[fa.laser-lovers] LaserJet as Printer Replacement

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (05/09/85)

From: JRBRINKEMA@usc-isi.arpa

We are trying to use the HP LaserJet as a printer-replacement
(quiet and excellant quality).  But it appears that this can't
be done simply by unplugging the impact printer and plugging in
the LaserJet.  If for no other reason that it only allows
printing on 60 lines rather than 66 ...  and those spacing
line-feeds that most spoolers supply and nroff always adds count
as lines.  Thus we are faced with writing a mid processor that
handles (eats) the spacing lines or changing all our nroff stuff
to know about 66 and 60 lines ...  some thing we don't really
want to do.

Does anyone have any other approaches that we havn't seen?  tia.
jb.

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (05/09/85)

From: Bruce Wald <wald@nrl-css.arpa>

Appended is a filter for nroff output to a Laserjet, which,
in our case, is plugged into a vt-102 on ttyi4.  The ^[[5i
and ^[[4i are to turn the printer port on and off and would
not be needed if the printer had its own line; the rest is
to reset the Laserjet margins.  Nroff produces some ^[9's
at page breaks which have to be filtered out as they default
the Laserjet's margins.
-----

echo -n '^[[5i^[&l0E^[&l66F^[&a10L^[&l0L' >/dev/ttyi4
cat - | sed 's/^[9//g' >/dev/ttyi4
echo -n '^[E^[[4i' >/dev/ttyi4

-------

Bruce Wald

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (05/09/85)

From: starkweather.pa@xerox.arpa

I wrote a small program to use the LaserJet as an output printer for my
HP 9836CS. Using the RS-232C interface for the computer it is fairly
simple (a program) to output the listing etc. on the LaserJet. Also you
can put 66 lines or more depending on the font chosen.

Gary Starkweather - XEROX/PARC

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (05/12/85)

From: ihnp4!utzoo!henry@uw-beaver.arpa

> We are trying to use the HP LaserJet as a printer-replacement
> (quiet and excellant quality).  But it appears that this can't
> be done simply by unplugging the impact printer and plugging in
> the LaserJet.  If for no other reason that it only allows
> printing on 60 lines rather than 66 ...  and those spacing
> line-feeds that most spoolers supply and nroff always adds count
> as lines.  Thus we are faced with writing a mid processor that
> handles (eats) the spacing lines or changing all our nroff stuff
> to know about 66 and 60 lines ...  some thing we don't really
> want to do.
>
> Does anyone have any other approaches that we havn't seen?  tia.

Simply send the LaserJet the proper initialization sequences, and
there should be no problem.  You'll need to get those sequences
out to it somehow, either by hacking the spoolers and the nroff
terminal table or by running an initialization program at some
suitable time.  The LaserJet's default parameter settings are not
very useful.

The LaserJet is perfectly willing to pretend to be a 66-line printer,
although the top line or two is going to be blank whether you wanted
it that way or not.

				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (05/12/85)

From: ihnp4!mnetor!clewis@uw-beaver.arpa (Chris Lewis)

In order to get 66 lines per page, you can modify the printer
filter to emit the HP control sequences to change the vertical
motion index.  We use these in our System V printer filter at
the beginning of every print job:

echo "\033E\c"                      # Reset printer
echo "\033&l66P\c"                  # Page length of 66 lines
echo "\033&l2E\c"                   # Top margin of 2 lines
echo "\033&l7.6C\c"                 # Vertical motion index of 7.6
echo "\033&l66F\c"                  # Text length of 66 lines

[ Note: for example, the last one means:
	ESC&l66F (no carriage return) ]

Once you've done this, any software using 66 lines per page will
work transparently.  The only drawback is that the lines are
a little closer together than on a printer that can print on
ALL of the page.  The Laser won't go within about a half inch
of the top or bottom.

Similarly, when you are running landscape mode, you can use the
same escape sequence, except that the VMI should be somewhat
smaller (see the manual) for the shorter "length".  We print
"line-printer" like images using a 16 pitch font on a HP
cartridge that gives us 176 (or so) characters horizontally and
66 vertically.

Regarding another posting: I have the beginnings of a troff to
HP filter.  It works okay as long as you don't:
	1) Change page length
	2) Use fancy characters not in the HP
	3) Try to change font sizes.  (it attempts to enforce 10/inch)
Has anybody got some font files (we don't got Berkeley fonts even
tho we are running 4.2) that we could use in this?
Anybody interested in this software?
Chris Lewis,
UUCP: {allegra, linus, ihnp4}!utzoo!mnetor!clewis
BELL: (416)-475-8980 ext. 321

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (05/16/85)

From: ihnp4!alberta!auvax!derrick@uw-beaver.arpa (Derrick Rowlandson)

I can't figure out how to post to fa. newsgroups so i'm hoping this gets through
We have a Lazerjet and have not been able to run it on our UNIX system,
due to the lazerjet using the extended Roman character set(8 bit characters)
and our Vax(running 4.2) uses only seven data bits with Mark parity.
This mark parity causes the 8th bit to be allways a one, so the HP is
allways printing from it's extended Roman char. set.We've tried
'stty -even -odd' which should give us space parity but it doesn't seem to work.
Any suggestions on how to get the HP running on UNIX or on how to post this
to fa.lazer-lovers????

Any help is greatly appreciated.

derrick