[fa.laser-lovers] An inexpensive laser printer

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (05/21/85)

From: kevin@harvard.arpa (Kevin Crowston)

We are looking for an inexpensive (i.e. $4 to 8K) laser printer to
connect to an IBM PC.  The printer will be used mainly for letter
quality output, to replace a daisy wheel printer we currently have.
(Eventually we hope to develop some sort of print server software so
we can use the printer across the network.)  We are also interested in
packages such as micro-TEX, micro-Scribe, if such a thing exists,
troff, etc., so the laser printer should be able to handle these (or
vica versa).

I hesitate to ask, given the recent controversy, but what printer
would people recommend, given the above requirements?  What text
formatting package (along the lines mentioned above) are people using
on micros?

Kevin Crowston
MIT Sloan School of Management

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (05/22/85)

From: cornell!vax135!houxm!ho95b!wcs@uw-beaver.arpa

kevin@harvard.arpa (Kevin Crowston) is looking for
> ... an inexpensive (i.e. $4 to 8K) laser printer to
> connect to an IBM PC.  ... replace a daisy wheel printer
> ... [ TeX? troff? Scribe? ]

Until recently, I would have recommended the HP LaserJet, for about $4K.
However, they're about to come out with a new LaserJet model, with a
decent amount of memory and downloadable fonts.  My HP sales rep didn't
have a price when I last talked with him.  The original LaserJet does
bitmap graphics (but doesn't have enough memory), does a good
daisy-wheel emulation, has plug-in font cartridges, and can do troff if
you buy software (from Textware International or Elan Computers.)
I don't know about TeX support.  It's based on the Canon printing
engine, also used by the Apple LaserWriter and Imagen 8/300.  Therefore,
it produces very good print and has a hopelessly small paper tray.
If you want to spend $8-$10K, you can get the Apple or the Imagen,
which have been discussed a lot on this mailing list, and will do good
troff, TeX, and graphics.  If the new LaserJet is priced low, it should
be a very good product.  Also Canon is coming out with a printer under
their own label; may be interesting.
			Bill Stewart