[fa.laser-lovers] Colophons and Typographic Awareness

laser-lovers@cca.UUCP (06/04/85)

From: inmet!tower (Leonard H. Tower Jr.) <inmet!tower@cca-unix>

Date: Mon, 3 Jun 85 16:32:16 edt
Phone: 		+1 (617) 661-1840
I was sadden to read a recent posting by a well-known author, who
was unaware of the names of the typefaces used in his books.

This problem would have been solved if a colophon had been included
in the books (I checked them both out...).

A colophon, traditionally placed as the last page of a book (though the
copyright page is often used today), is a short description of the
typographic and design characteristics of the book:
	- typefaces/sizes used, and their designers
	- paper and binding used
	- typesetting system and presses used
	- press preparation and color separation techniques
	- etc.

Colophons are appearing less in books these days.  I miss them - they
got me interested in typography and printing, and their inclusion would
help in encouraging more people to care/learn about the graphic arts.

A partial solution is for authors to insist that the publisher,
typesetter, and printer of their books collaborate to include a
colophon.

-len tower