[fa.laser-lovers] "public domain" fonts ... However ...

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (04/09/85)

From: William LeFebvre <phil@rice.ARPA>

> As was made clear in the old *Find-a-Font* catelog [sic], none of
> those fonts can reasonably be regarded as being in the public domain.
> While most of them are not beautiful, they are nearly all stolen.

However...
To my, admittedly, untrained eye, it looks like the Berkeley default
troff fonts, R, I, B, and parts of S, are raster copies of parts of
the Hershey repertory.  Perhaps they are second, third, etc.
generations, but it does look like the original source was the Hershey
repertory.  Would that make them public domain?

However...
If they are taken from the Hershey repertory, they are bad renderings
of a mediocre font.  One would do better to re-rasterize them
himself/herself.

Speaking of which:  I have a program that generates fonts from the
Hershey repertory (or any file with the same format).  I originally
wrote it to generate a specific format font file for local hackery, but
I can easily rewrite the relevant portions to generate vfont files if
there is enough interest.  It uses a symmetric DDA to draw the lines,
and pen shapes and sizes are specifiable at run time.  Send mail to me
directly if you are interested.  Be forewarned:  it may take me awhile
to get it to the point where I would feel comfortable about giving it
to people ... like, a few weeks.

                                William LeFebvre
				Department of Computer Science
				Rice University
                                <phil@Rice.arpa>

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (04/13/85)

From: ihnp4!utzoo!henry@uw-beaver.arpa

> However...
> To my, admittedly, untrained eye, it looks like the Berkeley default
> troff fonts, R, I, B, and parts of S, are raster copies of parts of
> the Hershey repertory.  Perhaps they are second, third, etc.
> generations, but it does look like the original source was the Hershey
> repertory.  Would that make them public domain?

The Berkeley default troff fonts, at least the 200/inch instantiations,
are bit-tuned versions of the Hershey fonts.  The Hershey->raster
conversion was originally done by Bill Reeves at U of Toronto (whence
the "Berkeley" typesetting-on-Versatec software came), and bit-tuning
occurred both at U of T (early on) and UCB (later).  How "public domain"
the result is, is a good question.  Both U of T and UCB impose limits
on redistribution of distributed software and databases.  (As to how
the U of T stuff made it into x.yBSD without U of T permission:  it went
by an indirect route and the ownership notices got lost along the way.)
It depends on whether the bit-tuning is major enough to constitute a
claim of ownership.

Actually, I doubt that either university cares very much.

> If they are taken from the Hershey repertory, they are bad renderings
> of a mediocre font.  One would do better to re-rasterize them
> himself/herself.

The Hershey fonts aren't terrific, since they were never meant for
raster use at all.  And Bill's rasterizing code was pretty straightforward,
as I recall, and could probably be improved by suitable injections of
subtlety.  But it was all we had...

				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology