[fa.laser-lovers] Oriental scripts on Apple Laserwriter and Macintosh

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (05/02/85)

From: SUSAN%vax2.ox@ucl-cs.arpa

Oriental scripts on a laserprinter and Macintosh or IBM PC

The Oriental Institute in Oxford is considering a small network of
Macintoshes or IBM PC's linked to a local laserprinter and to
the Computing Service VAXes. The Macs or PCs would be used in a
teaching environment to interrogate databases of literary texts which
are stored on the VAXes. The results of the searches would be displayed
in the original script on the screen or on the laserprinter. The
following languages are of interest: Arabic, Persian, Hebrew, Aramaic,
Sanskrit, Armenian, Syriac, Hindi and possibly Chinese and Japanese.

Has anybody done anything which might be relevant, particularly
on the Macintosh and Laserwriter?

Susan Hockey
Oxford University Computing Service

SUSAN%OX.VAX2@UCL-CS.ARPA

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (05/03/85)

From: LLi.ES@Xerox.ARPA

I'm not sure whether Apple has oriental scripts on the Macintosh, but
Xerox already has Chinese and Japanese word processing capability on the
Xerox 8010 Star workstation and the 8044 laser printer.  I am currently
using the Chinese Star and it works fairly well.  Two good articles on
this subject are:

J. Becker, "Multilingual Word Processing", Scientific American (7/84)
J. Becker, "Typing Chinese, Japanese, and Korean", IEEE Computer (1/85)

For your reference, I am also attaching excerpts from some messages I
collected earlier on this subject.

Leonard Li.
Xerox
701 s. Aviation Blvd.
El Segundo, CA 90245
(213) 536-7985

-------------------
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 84 09:13:27 est
From: VENEZKY <venezky%vax1%udel-cc-relay.delaware@UDEL-RELAY.ARPA>
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
Subject: Chinese characters

Has anyone developed Chinese character sets for the Mac?  If so, are
they
the reformed PRC characters or the older characters?  And how many?

Dick Venezky
University of Delaware

-------------------
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 84 21:40:19 est
From: VENEZKY <venezky%vax1%udel-cc-relay.delaware@UDEL-RELAY.ARPA>
To: LLi.ES
Subject: Re: Chinese characters

Leonard,

No one has replied yet with information, although I have had one other
request to share whatever is received.  I wrote recently to the Chinese
Language Computer Society, which held an international conference in
1982 on computer processing of Chinese characters.  I've not seen any
notices of published proceedings, however, just an ad for the meeting
itself.

Dick Venezky
University of Delaware

-------------------
Date:  7 Dec 84 16:10:01 PST (Friday)
From: Becker.PA
Subject: CStar Debuts in Taiwan
cc: .........

With support from Fuji Xerox and many of the "cc:" people above, Taiwan
Fuji Xerox is currently giving CStar its Asian debut at the "Information
Week" exposition in Taibei, which runs December 1-9.  The demonstration
set-up includes two Dandelion workstations with Kiku displays and
keyboards, plus file server and 3500 printer.  When I left (two days
ago), everything was running just fine.

Fuji Xerox and Taiwan Fuji Xerox are both showing great interest in
CStar, but are moving cautiously in this new territory.  In the case of
this "Information Week" show, they may have been a bit overcautious in
selecting a booth site that was unfortunately rather out-of-the-way from
the mainstream of visitors.  However, Taiwan Fuji Xerox did do some
press publicity, and I gave a long demo to an American reporter who
writes for the English-language computer journals in Asia.  Taiwan Fuji
Xerox is also arranging a demo to the government organization that
investigates various Chinese input methods.

Joe