[fa.laser-lovers] dangerous lie in LaserJet service manual

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (12/09/84)

From: ihnp4!utzoo!henry@uw-beaver.arpa

>From section 3-3 of the service manual for the HP LaserJet:

	Ozone Filter

	One of the by-products of a corona discharge is the generation
	of ozone.  Ozone is a harmless form of oxygen which sometimes
	generates a pungent odor.  To remove the ozone generated by the
	corona assemblies the printer uses a charcoal absorbtion filter
	[located in the printer proper, not in the cartridge].

"Harmless"?!??!?  Somebody's been sniffing too much ozone!  Ozone is
**NOT** harmless; it is poisonous.  I find it a bit unsettling that the
ozone filter in the LaserJet (and hence in the Canon engine in general?)
is not mentioned anywhere as something that should be replaced from time
to time.  Does anybody know how long such a thing would last before being
in need of replacement?

				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (12/10/84)

From: decvax!esquire!newman@uw-beaver.arpa

	You mention the HP LaserJet SERVICE MANUAL.  Is this
different from the Owner'sManual that you get with the machine?
If so, where can I get a copy?
				Thanks,
				Edmund Newman

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (12/13/84)

From: ihnp4!utzoo!henry@uw-beaver.arpa

> 	You mention the HP LaserJet SERVICE MANUAL.  Is this
> different from the Owner'sManual that you get with the machine?
> If so, where can I get a copy?

Yes, it's quite different.  The service manual is a two-inch binder
with all (well, not all, but some) of the nitty-gritty information
on how the LaserJet works and how to take it apart.  Your HP rep
should be willing to sell you one; be warned that it's expensive.

				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology