMS has the same print engine as the 2700, of which we have one,
so...

The XP-12 engine uses a xerographic process.  The last step of the
printing process fuses the toner to the paper with heat and pressure.
If the print smudges after it comes out of the printer, then there is
something wrong with the print engine (probably the fuser).  Beyond
that, the only thing that will get the print to smear is excessive
heat.  If the plate of the copier gets hot enough to melt the toner and
cause it to smear, then suggesting a new copier is not that far fetched
of an idea.  I have found that running the output from an XP-12 thru a
thermofax (which makes an overhead slide) causes the original to blur.
Its not so much of a smear, tho.  I can't think of anything else that
would cause such a problem.  I suppose that the toner will fuse to some
types of paper better than others.  If you are not using the type of
paper that Xerox or QMS recommends, you might try that once to see what
happens.  Holding the paper overnight shouldn't have any effect.  It
usually cools within minutes.

                                William LeFebvre
				Department of Computer Science
				Rice University
                                <phil@Rice.arpa>

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (laser-lovers) (11/02/84)

From: Crean.HENR@XEROX.ARPA
Mark,

The Xerox 2700 uses a radiant fuser (no pressure).  Various failure
modes can produce partiallly fused toner particles on the copy or reduce
their adhesion to the paper.  Correct machine setup, appropriate paper
and toner are all necessary to get durable print output.

Pete Crean - Xerox Rochester

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (laser-lovers) (11/03/84)

From: ihnp4!t4test!chip@uw-beaver.arpa (Chip Rosenthal)
>From: Mark Johnson <MHJohnson@HI-MULTICS.ARPA>
>  We have been having a problem reproducing the output of our QMS 1200
>laser printer output.  The repro people use a Kodak 150 copier & find
>that the text rubs off onto the glass of the copier.

This is definately a problem with the QMS printer.  We had that problem
once, but much worse.  I ran off a table for somebody and by the end
of the day (just due to normal handling) the page was totally blank.

We had the machine serviced, and the problem disappeared.  Exactly
what caused it, I'm not sure.

--

Chip Rosenthal, Intel/Santa Clara
{cbosgd,idi,intelca,icalqa,kremvax,qubix,ucscc} ! {t4test,t12tst} ! {chip,news}

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (laser-lovers) (11/03/84)

From: cornell!vax135!edison!uvacs!sdc@uw-beaver.arpa
When I worked at General Electric company, we had a QMS lasergraphics
1200 and a Kodak Copier.  We had the same problem with the output from
the laser printer smudging onto the Kodak glass.  As it turned out,
the problem was with the Kodak.

When the Kodak makes a copy it produces a blindingly bright flash of light.
It turns out that the heat  from the flash is enough to soften the toner
used in the Xerox 2700 process.  The Kodak's hopper feed mechanism is
stiff enough to press the originals onto the glass quite hard, and thus
some of the toner rubs off the original onto the glass.

We talked to Kodak, and they sent a field engineer in with some retrofit
parts.  Afterward, the problem went away.  The Kodak people were quite
friendly about the whole thing, and I imagine they will treat you the same.

Scott D. Carson
University of Virginia
sdc@virginia (csnet)
{edison,ncsu,allegra,mcnc}!sdc

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (laser-lovers) (11/05/84)

From: boyle@ANL-MCS.ARPA
Years ago, I had to copy onto 20# bond paper using a Xerox copier (some
silly requirement for dissertations).  In order to keep the copies from
smearing, it was necessary to set the fuser temperature higher (for the
thicker paper).  Perhaps such an adjustment would help your situation,
if it exists on the QMS.  Without the fuser adjustment, most of the
toner dusted off the finished copies.

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (laser-lovers) (11/05/84)

From: <Bertoni.wbst@XEROX.ARPA>
The 2700 is a radiant fuser, if the glass filter covering the fuser lamp
is covered with toner or paper tars it will block the radiant energy
form the lamp and its reflector. This will also cause the reflector to
rise in temp. because of the additional heat it is absorbing. Paper is
uncontrolled through this fuser and will lift touching the glass or the
reflector this will cause remelting of the toner and smearing. Message
is to clean all internal reflecting surfaces and the glass filter to
improve copy quality.

Fred Bertoni - Xerox Rochester