[fa.laser-lovers] PostScript printers vs. ImPress printers

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (01/26/85)

From: Mabry Tyson <Tyson@SRI-AI.ARPA>

Thanks for the good description of the differences between PostScript and
Impress.  I have a question though.  A significant portion of our printing is
bitmap dumps of 1Kx1K screens.  Since you say that the Impress description
is characters, how much bigger would the description of the screen be (assuming
it is fairly dense in turned on bits).

The other question would be in how flexible is the description language.  If
I have a complicated display (not generated by some simple plotting commands),
would the only reasonable way to send it to a PostScript printer be the
equivalent of sending a bitmap?
-------

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (01/26/85)

From: Mike Caplinger <mike@rice.ARPA>

Perhaps I am confused, but Brian seems to be saying that PostScipt uses
a size-independent outline description for a character in a particular
font, and can arbitrarily rotate it before conversion to a bitmap.

I was under the impression that there was no such size-independent
representation.  Isn't that what the whole hoopla over bit-tuning is
all about?  Certainly MetaFont is incapable of producing a uniformly
great font at 300 dpi resolution, 10 point.  We have used both a Xerox
2700 and an Imagen 8/300, both 300 dpi, but the character of one-pixel
line drawing on the two engines is so different that CMR fonts that
look great on the Imagen were awful on the 2700.

Or is the outline description some incredibly sophisticated
representation that takes all into account?

	- Mike

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (01/26/85)

From: Robert Morris <ram%vax2.uucp%umass-boston.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>

I read Brian's thoughtful and clear comparison after
sending my mail about font quality and matching problems. His
explanations call for no enhancement, but his conscience attack
is contagious. I neglected to mention that I have a commercial
association with Interleaf, Inc. which is both a buyer and seller
of printing systems, including from Imagen. We are regularly evaluating
printing systems from many vendors. I believe companies like Interleaf
will be induced by the marketplace to support some or all standard
page description languages.
Personally I hope the forces tend toward PDL's as competent as
PostScript and Impress. Among those I see people potentially
demanding as well,
Interpress comes to mind if only it
had more graphics in it. Many people seem to want variants
of some of the standard graphics metafiles like VDM. The next year
or two will prove tumultuous and interesting I think.
bob morris
umass-boston dept of math and cs
and
Interleaf,Inc.

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (01/26/85)

From: Brian Reid <reid@Glacier>

    Perhaps I am confused, but Brian seems to be saying that
    PostScipt uses a size-independent outline description for a
    character in a particular font, and can arbitrarily rotate it
    before conversion to a bitmap.
Nope, that is what I am saying. You are not confused.

    I was under the impression that there was no such
    size-independent representation.  Isn't that what the whole
    hoopla over bit-tuning is all about?  Certainly MetaFont is
    incapable of producing a uniformly great font at 300 dpi
    resolution, 10 point.

It may or may not be impossible, but the PostScript printers do it and
do it well. If you want to see an example, look at the recent POPL
conference publicity. The flyer announcing the conference announcement
was set with Scribe on an Apple LaserWriter in 8-point Times Roman
using a font described with ordinary outlines. One of the recent issues
of CACM (I think it was the November issue) had a 2-page advertisement
for the POPL conference somewhere towards the back. That advertisement
was also set on an Apple LaserWriter in PostScript. It isn't quite so
remarkable because it uses 10-point letters and does not use any
rotated fonts or graphics, but it is an example of the PostScript
raster conversion. Remember that it has been through a printing press.

I have carefully avoided learning anything about how the internals of
the PostScript font mechanism work, because I often have difficulty
keeping my mouth shut and I don't want to give away any Adobe secrets.
But you may rest assured that an ENORMOUS amount of software cleverness
and expertise in the nature of laser printers has gone into the
PostScript system. I think that I will have to doublecheck back with
the folks at Adobe to find out what I am allowed to say and what I am
not allowed to say before I give you any more information about the
font representation, but please understand, for the moment, that the
fonts are indeed represented as size-independent outlines and that they
can be artitrarily scaled and rotated before being scan-converted and
that the scan-conversion works just fine in point sizes down to 4 on a
300dpi printer.

