[fa.laser-lovers] Adobe and the PostScript Manual

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (04/13/85)

From: mtu!karl@Glacier (Karl Ottenstein)

>We just received our package from Adobe for our binary license to their
>TranScript package to support the Apple LaserWriter (and other PostScript
>printers) under 4.2BSD.  Everything about the package was slick, except:
>enclosed was an order form for the PostScript Language Manual requiring
>a $30 check (no purchase orders).
>
>I found this sort of irritating considering both (a) that the cost of the
>manual is low enough that they could have included it and (b) putting through
>the paperwork for a purchase order is enough of a pain that I would have
>liked to have known to include the manual in the original order rather than
>being required to send through another one.  [The Adobe order form lists
>only three items, all software license options.]
>
>I've let Adobe know my concerns, but thought some of you might be preparing
>orders and would want to know to include the manual as an extra item.

Since I mailed the above to laser-lovers yesterday, I have heard back from
Liz Bond, Adobe's Director of Marketing Communications and Typographic Sales.
I am of course pleased with the resolution of my problem.  Moreover, I am
pleased beyond words with a vendor that has its key employees on the net
so that I can easily get in tough with them and get rapid responses.  Adobe,
from the attached letter and the tone of their documentation, indeed seems
concerned about their users.  And ain't that the way it should be?

  From: glacier!adobe!bond (Liz Bond)
  Date:  9 Apr 1985 1844-PST (Tuesday)
  To: glacier!mtu!karl (Karl Ottenstein)
  Subject: Re: TranScript/PostScript

  Karl, thank you for taking the time to let me know you received the
  TranScript package. Your points about the Language Manual were well
  put. We have actively announced the availability of the Language Manual
  in Press Releases and numerous magazines and articles. As you point
  out, not everyone would have necessarily seen these notices. I can also
  appreciate the time and effort it can take to get paper work through an
  organization.
    I have asked Megan Furner to ship you a Manual by return mail, compliments
  of Adobe Systems. We are also updating our order form to reflect the offering.
    Again, we are most interested in your input and comments. Let us know
  what "beautiful pages" you'll soon be printing with PostScript and
  TranScript. Stay in touch.
  --Liz

		Karl Ottenstein
		Michigan Technological University