[fa.laser-lovers] Final words on Dover Speed

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (03/19/85)

From: Richard Furuta <Furuta@WASHINGTON.ARPA>

[[Editor's note:  A reader has commented that the discussion on the
Dover's speed is of interest to only a small subset of the list and
that the subject now has been covered adequately.  I agree, and will
hold future messages relating to this subject.

[[This is not meant to cut off discussion on the other issues raised
in the Dover-related messages, such as those discussing the history
related to the development.  I find the recent descriptions of the
history of the development of laser printers to be interesting and of
importance and will continue to forward those messages.		--Rick]]

Date: 19 Mar 85 10:58 PST
From: Orr.pa@xerox.arpa
Subject: Re: Dover speed
 15:27 PST (Monday)

That's not fair, Brian:  the fact that your machine is accessible to
people with stopwatches is utterly irrelevant to its characteristics as
a printer or its comparability to a LaserWriter.  The comments I have
seen from others at Xerox are not stating that our Dovers are faster but
that the Dover's speed advantage shows in printing multiple copies of a
document.  Your administration chooses to deny you that, producing a
situation in which you most probably will be far better served by
multiple LaserWriters, but this is a policy decision which has little to
do with the relative potentials of the different machines.  A Dover's
best use is not the same as a LaserWriter, but if you don't use it that
way, most of its advantage will, indeed, disappear.

~Julian~

Date: 19 Mar 1985 1209-PST (Tuesday)
From: Brian Reid <reid@su-glacier.arpa>

I am mostly replying to DonWinter.ES, who claimed that "Stanford must
be running an older version of the Dover system" since he had "never
noticed that kind of delays." I believe that I have said enough
positive things about the Dover that nobody, not even a Xerox employee,
could accuse me of an anti-Xerox bias with respect to the Dover. I just
wanted to make sure people knew that the Dover I was talking about and
the Dover that DonWinter.ES was talking about were in fact the same
machine.
-------