[fa.laser-lovers] Spacing and PostScript and LaserWriters

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (04/30/85)

From: Brian Reid <reid@Glacier>

First I'd like to suggest that the list sidestep the comment from the
Xerox summer student and ask somebody at Xerox to show him the back
messages from this distribution--we've had this discussion before.

Second, I'd like to comment on Les Earnest's recent comment that "The
LaserWriter does character spacing wrong", and also on Henry Spencer's
comment (not quoted exactly but paraphrased from my memory) that "HP
LaserJet default character widths are all wrong, so I have to place
each character individually with my software. LaserWriter spacings are
all wrong and therefore LaserWriters are bad".

What many of you who have grown up with more rigid laser printer
systems seem to be misunderstanding is that you don't have to live with
the defaults if you don't like them. Almost everything that the
LaserWriter does can be changed, easily, by users or by programmers
writing software to generate output for it. Sure, there is a default
behavior, and the default behavior is what the folks at Adobe think you
should be doing. But if you don't like the default behavior, you can
change it easily. By "easily", I mean you don't have to go doing stuff
like individually positioning every character to ignore the widths
information. If you want to use different font shapes for different
point sizes, the just load 'em in and use 'em. If you want to use
bit-tuned rasters, then load them in the same way you would load them
in to any other brand of laser printer. If you want to change the width
data for a font, then just download a vector of 256 numbers and rewrite
the width vector for that font (the rewrite will be undone when your
job finishes printing, of course, unless it is done by the system
manager, in which case it will stick around between jobs). If you want
to write your own kerning procedure and have it called after every
character to look around and adjust spacing according to the pixel
resolution of the current machine and the identity of the next
character, then go for it!

In summary, the LaserWriter is engineered to do one thing by default,
trusting that the majority of the world (not composed of font maniacs)
will be happy with that. However, it is also engineered so that people
who ARE font maniacs can adjust its behavior to suit their beliefs as
to the "right thing" to do. And nobody has to resort to individual
positioning of characters in order to achieve those things, unless they
want to. Hey, it's a free country.

Since there is at least one new reader of L.L., I should repeat my
disclaimer that in what passes for my spare time I am a paid consultant
to Adobe Systems, who were involved in the design of the LaserWriter.
However, nothing I say in this forum is ever approved by them, and they
don't even see it until it goes out on the list.

	Brian Reid	decwrl!glacier!reid
	Stanford	reid@SU-Glacier.ARPA

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (05/02/85)

From: ihnp4!utzoo!henry@uw-beaver.arpa

> ... Henry Spencer's
> comment (not quoted exactly but paraphrased from my memory) that "HP
> LaserJet default character widths are all wrong, so I have to place
> each character individually with my software. LaserWriter spacings are
> all wrong and therefore LaserWriters are bad".
> [Brian then points out that LaserWriter software could juggle spacing
> in about the same way.]

Guilty, for the most part, with one small reservation:  from the viewpoint
of someone who merely wants his output typeset, there is a large difference
between "the software could do X" and "the software does do X".

				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology