[fa.laser-lovers] Oh no, not again. Do I have to say this again?

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (05/12/85)

From: Brian Reid <reid@Glacier>

Paul Rubin at Berkeley sent out a message containing this paragraph.
I'm sure that most of you on the net are sick of hearing it, but
evidently Paul (at least) didn't understand. He says:

>   The body type is extremely crisp and clear, but the intercharacter
> spacing is uneven and sloppy-looking.  This is probably as much the
> fault of the formatting software as the fonts themselves.  The fonts,
> in my opinion, look okay but not great.

This has nothing to do with the LaserWriter. Despite what employees and
stockholders of competing companies have said on this list, there is
nothing wrong with the intercharacter spacing on the LaserWriter.
Perhaps what is wrong is that the LaserWriter gives application
programs so much power to control things, and the author or user of
this particular application program did the formatting with the
incorrect width information. You will often see strange spacing on
documents that were produced with Macintosh software that predates the
LaserWriter--such as early MacWrite--because they are formatting the
page believing that it is going to get printed on an ImageWriter, which
has very different resolution and very different fonts.

>					  Because the type is so clear,
> I suspect that the people at the newspaper did their laser typesetting
> in a very large point size and the photo-reduced it somehow.  That
> would be supported by earlier claims on this list that the Postscript
> software in the Laserwriter does well at "normal" sizes (10, 12, etc.)
> but loses when the characters have to be scaled up or down by very
> much.

No, the type is so clear because the LaserWriter prints in beautiful
clear type. I'm sure they did it life size.

I am guessing that you must have believed what you read on the net, but
not completely understood it. Nobody, not even Imagen stockholders,
ever said that PostScript "loses when the characters have to be
scaled .... up by very much". First, the characters are not scaled up
or down, because the master copy does not exist in any particular size.
The truth is that regardless of whether or not you like the way the
PostScript fonts are spaced, the quality of the spacing improves as the
letters get bigger because the device resolution is finer with respect
to the character size as that size gets bigger.

Since I haven't really had any takers on my idea to distribute copies
of laser printer output in a national publication and let people decide
for themselves whether the spacing is good or bad, I would like to make
another offer. I will mail a few sheets of ordinary LaserWriter output,
formatted with my Scribe program, to anybody who sends me a stamped
self-addressed envelope. This output will not attempt to show off the
whizbang graphics capability of PostScript (which nobody at all has
challenged) but will just be ordinary text, in a variety of sizes, from
which you can see what the PostScript character spacing looks like.

If you are interested, mail to:

	Prof. Brian K. Reid
	Stanford University
	Computer Systems Laboratory
	Stanford, CA 94305

[Customary disclaimer: I am a paid consultant to Adobe Systems,
designers of PostScript.]
[Noncustomary claimer: I have a LaserWriter at home, which I bought
with many thousands of dollars of my own hard-earned money; I did not
receive any form of discount from Apple, Adobe, or anybody else on this
printer. I bought it at BusinessLand with a mixture of personal check
and American Express, and I bought it because I think it is the best
darn printer money can buy. At this point I am jumping to the defense
of the LaserWriter not because of my Adobe connection, but because I am
the happy and proud owner of one of these wonderful machines and I feel
slightly evangelistic about them. Don't you know any BMW owners who get
jumpy whenever anybody says anything false and derogatory about their
beloved automobiles?]