Brian

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (01/26/85)

From: Clive Dawson <CC.Clive@UTEXAS-20.ARPA>

Brian--
  One of the things you mentioned in your message was that Impress
has the ability to deallocate memory for no-longer-needed fonts.
This works quite well on the old Imprint-10 printer, but has apparently
been disabled on the new 8/300's.  The result is that glyphs will
continue to be down-line loaded to the printer until it runs out
of memory.  After that, you lose;  any new glyphs that must
be sent will simply show up as small boxed question-marks (i.e.
undefined glyphs).
  The story I got from Imagen on this is that the 8/300 is actually
running two processes-- one which receives the data from the host
and stores the glyphs and does some of the page setup, and another
which sends the pages off to the print engine.  If you watch
the 8/300's terminal output, you will note that that the first
process can actually be several pages ahead of the second process.
In any case, deleting glyphs turned out to be too hard because
there was apparently no way to know whether the printing process
was really finished with a glyph or not.
  Our users have quickly learned that long documents which use
a variety of different characters in non-standard fonts, even if
few and far between, have a high probability of eventually losing.
The solution is to split up the document and print the pieces in
several different jobs.  One reason we may notice this more than
others is that we ordered our 8/300 with a serial interface which
comes standard with 512K bytes of memory.  If you order an
Ethernet interface, enough extra memory comes with the printer
that running out of glyph space is apparently much less common.
We will probably be ordering more memory for our printer anyway,
which will not only help this problem but also allow us to
print full bit-mapped screen images from our Symbolics 3600
Lisp Machines.  At the moment the printer won't even hold half
the image before running out of room.

Cheers,

Clive

-------

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (01/30/85)

From: ihnp4!utzoo!henry@uw-beaver.arpa

> It may or may not be impossible, but the PostScript printers do it and
> do it well...
>
> ...fonts are indeed represented as size-independent outlines and... they
> can be artitrarily scaled and rotated before being scan-converted and
> ... the scan-conversion works just fine in point sizes down to 4 on a
> 300dpi printer.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."  The more experienced typesetting
people at the Typesetting BOF at Usenix Dallas said that the scan conversion
does *not* work "just fine", and that the loss in quality (compared to
fonts with separate masters for each size and orientation) *is* visible
in output from the Apple printer.  Quite probably it's still impressive
(I haven't seen it yet), but Adobe not has found a magic way around the
problems of size-independent description.

				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (01/31/85)

From: Bruce Nemnich <godot!bruce@cca-unix>

At the Usenix typesetting BOF, I was one who was pretty skeptical about
scaling fonts from one master description over such a wide size range at
this resolution, but I hadn't seen the output yet.  I spent some time at
the Sun booth the next morning, and I came away very impressed.

They evidently have some very good algorithms for generating well-tuned
fonts at medium/low resolution; I found it hard to believe they were
generated without hand tuning (especially at < 6pt!).  I have always
been a big believer in disproportionate scaling of stroke thickness and
glyph width, especially at medium-to-low resolution since some engines
do a lousy job with fine strokes and it is *so* difficult to generate
optically correct lowres rasters, but the quality of Adobe's fonts does
not degrade nearly as much as I expected at small point sizes.  I have
done some low-resolution work with the old metafont, and it is difficult
to get reasonable results without hand tuning.  I am happy to hear they
are sensitive to the differences among engines and tune their algorithms
to each.

Halftones are another difficult problem with which they seem to have
done quite well, though I didn't see too many examples.  I am probably
going to buy one of these things instead of the QMS 800 I planned to
get; it's so much more "the right thing" (cheaper, too!).

The word I got from QMS is that they have about a half-dozen beta sites
for the 1200A.  The 2400 will be the next to be converted; they haven't
committed to doing a version for the 800.

--Bruce Nemnich, Thinking Machines Corporation, Cambridge, MA
  ihnp4!godot!bruce, bjn@mit-mc.arpa ... soon to be bruce@tm.arpa